Eric Atreides

Flop Weekend Thread (7/23-25): Old 16.5M, Snake Eyes 13.35, Black Widow 11.6 (-56%), Space Jam 9.56 (-69%) | Theaters are dead? Long live streaming?

all of european majors have a full vaccinations of around  45 % by nov that number should be around 60% or so , thats not enough for herd immunity but if they need to lockdown again with 60% full vaccinations then idk what else to say..............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

all of european majors have a full vaccinations of around  45 % by nov that number should be around 60% or so , thats not enough for herd immunity but if they need to lockdown again with 60% full vaccinations then idk what else to say..............

60% isn't enough for herd immunity, especially with a variant that's easier to spread.

I still don't get why MGM and EON are so adamant for a October-November release lately. Its release date was April 2020 for a long time, should have released it in May or June this year. Now there are chances of it getting delayed again and they probably don't want it to be on SVOD either.

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

60% isn't enough for herd immunity, especially with a variant that's easier to spread.

indeed however, lockdown shouldnt not be the solution when you have vacc 60% of your population , you mean to tell me that its all or nothing ? 0% and we are screwed but 80-90 % and we are okey ? so basically 60% is like 0 % ? , regional lockdowns unfortunately will happen, but i dont think  nationwide

• Haha 1

Escape Room with that weak Friday increase as well. I noticed all films had bad Thursday drops too. 

Space Jam another film to have a huge second weekend drop during the pandemic/+ streaming era.

It could be the new norm. 

“Old,” the newest thriller from director M. Night Shyamalan, is poised to top the domestic box office charts this weekend with an estimated $15.75 million.

The Universal film, starring Alex Wolff and Thomasin McKenzie, took in $6.8 million from 3,355 theaters on Friday.

Coming in close behind “Old” is “Snake Eyes,” a “G.I. Joe” origin story starring Henry Golding. The Paramount film is poised to bring in $13.2 million at the box office this weekend, which is a bit lower than the $15 to $16 million predicted earlier in the week. “Snake Eyes” brought in $5.47 million on Friday from 3,521 theaters.

https://variety.com/2021/film/box-office/old-box-office-m-night-shyamalan-1235026792/

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

WoM is also a factor; but obviously not as big as streaming.

Literally everything is dropping, wom is not important factor anymore. 

Also, it's not like Black Widow has bad wom that some people are trying to push. 

How is it hard to belive that people are again becoming disinterested in going to cinema? You will see this soon as more movies start to release. 

We are far from normalcy. 

Edited by Madhuvan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ant Man 2 and SM FFH also had big drops but stabilised after that. And Ant Man 2 actually had A- cinemascore. 

It's very obvious what's happening right now if you think about it. Covid cases are literally rising again. 

Overseas is probably a different story but I’m n out buying COVID is hurting these movies domestically. Like I said here in Michigan everything is pretty much back to normal (restaurants, malls, bars, gyms etc). I think WOM/interest and streaming options are the bigger culprits 

• Like 1

After Jungle Cruise comes out next week the delay announcements from Disney will come.

Also very LOL that its all the Americans telling us rising COVID cases are not effecting people going to the theaters.... very telling

Edited by Ryaner90
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1