Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

2 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Shang-Chi and Venom need to move now. Hell, even Free Guy should move. That shit is opening with 15M at this point.

“‘Free Guy’ Flies Off and Soars With $15M Opening. Best Opening For an Original PG-13 IP In A Pandemic” - Variety

• Haha 7
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

70M+ for Shang Chi. Preferably over BW.

No way imo. Will be lucky to hit half that. And this isn't me saying that delta is going to kill it. I just don't sense any hype for this movie whatsoever. 

• Like 2

Y’all reacting like you and everyone else can’t watch this movie for free right now. 

Theaters have even more ammo to point at streaming keeping people from spending money.  At the end of the day that’s all studios want. Money. Right now they’re committing to loss leading to get a foot in the streaming wars. Long term it’s unsustainable as their only source of income. 

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Between 25M for TSS, 19M for Free Guy and 23M for Shang-Chi theaters are beyond dead.

your schtick must be from a mysterious beach from an M Night Shaymalan film because it got old REAL fast

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

Just now, DAJK said:

No way imo. Will be lucky to hit half that. And this isn't me saying that delta is going to kill it. I just don't sense any hype for this movie whatsoever. 

Sure it can open below $70M but there's no reason to hold back now. Let's see how pre-sales start on Monday. Till then $70M is what I am thinking.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

Y’all reacting like you and everyone else can’t watch this movie for free right now. 

Theaters have even more ammo to point at streaming keeping people from spending money.  At the end of the day that’s all studios want. Money. Right now they’re committing to loss leading to get a foot in the streaming wars. Long term it’s unsustainable as their only source of income. 

I think the streaming thing is a bigger deal than people think. At my theater, Suicide Squad is doing around half of Black Widow's business. Pre-sales were awful but walk-ups have been pretty good. Going to come close to our equivalent of 40M weekend.

Now, 40 still wouldn't be great. But this is Canada, where there is no HBO Max... aka the movie isn't available for free legally. But I think streaming really cut into the box office here. Without the dual release, I genuinely think Canadian theaters might have been a bit more indicative in this case.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are people actually taking Deadline's 23 million "prediction" for Shang-Chi seriously? Come on...yeah this has low hype for a Marvel film but the teaser did 800k likes on YouTube and even the promo material TV spots have been doing quite well (one of the TV spots did over 150k likes on its own). Probably won't reach beyond the MCU core fanbase but that fanbase is quite big at this point. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 5