Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

About trailers for the upcoming late fall/winter movies (Matrix, Spidey, WSS etc) i don't expect anything until September. I think studios are still waiting to see how Delta variant is spreading. Also, the OS market needs time to recover. Who knows, maybe some movies will be moved to next year.

Edited by Maggie

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The pressure is on for Shang-Chi, folks. If it does well, them the rest of the year should be fine. If not, then we'll be in delay season yet again.

You want that No Way Home trailer? Go throw Simu Liu a bone.

I think some movies can't be moved anymore. Like Bond, no way that moves again. And most movies delayed from last year will probably keep the date. Bond movie will show if adults are willing to come back to the theaters. It's not only about Shang Chi, young people are back, let's see if adults are stepping back in theaters

Edited by Maggie

I sincerely doubt Shang-Chi is the make or break movie for reasons I outlined in last weekend's thread. No Time to Die would be a much more appropriate fit for that criteria, but even then, studios won't keep delaying their films when we have vaccines widely available.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The pressure is on for Shang-Chi, folks. If it does well, them the rest of the year should be fine. If not, then we'll be in delay season yet again.

You want that No Way Home trailer? Go throw Simu Liu a bone.

I don't think Shang Chi matters unless it goes ballistic or really bombs as it will be hard to separate the bad release date from COVID and other factors.

I don't think No Time to Die could survive another delay regardless. It's been a completed movie that was about to come out for almost a year-and-a-half already. At this point they'll just settle for a diminished total instead of raising the bill by keeping it on the shelf for a longer period of time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't think No Time to Die could survive another delay regardless. It's been a completed movie that was about to come out for almost a year-and-a-half already. At this point they'll just settle for a diminished total instead of raising the bill by keeping it on the shelf for a longer period of time.

They also don't want to risk Daniel Craig going berserk at the EON and MGM offices for being held in the film's promotional campaign for almost 2 years.

2 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I sincerely doubt Shang-Chi is the make or break movie for reasons I outlined in last weekend's thread. No Time to Die would be a much more appropriate fit for that criteria, but even then, studios won't keep delaying their films when we have vaccines widely available.

Vaccines aren’t widely available around the world, though. They’re just very available in some countries. 

• Like 2

On 7/30/2021 at 8:41 AM, grim22 said:

Really good deep dive into the ScarJo case. Pretty much will come down to whether the court considers emails or not, if it ever actually goes to trial, which it won't because Disney will not want discovery

Unless the contact specifically forbad  a dual release, Scarjo does not have much of a case, from a strictly legal point of view.

Main result it going to be every contract from now will deal with the issue of streaming.

I'm not sure there will be many delays if Shang Chi do bad overseas.

Overseas numbers are bad for the past weeks now because lots of countries are in the middle of a wave with Delta.

Like every wave before, things will slow down soon. Things could be bad by September and harming Shang Chi overseas, but could easily be way better by October too.

Things are extremelly volatile and we know that now, there's no reason to get the big movies for the rest of the year delayed to 2022, especially movies like NTTD and Top Gun who are way off timing already and need to be released before all the interest disappear.

• Like 1