Jump to content
Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (7/30-8/1) | Jungle Cruise 34.2M DOM, 27.6 OS, 30M PA | Green Knight 6.78, Old 6.76, Widow 6.4, Stillwater 5.1

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I bet Disney won’t even release D+ numbers this weekend. They only released them so that they could control the narrative for Widow because the movie came in at the lower end of expectations.

 

Jungle Cruise will match higher end expectations. Disney doesn’t need D+ numbers to make up anything.


Isn’t it a 200m movie? Even with the lower pandemic expectations, it’s basically coming in at less than half of BW while costing just as much. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Plain Old Tele said:


Isn’t it a 200m movie? Even with the lower pandemic expectations, it’s basically coming in at less than half of BW while costing just as much. 

 

And it's D+ is sure to also be less than half as much...

 

It is an expected, but tragic, open for Disney...maybe it's why they won't pay Scarlett what's she due, b/c this year has been rough for their film side...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:


Isn’t it a 200m movie? Even with the lower pandemic expectations, it’s basically coming in at less than half of BW while costing just as much. 

Because it’s about perception 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:


Isn’t it a 200m movie? Even with the lower pandemic expectations, it’s basically coming in at less than half of BW while costing just as much. 

It's about perception.

 

Considering this movie is being delayed since 2019, it's based on a ride, PA release... It's a good opening.

 

I feel that there wasn't any buzz for this just 20 days ago, everyone is predicting 20M or lower, so 33-34M OW is good (and also can have good legs).

 

I'm sure if TSS open the same way everyone will freakout because it's a DC movie and in theory, it should be able to surpass a long delayed theme park movie, so yeah, perception.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

I won't be quick to call Jungle Cruise flop and underperformance in covid times because Suicide Squad isn't looking good either. 

 

If JC is flop then TSS is looking like a disaster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

 

 

I'm sure if TSS open the same way everyone will freakout because it's a DC movie and in theory, it should be able to surpass a long delayed theme park movie, so yeah, perception.

I am with you here. TSS opening to 30m should be considered disaster and not a win for anyone. Considering it won't even get PA money and marketing was much hyper than that of JC. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure why people are thinking that @Plain Old Tele would pretend that it isn't terrible for TSS if it opens to similar numbers. I'm pretty sure he would think it's terrible like most people here. Weird whataboutism.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Because it’s about perception 

 

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

It's about perception.

 

Considering this movie is being delayed since 2019, it's based on a ride, PA release... It's a good opening.

 

I'm sure if TSS open the same way everyone will freakout because it's a DC movie and in theory, it should be able to surpass a long delayed theme park movie, so yeah, perception.


 

Are people going to be using “it’s about perception” when TSS does $20-30m next weekend? With the exact same budget as Jungle Cruise (less costly though, because it hasn’t been delayed). 
 

Being based on a ride isn’t an excuse, btw. It’s a well known property that millions and millions of people have been on. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good for Jungle Cruise, all things considered. With a $200M budget it has a long way to go until it reaches profitability, so good chance Disney won't pursue a franchise here, but the numbers are good enough that their plans to turn their theme park attractions into movies won't be derailed (one has to assume the Tiffany Haddish/LaKeith Stanfield Haunted Mansion movie won't cost anywhere nearly as much).

 

Stillwater will be used as the latest evidence of adult crowds continuing to avoid multiplexes during an ongoing pandemic but it would've been a tough sell in any situation. At least Amanda Knox is happy to see these numbers, I guess.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I won't be quick to call Jungle Cruise flop and underperformance in covid times because Suicide Squad isn't looking good either. 

 

If JC is flop then TSS is looking like a disaster. 

To me if it surpass 100M domestic, it's a success in this environment.

 

We're in August and just 4 movies reach this milestone, so i feel like that is the goal on this times for a "successful" movie.

 

My dream is to see JC, TSS and Free Guy all surpassing 100M. Right now i'm not that interested in see one smash movie saving theaters, i care more with multiple movies having decent grosses, for me it's better for the industry.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

 


 

Are people going to be using “it’s about perception” when TSS does $20-30m next weekend? With the exact same budget as Jungle Cruise (less costly though, because it hasn’t been delayed). 
 

Being based on a ride isn’t an excuse, btw. It’s a well known property that millions and millions of people have been on. 

Sure, we have lots of huge movies based on rides recently...

 

And no, if a DC movie open with 20M i'm sure nobody will pretend it's good. 40M is the minimum it should do.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am with you here. TSS opening to 30m should be considered disaster and not a win for anyone. Considering it won't even get PA money and marketing was much hyper than that of JC. 


It would be as bad if not worse for TSS, given how much the first movie made despite having awful reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

JC is pretty terrible financially. But at least not quite as terrible as it looked like a few weeks ago.  Which is, you know, not really the result studios are looking for at the end of the day — but at least slightly beats out “terrible and even more terrible than it seemed like a few weeks ago.”

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

To me if it surpass 100M domestic, it's a success in this environment.

 

We're in August and just 4 movies reach this milestone, so i feel like that is the goal on this times for a "successful" movie.

 

My dream is to see JC, TSS and Free Guy all surpassing 100M. Right now i'm not that interested in see one smash movie saving theaters, i care more with multiple movies having decent grosses, for me it's better for the industry.

On point. And with initial reactions, it looks like Free Guy might actually get good reviews. Hoping it does good too. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Good for Jungle Cruise, all things considered. With a $200M budget it has a long way to go until it reaches profitability, so good chance Disney won't pursue a franchise here, but the numbers are good enough that their plans to turn their theme park attractions into movies won't be derailed (one has to assume the Tiffany Haddish/LaKeith Stanfield Haunted Mansion movie won't cost anywhere nearly as much).

 

Stillwater will be used as the latest evidence of adult crowds continuing to avoid multiplexes during an ongoing pandemic but it would've been a tough sell in any situation. At least Amanda Knox is happy to see these numbers, I guess.

Stillwater is doing good in the right markets. Sold out last night at my cinema, even did better than Jungle Cruise for Friday. I think it’s just about the fact that no one was interested in it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

JC is pretty terrible financially. But at least not quite as terrible as it looked like a few weeks ago.  Which is, you know, not really the result studios are looking for at the end of the day — but at least slightly beats out “terrible and even more terrible than it seemed like a few weeks ago.”

If it manages to hit $100M with everything else has to compete with (a resurgence in pandemic concerns, being available to watch at home even if it's being hidden behind a relatively expensive paywall), they'll be fine with it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.