Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

38 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Can someone explain the purpose of a vaccine pass for movie theaters when vaccinated people can carry and spread covid?

It’s like Cops giving out Tickets to people not wearing seatbelts. Sure you can still get into a car accident and kill another person even with a seatbelt, but you at least have a higher chance of surviving the accident than someone without one. :pounce:

• Like 1

Anyways, let's see what happens when Delta follows the same pattern it did in India and the UK and other places and cases are going straight down about a month from now.  

By the time we hit Venom it will look completely different than it does now and people will be jerking themselves off to the numbers in late Sept/Oct/Nov.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Even in UK, the dip in cases that people have been touting, stop dropping in recent days. 

Unvaccinated people are 3x more likely to be infected and transmit the virus, not to mention they are far more likely to be hospitalized that put stress on healthcare system.   

of course it dropped however if you see in uk the deaths are very low , especially if you compare them to the time when uk had 25+ k a day 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Holy shit this thread week after week is the most annoying overreacting bullshit.  

Every fucking week as soon as the numbers roll in there are 4 pages of "EVERYTHING IS MOVING!!  THEATERS ARE DEAD!!"

It's far more annoying than COVID at this point.  

Look for Free Guy to turn that around 👀

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Anyways, let's see what happens when Delta follows the same pattern it did in India and the UK and other places and cases are going straight down about a month from now.  

By the time we hit Venom it will look completely different than it does now and people will be jerking themselves off to the numbers in late Sept/Oct/Nov.  

I certainly need a solid box office number to jerk off too. I haven't done it since AQP2. There was a slight hard on with BW OD but it came down fast (like the movie's box office run).

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, john2000 said:

of course it dropped however if you see in uk the deaths are very low , especially if you compare them to the time when uk had 25+ k a day 

To remind you , there was a day UK recorded zero death from Covid like any day in 2019. While that was a unrealistic goal to sustain, the thing aren't going anywhere.   

Just now, CJohn said:

I certainly need a solid box office number to jerk off too. I haven't done it since AQP2. There was a slight hard on with BW OD but it came down fast (like the movie's box office run).

This is actually a pretty decent point, because other than AQP2 and BW, what have been the movies that are remotely compelling to the general public?  

The best there has been since theaters came back in strength in late May has been the poorly reviewed 9th sequel to a tired franchise missing its biggest star and a 2 year delayed moderately reviewed Disney ride movie.  

Old has done pretty well.  Most everything else had little appeal, and that includes the general public confusing The Suicide Squad that most people have zero clue what it is or why it exists.  

Again, get back to me when actual compelling general audience content starts bombing.  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Anyone else think it's possible that this opening nearly identical to Birds of Prey (despite a day-and-date launch) may mean there's just not a ton of interest in this specific corner of DC movies at this moment? And that like with Birds of Prey, they just never really came up with a marketing hook that made the movie seem new and compelling to audiences? *Everyone* I've spoken to has no idea if this is a reboot or a sequel or a whatever to a movie they didn't like in the first place.

They overestimated the appeal of the Harley character. 

The character was never more than an recurring guest star before the New 52 reboot and the Arkham City game in 2011.
Even after this upgrade they’ve struggled with the character. New 52 was blasted as too over-sexualised and design cues from that version went on to become the most recognisable iteration of the character. This, along with the very realistic images and domestic violence instances associated with the character has, in my opinion, stunted the overall appeal of the character. Is this a character that teenage girls are interested in? Is this a character that parents would be happy seeing their kids get into?

It was a cool Halloween costume in 2016 but I think that’s as far as it gets.

4 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

To remind you , there was a day UK recorded zero death from Covid like any day in 2019. While that was a unrealistic goal to sustain, the thing aren't going anywhere.   

idk what are you trying to say my point was that if you compe the uk deaths now with the deaths that were happening on winter and with cases being almost identical, you will see that now we have far less deaths...... and thats VERY IMPORTANT expection 0 deaths or 20-30 deaths per day is totally unrealistic......

ps ( if i misunderstood your comment i apologize and plz clarify it if thats the case..._)

Edited by john2000

5 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

This is actually a pretty decent point, because other than AQP2 and BW, what have been the movies that are remotely compelling to the general public?  

The best there has been since theaters came back in strength in late May has been the poorly reviewed 9th sequel to a tired franchise missing its biggest star and a 2 year delayed moderately reviewed Disney ride movie.  

Old has done pretty well.  Most everything else had little appeal, and that includes the general public confusing The Suicide Squad that most people have zero clue what it is or why it exists.  

Again, get back to me when actual compelling general audience content starts bombing.  

fast 9 also did well, and gvk cruella and jungle cruise also did very decent imo ...

19 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I don't think AQP2 or F50 did all that much less than they would have done normally, especially with streaming in the equation now. 

Venom and Bond are the next big tests. Lets' hope things are better. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

I don't think AQP2 or F50 did all that much less than they would have done normally, especially with streaming in the equation now. 

Venom and Bond are the next big tests. Lets' hope things are better. 

Agreed, those are the true tests of theaters.  Everything so far hasn't been much of a test considering the factors, and as others have pointed out multiple movies have done pretty damn well.  

12 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

What in the world am I copping out of?

Shifting so much of the blame away from the current landscape we're in causing movies to under-perform

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shifting so much of the blame away from the current landscape we're in causing movies to under-perform

I mean the change from last week isn't significant enough to be enough to tell why TSS is opening below JC which was going to be a rather low opener no matter what. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm also going to repeat myself again since everyone in this thread repeats themselves over and over, but do the actual logistical process that studio executives need to go through to convince their bosses to move these films....

It costs millions of dollars to keep a large film on the self and delay the marketing plan and move it to another date at this point in the process.  

The VP's and accountants would need to convince the top level execs that whatever date they move to is going to be much better and make a significant amount more than it will now to justify all the costs of delay.  

This was easy in 2020 because theaters were closed in many places by government orders and the plan was to move to 2021 and hope that a vaccine would put an end to the pandemic.  

That didn't work out for many reasons.  Now in August 2021, where do you tell your studio execs and shareholders that you can and should move your movie to and what guarantee can you give them that COVID won't be a problem?  Does moving No Time To Die yet again to next April solve anything?

Hell no, so as long as theaters are open and operating, release the movies and hope you break even or have a small enough write off and prepare your future slate accordingly.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2