Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

7 minutes ago, katnisscinnaplex said:

I'm thinking closer to $20 than $50m at this point

I think it probably does around the same as space james. But I could see it exceeding that a little and maybe approaching 40M with the reviews seeming very strong 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

“Yikes”? That’s the same as Midsommar, pre-pandemic. 

Did anyone really expect more? 

Per normal, the over selling in the cities for presales created higher than necessary expectations with some around here. Its a solid number and well within tracking. 

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Sure I thought maybe it could break 10M. But i don't thinkthe numbers are bad

3 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Per normal, the over selling in the cities for presales created higher than necessary expectations with some around here. Its a solid number and well within tracking. 

Ah! well $750k previews didn’t scream breakout. Plus, it looks like a tough sell. 

I too am confused about the claims that The Green Knight was sold as something more epic. IMO the previews made it clear that it was a strange indie in medieval clothing (and apparently it is exactly that). Even when I got the trailer before F9 the general vibe of the audience towards it was WTF. $6M opening for something that was always going to have a limited audience seems pretty good to me.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

It's funny how whether an opening is disappointing or not only has to do whether it beats the early assessments, with zero consideration for the budget or franchise or marketing. It's how Space Jam 2's opening of 30m was somehow considered great here because it beat the 20m predictions.

24 minutes ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Won't it be lucky to crack 50M?

Maybe, what do I know. i'm basing this of the fact I believe'd it will be bigger than BW. Granted I'm not sure what the Delta situation is like in the US

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

It's funny how whether an opening is disappointing or not only has to do whether it beats the early assessments, with zero consideration for the budget or franchise or marketing. It's how Space Jam 2's opening of 30m was somehow considered great here because it beat the 20m predictions.

even in pre pandemic times 150 mill budget for space jam imo was insane ,at this point an ow is judged by its pre pandemic expectations it seems 

24 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Maybe, what do I know. i'm basing this of the fact I believe'd it will be bigger than BW. Granted I'm not sure what the Delta situation is like in the US

It won't be bigger than BW. If it opens to half of BW I would consider that a positive surprise given the current presales.

• Like 1

I bet Disney won’t even release D+ numbers this weekend. They only released them so that they could control the narrative for Widow because the movie came in at the lower end of expectations.

Jungle Cruise will match higher end expectations. Disney doesn’t need D+ numbers to make up anything.