Eric Duncan

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

F9, Black Widow and Space Jam 2 had different release strategies (theatrical exclusive, same day on streaming with a $30 fee, and same day for no additional cost), and they all dropped around the same on their second weekend.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

I think Captain America is very interesting character. It's really amazing how a character with such name and personality became so famous worldwide. 

Usually, it doesn't happen. I mean Captain America is famous in countries where usually such characters are boycotted or made fun of. 

Johnny Walker in F&TWS is what most folks OS expected personality wise when they hear “Captain America” before Evans showed up and people realized “ok he’s Superman but with a shield.”

• Like 6

With MCU Cap, box office totals would indicate most people (especially OS) avoided TFA. Most people saw him for the first time in Avengers, then they showed up for TWS

as for GI Joe, I will say this: It had its opportunity to be a popular franchise because conceptually quibbles aside, historical record has shown that American right wing-flavored actioneers have had an audience overseas for decades. It's why Gerard Butler and those dang Angel Has ______ movies keep happening. 

The problem obvious is that Rise of Cobra sucked. One of those Aughts blockbusters informed by Batman Begins (too much perhaps) and tried to marry the serious grim storytelling (that whole Duke/Baroness/Cobra storyline is a mess) with a pulpy cartoonish landscape, and we don't get the best of either in that very awkward mess. (Basically if they could've threaded the needle? We would've gotten something like TWS perhaps.) They dropped the ball. Then the sequel, they reasoned it didn't do better because it was "too goofy" and yeah it wasn't as wonderfully silly as sinking icebergs, but you become more of a generic action/blockbuster template. So after two strikes, Joe as a movie property is DOA. Even if say Snake Eyes had miraculously been say Batman Begins AWESOMEZ!, it still would've been sandbagged by that property's albatross rep. Maybe done enough to ensure this rebooted series keeps going, but that's it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

No franchise is ever dead these days. They’ll keep making GI JOE movies no matter what. 

You’re not wrong. That town rides and dies on IPs.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Cap said:

Nothing works better than Steve Rogers punching a WWII Nazis in the face. 

Nazis were kind of UK, USA aka West problem. I will kind of prefer Nazis over British if have to chose between two evils. Strictly from body count, British killed more during World War in India and other colonies than Nazis.

Edited by charlie Jatinder

On 7/25/2021 at 12:47 PM, TwoMisfits said:

He's not getting Bond with those international numbers...when you're the new face of a franchise (that bombs) and you draw nowhere, they won't give you a bigger franchise to carry - they'll look for the guy that actually pulls folks in from somewhere...

He may not get a leading role for awhile, and may have to jump into an ensemble role after this one b/c those numbers are that bad...

But WB just cast that lady from In the Heights as the lead of Batgirl 👀

On 7/25/2021 at 6:22 PM, RockyMountain said:

The same audience that lead Titanic to make as much as it did. 13 year old girls. You think Marvel or Star Wars fans are intense. They pale in comparison to young girls looking at romance stories with cute guys in it.

Titanic is actually a good movie though.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Remember when they made a movie from the Battleship boardgame with aliens?

That's how thirsty Hollywood was for franchises.

I was thinking to myself earlier that I’m surprised they haven’t made a Iron Giant live action remake yet.

2 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Nazis were kind of UK, USA aka West problem. I will kind of prefer Nazis over British if have to chose between two evils. Strictly from body count, British killed more during World War in India and other colonies than Nazis.

Irony is India became independent because (among other reasons) UK went bankrupt from winning that war, ultimately allowed to do it’s own NAM thing during the Cold War. If the Axis had won, would India (which would’ve been part of Japan’s “Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere” of influence in this hypothetical Axis-dominated world) have been able to do that? 

(Of course “Man in the High Castle” dabbled with an AU Cold War between the Axis powers. I can’t remember India’s fate in book or show.)