Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

Just now, Lokis Legion said:

I don’t really know what the supposed shitshow is supposed to be here. The reaction so far has been pretty subdued for an opening this bad, likely because we saw it coming from quite a ways away.    

Imagine what this place would look like if we’d thought on Wednesday that it could do 40-50 (as plenty of not as PS tuned in people did) and then got this  — regardless of the franchise.

Right? I already saw like 3 people recently complaining about shitshow and being terrible to read this thread but literally nothing happened.

Everyone has been pretty realistic about this opening, BW opened with 80M and the thread was WAY worse than this one lol

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

I don’t really know what the supposed shitshow is supposed to be here. The reaction so far has been pretty subdued for an opening this bad, likely because we saw it coming from quite a ways away.    

Imagine what this place would look like if we’d thought on Wednesday that it could do 40-50 (as plenty of not as PS tuned in people did) and then got this  — regardless of the franchise.

Oh it’s nothing compared to the OW of say BVS or JL on these boards. 

what I said in CBO thread today can be post again:

4 hours ago, Gavin Feng said:

the key of box office recovery is whether any good movie could bring audience back to theaters. Safety has never been a problem in the past year, but the interest of theater experience is decreasing due to the soaring costs:

a) Blockbusters are too bad to bring people back to cinema. Audience always want to see blockbusters, but studios keep giving them bad work like Detective Chinatown 3, F9. Even Marvel missed the mark with Black Widow and gained very mixed WOM after piracy came out. Theater experience just become less and less attractive in recent time.

b) Ticket price is higher this year. Since audience are not allowed to take masks off in theater, snacks couldn't be sold well. Theater owners could do nothing but raising ticket price for avoiding big loss. Who want to see worse movie with higher price, especially considering Disney & Warner are showing their pic to local audience for free? 

c) Young People have more entertainment options. Short video like Tik Tok can feed their time more easily and quickly. Online movies and TV series from Netflix and other streaming companies are not that bad compared to those in theater at this point. There are countless reasons for people to stay at home. And only one can bring them back to theaters: Good movie.

I couldn't see the potential of making audience think theater experience is very special from any of upcoming titles, and that sense is very important at this point. The solution of saving cinema or theme park or stadium is more than just killing delta virus.

bad movie is too bad to go cinema. good one is not good enough to go cinema. TSS is good, but audience don't think it's something they have to see in big screen like usual. I believe in the post-pandemic era(at least in near future), only those that make people believe they wanna see nowhere but in theater can make huge money from theatrical business.

14 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I think Free Guy will surprise many next weekend. 

Who knows? Maybe the demograph it appeals to might buy a ticket when they realise they can’t get it any other way! Lol 

It would be great if it could surprise everyone, especially when next weekend is looking to be bleak overall (Suicide Squad will naturally drop big, Respect will likely be the latest adult-targeted title to face pandemic-related challenges, and Don't Breathe 2 will be lucky if it makes in total what the first did in its opening weekend), but anything in the same area as the first Hitman's Bodyguard ($21M opening) would be a win in the current environment.

Edited by filmlover

Feel sorry for a movie like Dune. They will continue to make comic book movies even if a current iteration of one flops but if a movie like Dune flops it might be twenty or thirty years before another Dune movie is made (if it ever is). 

In anycase they have to figure something out because there simply isn't a market for these overly expensive movies currently. The argument that it is completely becaue of piracy is flawed because there is no proof at all that people who are pirating it would be going to the theater anyway (infact a lot of them probably wouldn't and they would simply just wait until it did come out on home release to pirate it).

There is really nothing they can do about the current batch of expensive movies as they have been delaying them long enough already. However for the next several years they probably need to consider turning their expensive projects into tv shows and release things in theaters that the market can support.

• Sad 1

42 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think the bigger/biggest thing is The Suicide Squad is flat out confusing to anyone in the general audience.  Think of it from a normal perspective, you have a movie that is coming out with some of the same cast from a movie that came out to awful awful reviews only a few years ago.  Then there are a bunch of new cast members, but everything looks completely different and way goofier.  Where the hell did Will Smith go?  Why does the military guy (Joel Kinman) now wearing a t-shirt and has an odd haircut?

Obviously the actual movie is a billion times better, but the marketing for it was nearly impossible.  It isn't a movie that the general public is going to go out and buy a ticket for in any huge numbers.  Then throw in HBOMax and Delta and you have a $28m-$30m opening weekend.  

Bingo. I maintain I have not met a regular person in real-life talking about this movie, man. And I know people sharing the trailer for stuff like King Richard and House of Gucci. It just wasn't something audiences ever wanted.

The marketing for this always felt underwhelming and combined with HBOmax, i never saw a huge opening for this. It just didnt have the hype of the first movie. Plus all of the factors that people have mentioned before (no joker, no batman, no will smith)  Shang Chi will open higher because it's marvel but i think 50m OW right now because of the delta surge affecting things. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 2

I gotta say, Shang Chi is another one that might get blamed on Delta but I think has some other fundamental issues, namely this - I got the trailer at the last two movies I was at, and the people I was with had no idea it was an MCU movie (or even a superhero movie instead of a fantasy action movie, really). I'd be predicting it fall between the two Ant-Mans if this was normal times.

2 minutes ago, RRA said:

And 2020 up to now, I fear folks have become even more conditioned or ok with staying home to watch something. Before the plague, we were worried about getting people to go to theaters unless it’s an “event” movie and now that might not even be enough in the long term.

Exactly, this is about the worst time and circumstances for this to happen too as "the events" seem to be drying up. 

Even the MCU is teaching its audience to stay home to watch.  I guess Loki show had some MCU changing twist.  And at the theaters we get 3 movies, 1 is of a character who is dead and 2 more with characters even big comic readers never heard of.  And no they don't compare to GotG that had an all time great trailer and marketing.

17 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

It’s better now, but this thread seemed to go off the rails for a bit, what with the political talk and whatnot. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Dune fanboys are honestly rock bottom in their expectations

Yea i dont see fanboys with big expectations. Nobody has big expectations for that film, and more people predicting it to flop than not. Although the 'flop' definition as changed this year with the circumstances.  Opening with 30m+ would be a win for Dune. 

Edited by babz06
  • Like 1

My only real concern is this causes the industry to needless panic which causes the conglomerates to send everything to streaming or try to rearrange the schedule. That’s the last thing we need. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I see Shang-Chi doing around 40m right now. And that's optimistic on my side. 

Yeap.  Outside of MCU what does this movie have going for it? I don't think Disney themselves have much hope for this either given that they gave it the worst release date possible.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gavin Feng said:

what I said in CBO thread today can be post again:

bad movie is too bad to go cinema. good one is not good enough to go cinema. TSS is good, but audience don't think it's something they have to see in big screen like usual. I believe in the post-pandemic era(at least in near future), only those that make people believe they wanna see nowhere but in theater can make huge money from theatrical business.

Great blockbusters? You ask too much from today's Hollywood) I rewatched Indiana Jones trilogy recently and randomly watched John Carpenter's Starman for the first time and I'm honestly shocked how much average quality has dropped since good old days.

Edited by Firepower

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

My only real concern is this causes the industry to needless panic which causes the conglomerates to send everything to streaming or try to rearrange the schedule. That’s the last thing we need. 

WB (or more specifically, AT&T) already sent everything to streaming last year, and Disney has already done that with all their movies that have been released in 2021 so far. It wouldn’t make much of a difference at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Cap said:

Other than Clifford the Big Red Dog, nothing seems to have blinked because of the delta variant yet. I guess we'll see if this weekend has any effect. 

• Like 1