Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

The In the Heights of Superhero Movies comparison actually feels spot-on for these The Suicide Squad numbers: actual interest only went so far, excellent reviews be damned.

In normal times this probably sees only a $10M opening higher than Birds of Prey.

• Like 2

On a positive note, movie has btw en trending at No 1 on US twitter all day long. This is very huge. Tbf not much has happened since Friday but this means movie is being watched on HBO MAX a lot. I am waiting for Samba TV numbers. They will be huge. 

I honestly don't think Free Guy is gonna help much next week even with the surprisingly good reviews tbh. Shang-Chi is looking to be our next hope in terms of generating a huge amount of consumer interest in seeing movies on the big screen during an ongoing pandemic. Also don't think we'll be seeing much in terms of release date shifts either, simply because a number of these movies (No Time to Die and Top Gun: Maverick in particular) have been sitting on the shelf for so long with millions of dollars in marketing already pumped into them that they have nothing to gain from further delays beyond diminished interest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Last Man Standing said:

Why Dune fans, and not Bond fans, or Marvel fans, or Ryan Reynolds fans or whatever?

Presumably because Dune is the only one of these being given away for free starting Thursday night?

Just now, Last Man Standing said:

Why Dune fans, and not Bond fans, or Marvel fans, or Ryan Reynolds fans or whatever?

Marvel fans already got taste with Black Widow. We know Shang-Chi is not looking good right now. 

But to be fair, it's a new property with Asian lead. 

3 minutes ago, Nikostar said:

I hope Dune fanboys start to bring your expectations back to down to earth.

No, actually let me be bold.

Dune will open higher than TSS and i'm confident in it.

Both trailers have great views and it's PG13, i'm calling 32M OW and the record for WB opening post pandemic. 

I don’t really know what the supposed shitshow is supposed to be here. The reaction so far has been pretty subdued for an opening this bad, likely because we saw it coming from quite a ways away.    

Imagine what this place would look like if we’d thought on Wednesday that it could do 40-50 (as plenty of not as PS tuned in people did) and then got this  — regardless of the franchise.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Marvel fans already got taste with Black Widow. We know Shang-Chi is not looking good right now. 

But to be fair, it's a new property with Asian lead. 

I think Disney will take it on the chin on that one. Bummer but it’s not looking great…

6 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Yeah it's always Dune that's singled out for flopping even though trailer views are just as good as upcoming Marvel slate and fandom is much more passionate about it than Marvel fandom is about Shang-chi a movie everyone is trying really hard (I see and smell sweat!) to be excited about. Yet we don't expect Marvel opening (includes Ant Man number as the lowest for Marvel in years) because we are realistic but apparently we need to be even more realistic. :rolleyes: 

P.S. Not trying to start franchise wars. This is one and done post. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

Deadline Anthony is on DRUGS. COCAINE. CRACK. CRACK COCAINE!!!!!!!!

headlines about the Delta variant aren’t preventing people, particularly families, from going to the movies

We continue to live and manage life with the virus.

Blaming Suicide Squad‘s misfiring on the variant only creates a Chicken Little ‘The Sky is Falling’ mentality that will spur chaos, force studios to remove more product from the release schedule, and make exhibition a wasteland.

However, to blame the variant now squarely on a film that analysts knew had inherent problems going into the weekend is a false narrative.

Now he comes back and goes for gold with his Shang Chi and Free Guy takes

There are a few goal posts coming up. Disney has two pure theatrical windowed releases: 20th Century’s Ryan Reynolds’ Free Guy next weekend which is looking like $19M, and Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings over Labor Day. If Shang-Chi can beat the robust Labor Day 4-day of Guardians of the Galaxy ($22.9M 4th-weekend), I’d say business is pretty good. 

THIS MAN IS TELLING US IF A MARVEL MOVIE CAN OPEN TO ABOVE $22m THAN THE CINEMA IS SAFE?!?!?! THAT SEEMS LIKE A SENSIBLE NUMBER TO HIM.

IVE NEVER KNOWN SUCH INSANITY. HE’S LOST IT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 16
  • ...wtf 3

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

I don’t really know what the supposed shitshow is supposed to be here. The reaction so far has been pretty subdued for an opening this bad, likely because we saw it coming from quite a ways away.    

Imagine what this place would look like if we’d thought on Wednesday that it could do 40-50 (as plenty of not as PS tuned in people did) and then got this  — regardless of the franchise.

Plus we already had a classic meltdown on Black Widow thread. 

TSS has nothing on that. :stretcher:

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

No, actually let me be bold.

Dune will open higher than TSS and i'm confident in it.

Both trailers have great views and it's PG13, i'm calling 32M OW and the record for WB opening post pandemic. 

Which really isn't saying much. Dune doing 32m for opening is still a disaster 

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I think Free Guy will surprise many next weekend. 

Who knows? Maybe the demograph it appeals to might buy a ticket when they realise they can’t get it any other way! Lol 

I hope FG surprise so that we have another hit that evident the necessity of theatrical exclusive window.