Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why is it considered damage control for Disney to release PA numbers.

Are they supposed to hide a third of their OW revenue?

Disney never released their OW revenue in the past nor now, that I can remember and always made number about movie has little public has they can usually (would be happy to even see what a slate did, I do not remember even doing that).

Not so long ago 75% of their movie revenues was from DVD and TV, they kept all of that well hidden.

The DOM OW number for Jungle Cruise is actually really solid.

The PA WW total is quite good too when compared to something like Black Widow which is a much bigger deal.

The real disaster is the OS OW. Just 27M is atrocious. We are looking at a 250M WW total (300M with PA). That is terrible. Way too many markets are still weak or closed for a movie like Jungle Cruise to thrive at the box office.

27 minutes ago, CJohn said:

The DOM OW number for Jungle Cruise is actually really solid.

The PA WW total is quite good too when compared to something like Black Widow which is a much bigger deal.

The real disaster is the OS OW. Just 27M is atrocious. We are looking at a 250M WW total (300M with PA). That is terrible. Way too many markets are still weak or closed for a movie like Jungle Cruise to thrive at the box office.

Delta seems to be having way more negative impact on overseas than domestic.

Even BW which came out way earlier in July seems to have a worst OS performance than it should based on it's debut.

Things overseas should be better by October. My doubt is if US will be bad by then, considering not everyone wants to be vaacinated.

9 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Why is it considered damage control for Disney to release PA numbers?

Are they supposed to hide a third of their OW revenue?

Because they refrained from releasing numbers for Mulan, Raya and Cruella before.

& clearly Black Widow, though not necessarily Jungle Cruise, would've been expected to do more pre-pandemic. 

Obviously it's impossible to compare, but then everything besides BO gross has been so opaque for so long. 

They didn't even give any follow up numbers for Widow. Clearly PA is frontloaded. Every additional week it gets closer to being free. Also PA isn't available worldwide and piracy is global especially with OS markets closed or limited. 

Anyway it's a reckoning for the West. Hoarded vaccines and yet still can't even vaccinate to herd immunity in their own countries but fucked over and continue to fuck over poorer countries. If another variant pops up that is even worse than Delta, shall we just let Pfizer and Moderna hold the world to ransom? Systemic collapse would be in store sooner or later all for the sake of shareholder profits. 

• Like 2

Its weird to me  that some people saying that delta affects os numbers even though fast 9 continues to have very good drops........as for bw and jungle cruise reception,pa ,piracy and lack of hype (jungle cruise) are what hurt them as for bw 200 mill os without south east asia and china and with pa and piracy all things considered is decent......os seems to be weaker than dom yes but when you have movies like fast 9 ,a quite place 2 etc keep holding well os (fast 9 released in germany and france later than bw did and had a better ow than bw by a decent margin especially in germany) when you take all these things into account you cant say that covid is THE MAIN REASON if it was then fast 9 wouldnt do well os........

Edited by john2000

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Its weird to me  that some people saying that delta affects os numbers even though fast 9 continues to have very good drops........as for bw and jungle cruise reception,pa ,piracy and lack of hype (jungle cruise) are what hurt them as for bw 200 mill os without south east asia and china and with pa and piracy all things considered is decent......os seems to be weaker than dom yes but when you have movies like fast 9 ,a quite place 2 etc keep holding well os (fast 9 released in germany and france later than bw did and had a better ow than bw by a decent margin especially in germany) when you take all these things into account you cant say that covid is THE MAIN REASON if it was then fast 9 wouldnt do well os........

In America, I agree and think legal streaming options and piracy are the main reason. Then covid. 

However in some countries internationally, covid is still the main reason because some of their cinemas are completely closed, they’re in lockdown or you need both of your vaccinations to go. It’s so complex and makes comparisons impossible. 

13 minutes ago, john2000 said:

F9 released a few weeks back when Delta was not prime time news

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

In America, I agree and think legal streaming options and piracy are the main reason. Then covid. 

However in some countries internationally, covid is still the main reason because some of their cinemas are completely closed, they’re in lockdown or you need both of your vaccinations to go. It’s so complex and makes comparisons impossible. 

Of course  like i said covid has affected os more than dom so far and os countries are in various situation but my point was that the os situation is not as bad as some people say as of now the countries that are in lockdown are the south east asia region and some states of australia thats it i think (feel free to correct me ) so in the end os while not an ideal situation its far from dead

6 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Of course  like i said covid has affected os more than dom so far and os countries are in various situation but my point was that the os situation is not as bad as some people say as of now the countries that are in lockdown are the south east asia region and some states of australia thats it i think (feel free to correct me ) so in the end os while not an ideal situation its far from dead

Delta is just spreading through Europe. I think lockdowns will happen in September. Shang Chi is fucked. I agree though, looking at how BW is performing OS, i think F9 would have done way better than BW in normal times

Edited by Maggie

18 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Delta is just spreading through Europe. I think lockdowns will happen in September. Shang Chi is fucked. I agree though, looking at how BW is performing OS, i think F9 would have done way better than BW in normal times

Not really by sept all of european majors will have fully vacc 60% of their population delta or not if they still need nationwide lockdown (which they dont work) then idk what to say

1 hour ago, john2000 said:

How much did F8 make OS? BW shouldn't be expected to have the same pull overseas.

• Like 1