Eric Atreides

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

The only major delay I see happening due to Delta is probably No Time to Die. MGM will probably get ahead and push it already just so that they won't be in a situation like they were in last year fall (even if the covid situation won't get anywhere near as bad as that). I don't see the rest moving unless theaters start closing again.

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The only major delay I see happening due to Delta is probably No Time to Die. MGM will probably get ahead and push it already just so that they won't be in a situation like they were in last year fall (even if the covid situation won't get anywhere near as bad as that). I don't see the rest moving unless theaters start closing again.

I disagree.  That is likely the least likely to move at this point. 

13 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I disagree.  That is likely the least likely to move at this point. 

Why? The last thing MGM will want is to risk another late move (when they will have made new deals with their promotional partners again for the 3rd time). The least likely to move are probably the day-and-date releases and Marvel stuff (especially the new Spider-man since a delay would mess up with their timelines).

Edited by lorddemaxus

6 hours ago, AJG said:

Snake Eyes is down to a horrific 70% Verified Aud score.

Still too small a sample (50+ People) so it might jump right up over night but right now I’m guessing B or B- Cinemascore.

This bitch is holding.

Im guessing a B- is more likely at this point. I’ve just never seen a verified score so low for one of these PG13 Hero films.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJG said:

This bitch is holding.

Im guessing a B- is more likely at this point. I’ve just never seen a verified score so low for one of these PG13 Hero films.

I know it’s verified but is it review bombing from fans for changing the mythology of character? I cannot imagine anyone but fans seeing this already so I have to ask 

Not sure why people are getting depressed about this weekend, Old looks par for the course for an M Night non-sequel release, and Snake Eyes is a poorly received and not wanted film in a stale franchise (the expected drop from the last GI Joe film is not dissimilar to Dark Phoenix from Apocalypse).

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Agreed, and am sympathetic to anyone in those situations.  

Way too many aren't though and are still staying locked inside.  That needs to stop.  

I think most people aren’t. Here in Oakland County , Michigan, the malls, restaurants etc are packed and 99% of people are not wearing masks 

I believe these  films are underperforming due to a combination of lack of interest and day and date streaming releases

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CJohn said:

I don't buy that excuse every week. Old was not even a 2020 movie. All marketing is from this year. Same with Snake Eyes. Also, while I think something like Snake Eyes was always doomed, other movies aren't performing well either. Box office is down because going to theaters isn't a priority and watching a movie is something people can do at home. People don't care where they see the movie as long as they are able to watch it. Theaters will be the last thing to recover, and that is if it ever happens, which personally I don't believe.

This, every week its everything but people have decided they are not going back to the movies as the reason and their might not be a recovery.  This is something TwoMisfit and myself and few others mentioned over and over the last year that people will start to stick to their new habit of just watching Disney+ instead of going out to the theater.  There has yet to be any indication at all that people are going to the movies just to go to the movies.  I think their is good evidence that for the major releases this year they have been down 20-30%. 

I'm visiting blue and progressive New York City which was devastated by the pandemic, and everything is packed and totally normal tbh outside of masks in the subway and museums. Vaccinated people are sick of minimizing their own lives and fun because of the selfish, myopic behavior of unvaccinated people - and unvaccinated people don't and have never cared, even when people were dying by the thousands. Short of evidence of a mutation that impacts vaccinated people, I think the genie is out of the bottle. 

• Like 6

I think two things can be simultaneously true: COVID has permanently changed people's viewing habits and will have negative box office impacts for years, AND that a fear of new cases isn't keeping anyone out of theaters that otherwise wants to go, whether vaccinated or unvaccinated. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The constant fear is the real disease even more than COVID Delta or whatever could hope for at this point.  

I'm a strong supporter of vaccinations, and you can see from all the data that the vaccines work and protect you.  Even if you get a breakthrough case, it is universally mild and you don't end up in the hospital.  

Knowing that science, what the hell are vaccinated people doing by not getting back out to life?  It's ridiculous.  

People scream about following the science, but then when presented with the fact that they might get a headache and some congestion for a few days they want to lock themselves indoors for another year.  

It is maddening.  

Alot of people have kids who aren't vaccinated then you have at least 40% of the population who are anti-vaxxers.

That's obviously going to make a dent in ticket sales.

41 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If Sony moves No Way Home it screws Disney/Marvel big time.

They'll have to push back everything, maybe a dozen projects.

Box office is gonna be impacted by Covid for years. How far can Sony delay this movie?

Could just could it be that nobody really wanted to see Old or Snake Eye. Last week Space Jam overperformed in theaters and the week before that we Had Black Widow and F9.  It seems that people are OK coming back to the theaters as long as the movie they want to see. Old and Snake Eyes had very weak pre sales and no hype.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Is the Space Jam drop going to be that catastrophic?

If it's under $10.4M (which Deadline seemed to say it was), that would be at least a 67% drop, and it's probably more b/c Deadline didn't say it was a race for 3rd...so you are probably looking at 70%, so yes?

It's too bad, b/c it's worth seeing for sports and Looney fans...even if you don't like Lebron, b/c he allows himself to be the butt of jokes quite a few times:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

No Time To Die has been burning a hole in MGM's pockets for a year and a half. The marketplace has shown with F9 that films can still make $600 million+ in the current marketplace (even if they suck and audiences don't seem to like them very much).

There's no way Bond moves.

Edited by The Dark Shape