Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

2 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Why? Space Jam 2 was PG rated and had a marquee personality in Lebron James. TSS had to overcome its R rating and it didn’t have a huge draw in terms of actors. I don’t think this result is good. It is disappointing, but the sky is not falling. It will do bang up business for HBOMAX and that seems to be the top priority for Warner - at least for the foreseeable future. 

Ok I agree to an extent.

However this a DC comic book movie that is getting great reviews. It features big stars like Margot Robbie, Viola Davies and John Cena.

Also can we really use the r rating as an excuse now that Joker grossed over 1 billion worldwide? 

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

I get what you’re saying but let’s remember a problem with day/date releases that hurt BW and will hurt TSS too: piracy since HD bootlegs snap come out rather quickly now. 

100%. I’ve been banging the piracy drum for weeks on here and ended up getting a warning for it, so dialled it back a bit. But yeah, I think savvy youngsters have been watching this for nothing in droves via piracy. 
They didn’t care about Mortal Kombat, but they were watching TSS opening day via whatever free means they could, without question. And why wouldn’t they? 
The answer to the problem is just don’t give them it in the first place!  The younger demograph are the most important audience for cinemas. 

• Like 1

This is terrible, we just had a 35M OW from a movie that wasn't even hyped.

I know numbers are just ok for a few time now and Delta is a problem, but clearly there's room to opening way better than this.

While i understand all the things this movie have against it, it's still a DC movie, and a big one. I would be perfectly fine with 40M OW because i'm fair, but 25-27M to me is unnaceptable.

Warner needs to discover what exactly make this tepid results possible, because HBO Max hurtfull as it is for box office didn't stop movies like Space Jam to open with +30M very recently, even Mortal Kombat opened with basically the same of TSS but in a way worse environment.

And before some fanboy think i'm dumping it, i loved this movie, it's one of my favorites CBM movies on first view, but we can't blind ourselves just because we liked it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think the bigger/biggest thing is The Suicide Squad is flat out confusing to anyone in the general audience.  Think of it from a normal perspective, you have a movie that is coming out with some of the same cast from a movie that came out to awful awful reviews only a few years ago.  Then there are a bunch of new cast members, but everything looks completely different and way goofier.  Where the hell did Will Smith go?  Why does the military guy (Joel Kinman) now wearing a t-shirt and has an odd haircut?

Obviously the actual movie is a billion times better, but the marketing for it was nearly impossible.  It isn't a movie that the general public is going to go out and buy a ticket for in any huge numbers.  Then throw in HBOMax and Delta and you have a $28m-$30m opening weekend.  

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

I won't be surprised if Free Guy topped TSS as the biggest grosser in August. 

I mean, almost for sure right? Could open bigger than TSS, definitely far better legs?

14 minutes ago, Ms Lady Hawk said:

Why? Space Jam 2 was PG rated and had a marquee personality in Lebron James. TSS had to overcome its R rating and it didn’t have a huge draw in terms of actors. I don’t think this result is good. It is disappointing, but the sky is not falling. It will do bang up business for HBOMAX and that seems to be the top priority for Warner - at least for the foreseeable future. 

Nobody forced them to drop Will Smith. Also, it seems to me that they overestimated Harley/Margot appeal. They built this movie's marketing around her and gave her Birds of Prey (which flopped) so from their POV there was a draw...it's just that GA didn't think so while  the character is popular with GA that couldn't get into R rated movies, such as teenage and tweenage girls. 

Edited by Valonqar

22 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

A little far fetched but JC-TSS fight next weekend will be interesting.

Granted JC make $15M this weekend and drop same as Christopher Robin in 3rd weekend i.e. 32%, it could be $10.2M. 

TSS, say $21M True FSS. May be 55% drop gives $9.5M. BW drop of 62% will mean $8M weekend. 

In case of latter, JC can afford 46% drop even.

And?

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think the bigger/biggest thing is The Suicide Squad is flat out confusing to anyone in the general audience.  Think of it from a normal perspective, you have a movie that is coming out with some of the same cast from a movie that came out to awful awful reviews only a few years ago.  Then there are a bunch of new cast members, but everything looks completely different and way goofier.  Where the hell did Will Smith go?  Why does the military guy (Joel Kinman) now wearing a t-shirt and has an odd haircut?

Obviously the actual movie is a billion times better, but the marketing for it was nearly impossible.  It isn't a movie that the general public is going to go out and buy a ticket for in any huge numbers.  Then throw in HBOMax and Delta and you have a $28m-$30m opening weekend.  

Still very funny to see the most successful DC films lately is  a film with the least budget and absolute no connection to the current DCEU. 

I mean, this is a pretty awful opening, and I think everybody knows that deep down, so trying to somehow spin it as anything but is pretty cringe.  

BUT — it was obvious for weeks that this was having an awful OW. I processed this like 7 days ago, so it’s not very raw. It beat my official meltdown bar, so my final comment is: hey, coulda been worse ;) 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

This is terrible, we just had a 35M OW from a movie that wasn't even hyped.

I know numbers are just ok for a few time now and Delta is a problem, but clearly there's room to opening way better than this.

While i understand all the things this movie have against it, it's still a DC movie, and a big one. I would be perfectly fine with 40M OW because i'm fair, but 25-27M to me is unnaceptable.

Warner needs to discover what exactly make this tepid results possible, because HBO Max hurtfull as it is for box office didn't stop movies like Space Jam to open with +30M very recently, even Mortal Kombat opened with basically the same of TSS but in a way worse environment.

And before some fanboy think i'm dumping it, i loved this movie, it's one of my favorites CBM movies on first view, but we can't blind ourselves just because we liked it.

They had Into the Heights earlier this summer which had really good reviews and good Cinemascore but….people just didn’t want to go see it. 

sometimes that unfortunately happens. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nerfy said:

Pro-trick. If you don't want your movie to be labelled a bomb, just don't release it in theaters at all. :redcapes:

You’re not wrong. Batgirl and Blue Beetle are free of box office pressure. 

It was yet another movie that nobody asked for. Why do people act surprised when these films open so poorly? There was no demand. the "surprise" is when these type of concepts over perform.