Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

11 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

The article is gargabe tho, didn't see the lie.

They analyze how good things went for AQP2 and F9, and then we have disappointments with BW, Old and now JC.

I get that BW have a terrible internal multi on OW and bad legs, but it's still the biggest debut of the pandemic and it will be the biggest movie domestic too despite PA. How F9 is such a hit and BW grossing more is a bad result? These double standards is unfair especially right now with Delta concerns etc.

Old cost $ 18M and gross almost that on OW alone, and the 2nd weekend drop is not even that bad for the genre, again where's the disappointment? 

And then JC, of course it's a 200M movie and being logical, 35M opening would be a disaster in 2019 and sure won't be profitable now. But context matter, they talk about how it should opened with 80-100M to be profitable, i mean, that's not even close to realistic right now especially with PA available. The tracking is 20-25M, being disappointed because it opened way higher than that is nonsense.

This overall feeling that every number is bad is really annoying. Things are far from great and everyone knows it but at this point is more than clear we can't keep expecting things to suddenly be like it was in 2019 to be satisfied.

I'm sad for TSS because i'm sure even if it open with +50M, there will still be some article saying it's another disaster too because the last one opened with 133M. Media needs to be more flexible and understand the situation. 

F9 is at $642M WW

BW is at $343M WW

With similar budget and circumstances.

Maybe that's why one is seen as a success and the other isnt.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

F9 is at $642M WW

BW is at $343M WW

You forget that fast 9 released in china and made 220 million there while bw hasnt

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

F9 is at $642M WW

BW is at $343M WW

Lol, take that 220M$ from China and more from the south east Asia markets and both will have the same boxoffice. Don't spin things around. F9 to Universal is more important than BW to Disney. The fact is that both are financially disaster for thier studios. Surely the pandemic had a big effect in this situation. But studios must realize the stakes are becoming more challenging in the business.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

You forget that fast 9 released in china and made 220 million there while bw hasnt

I'm not forgetting. Just saying the numbers are what they are. A movie that has made $300M more of course isnt going to be viewed the same. Why would it be?

Just now, Finnick said:

Lol, take that 220M$ from China and more from the south east Asia markets and both will have the same boxoffice. Don't spin things around. F9 to Universal is more important than BW to Disney. The fact is that both are financially disaster for thier studios. Surely the pandemic had a big effect in this situation. But studios must realize the stakes are becoming more challenging in the business.

What spin? One movie has made more money than the other by a significant amount. 

"Take away this money it's made and they're the same amount" is not an argument. 

We will see what BW makes when it gets a China release.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

I wasnt a huge fan of the film, thought it would be in the bottom half of his films but I'm really happy it has been a success. Horror seems to be doing well for itself still between this, conjuring 3 and quiet place 2 

Edited by Dominic Brehetto

24 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

F9 is at $642M WW

BW is at $343M WW

Imagine actually believing this :hahaha:

5 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

The article discusses both domestic and worldwide.

Mainly domestic, especially about the "disappointments". 

If we're going to act this way, not a single big movie this year is actually a success. But like i said, context matters in this environment.

I was only questioning the double standards and incoherent statements about their examples, not only BW. You seems upset and honestly i don't know why.

• ...wtf 1

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Mainly domestic, especially about the "disappointments". 

If we're going to act this way, not a single big movie this year is actually a success. But like i said, context matters in this environment.

I was only questioning the double standards and incoherent statements about their examples, not only BW. You seems upset and honestly i don't know why.

You seem upset about BW and JC being slighted in some imagined way. 

I'm not seeing the double standard but that's fine. We can end this conversation here no need to keep going.

Edited by Dominic Brehetto
  • Like 1
  • ...wtf 1