Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

1 minute ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

$30M is definitely out of the question. It's not a matter of if, but how much money WB is going to lose on this. Any hopes of a weekly release for Peacemaker will be nicely dashed after this weekend, since WB will likely dump it all at once and move on.

One would hope WB has learned from their past not to precisely panic like you’re suggesting. Is this a vain hope?

I wouldn’t be shocked if the suits will try to argue “Harley just ain’t that popular” or something silly-to-us-but-logical-to-execs Hollywood logic.

A little far fetched but JC-TSS fight next weekend will be interesting.

Granted JC make $15M this weekend and drop same as Christopher Robin in 3rd weekend i.e. 32%, it could be $10.2M. 

TSS, say $21M True FSS. May be 55% drop gives $9.5M. BW drop of 62% will mean $8M weekend. 

In case of latter, JC can afford 46% drop even.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

#TheSuicideSquadTheSuicideSquad_Red_2021.png opened #1 at FRI #boxoffice with $12.15M incl THU pre-shows. CinemaScore is B+. Full opening wknd for R-rated pic looks headed to $26-28M neighborhood which will be well below $39.5M opening DAY of PG-13 #BlackWidowDisney_BlackWidow_Symbol_2021_V2.png from a month ago. Both had streaming option.

I mean the number are bad but WTF is this comparisson 

2 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

What’s crazy is BOP cost 82 million (others claim up to 100) while TSS’s budget number reported is 185. Honestly this had a BOP budget, this wouldn’t be that bad of a potential opening honestly, as long as OS was fine/decent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

I mean in a vacuum just about numbers this is correct but comparing R rated to PG-13 films is Apple/oranges ain’t it? A little unfair to say the least.

Exactly this! I hate dumping on movies, even those I didn’t like. People work hard to make their art and it’s fine not to like it, but this board has been waiting for a few weeks to dump on this movie. That’s why mods had to shut down the tracking thread so many times. Comparing it to PG rated movies is unfair, simply because most responsible parents won’t take their pre-teens to see R rated movies. Therefore, the non family factor, plus it being available for free would impact its box office. 

Edited by Ms Lady Hawk
  • Like 1

Don’t forget guys…before you fully meltdown 

The Facts….

The Suicide Squad is available in 4K HDR to 40 million plus HBO Max subscribers for NO ADDITIONAL COST. A subscriber base of over 40 million, with an average subscriber of probably two to three viewers.  It’s a phenomenal spanner in the works of its box office performance and cannot be compared to the Disney Premier Access model asking for $30. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, RRA said:

One would hope WB has learned from their past not to precisely panic like you’re suggesting. Is this a vain hope?

I wouldn’t be shocked if the suits will try to argue “Harley just ain’t that popular” or something silly-to-us-but-logical-to-execs Hollywood logic.

I think WB are well aware of the multiple mitigating circumstances that this film has going against it. It’s probably unlikely we see another Suicide Squad any time soon though, but honestly, since this one is very much standalone, it doesn’t really matter. I’m just glad we got this film in its current form, it’s kind of a miracle we got it at all really.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Denis Villenueve is watching this weekend very closely though…

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I think moviegoers have been conditioned that if a movie looks like it belongs on streaming they are not going to pay to see it until it comes out on streaming or just watch it on streaming if it's available 

the  days of 200 - 300 Million + budget movies are gone for at least 20 years, studios need cut their budgets in half, if they want to make any money right now

Ran out of likes but could not agree more.  COVID is going to get all of the blame but all COVID did was accelerate what was already happening in the industry.  Outside of the hyper hits like Endgame and Star Wars the industry was shrinking rapidly.

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

The Facts….

The Suicide Squad is available in 4K HDR to 40 million plus HBO Max subscribers for NO ADDITIONAL COST. A subscriber base of over 40 million, with an average subscriber of probably two to three viewers.  It’s a phenomenal spanner in the works of its box office performance and cannot be compared to the Disney Premier Access model asking for $30. 

And? Still doesn't excuse this result. It's not much higher than Mortal Kombat and a lot less than Godzilla vs Kong, all with the same factors.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, exomassey said:

This is not great.

I know Delta, rating, piracy and all that but I least expected it to beat Space Jam 2 lol.

Actually this is even lower than Conjuring 3 and MK if you factor in 4.1m preview which C3 and MK didn't have back then.Not to mention both of them have far lower budget. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Firepower said:

And? Still doesn't excuse this result. It's not much higher than Mortal Kombat and a lot less than Godzilla vs Kong, all with the same factors.

Don’t underestimate how savvy people have become in how to watch new movies now they’re getting used to the current distribution strategy.  GvK is a lifetime ago as far as audience awareness for what they can now watch at home.  The coverage over day and date has been the main talking point this summer. 

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

The Facts….

I get what you’re saying but let’s remember a problem with day/date releases that hurt BW and will hurt TSS too: piracy since HD bootlegs snap come out rather quickly now. 

• Like 1

Just now, exomassey said:

This is not great.

I know Delta, rating, piracy and all that but I least expected it to beat Space Jam 2 lol.

Why? Space Jam 2 was PG rated and had a marquee personality in Lebron James. TSS had to overcome its R rating and it didn’t have a huge draw in terms of actors. I don’t think this result is good. It is disappointing, but the sky is not falling. It will do bang up business for HBOMAX and that seems to be the top priority for Warner - at least for the foreseeable future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Ran out of likes but could not agree more.  COVID is going to get all of the blame but all COVID did was accelerate what was already happening in the industry.  Outside of the hyper hits like Endgame and Star Wars the industry was shrinking rapidly.

Got to admit, prior to Covid I’d have gone to see something like Stillwater in theatres, but right now, I can wait. If it doesn’t scream “see it big”, I can see things struggling, at least in the short term.

Just now, exomassey said:

This is not great.

R vs PG isn’t really a fair comparison though is it really. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a disappointing result for TSS, but one film has Lebron playing basketball with Bugs Bunny and the other has dudes getting their faces blown off. The one that appeals to kids is obviously going to do better at this specific moment in time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

And 2020 up to now, I fear folks have become even more conditioned or ok with staying home to watch something. Before the plague, we were worried about getting people to go to theaters unless it’s an “event” movie and now that might not even be enough in the long term.

13 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

$30M is definitely out of the question. It's not a matter of if, but how much money WB is going to lose on this. Any hopes of a weekly release for Peacemaker will be nicely dashed after this weekend, since WB will likely dump it all at once and move on.

And how much money "lost" Netflix with The Irishman?

• Like 1