Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

7 minutes ago, TMP said:

Shifting so much of the blame away from the current landscape we're in causing movies to under-perform

I didn't do that.  Of course it is to blame.  

What I am saying is that it isn't the doom and gloom ridiculous scenario way too many are making it out to be.  

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Obviously it takes awhile to steer a new course, but it would behoove studios to make a few more 20-60m movies that don’t require massive 500m+ worldwide grosses to recoup their costs. 

Blasphemy

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

There’s a lot more uncertainty for the remainder of this year than I’m comfortable with. 

Again, I think this is the issue.  It's August and every other Delta scenario shows that by mid-September and October it has a very good chance to look a lot better.  It just doesn't feel that way to Americans right now because we are in the middle of what India was a few months ago and the UK a month or so ago.  

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I'm also going to repeat myself again since everyone in this thread repeats themselves over and over, but do the actual logistical process that studio executives need to go through to convince their bosses to move these films....

It costs millions of dollars to keep a large film on the self and delay the marketing plan and move it to another date at this point in the process.  

The VP's and accountants would need to convince the top level execs that whatever date they move to is going to be much better and make a significant amount more than it will now to justify all the costs of delay.  

This was easy in 2020 because theaters were closed in many places by government orders and the plan was to move to 2021 and hope that a vaccine would put an end to the pandemic.  

That didn't work out for many reasons.  Now in August 2021, where do you tell your studio execs and shareholders that you can and should move your movie to and what guarantee can you give them that COVID won't be a problem?  Does moving No Time To Die yet again to next April solve anything?

Hell no, so as long as theaters are open and operating, release the movies and hope you break even or have a small enough write off and prepare your future slate accordingly.  

Sounds fine by me. As long as there isn’t another lockdown, studios should just remain on course and hope for the best. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Sounds fine by me. As long as there isn’t another lockdown, studios should just remain on course and hope for the best. 

“I don’t think we’re going to see lockdowns,” Fauci, who is also director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, said on ABC’s “This Week.”

I think we have enough of the percentage of people in the country – not enough to crush the outbreak – but I believe enough to not allow us to get into the situation we were in last winter.

The other thing it seems almost nobody is considering when doing the "everything is going to move!!!!" thing is even if theater releases aren't putting up nearly the gross, it is still a lot more than they would be doing via streaming.  

Sure, maybe a few of these movies would sell to Amazon or Netflix or Apple for $500m or some ridiculous number, but that is very limited.  Releasing straight on their own streaming does nothing and really shits the money bed.  

Theaters still provide by far the best option to recoup $$ for their product that has been sitting around and already a sunk cost.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can tell you what I would do if I was a studio head, and that is really look at my marketing costs.  If there is anywhere to cut back, that is going to be the area.  Get a lot more inventive on your marketing and don't dump the ridiculous money into traditional advertising that they usually do.  Those costs at least aren't sunk and if you need to save, that is the place to do it.  

• Like 4

While I think No Time To Die and Dune are staying put on their dates, I think Sony will move their stuff. I also thing while Shang-Chi might not move, it will be available on Disney+ Premier Access at the same time if tracking continues to be this bad in the next ~2 weeks.

Edited by CJohn

44 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Obviously it takes awhile to steer a new course, but it would behoove studios to make a few more 20-60m movies that don’t require massive 500m+ worldwide grosses to recoup their costs. 

Too logical. Get out, Grandpa. 

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I can tell you what I would do if I was a studio head, and that is really look at my marketing costs.  If there is anywhere to cut back, that is going to be the area.  Get a lot more inventive on your marketing and don't dump the ridiculous money into traditional advertising that they usually do.  Those costs at least aren't sunk and if you need to save, that is the place to do it.  

I actually think this is An interesting point for discussion. Because as someone that basically exclusively watches ad free streaming services, or TCM, I don’t remember the last time that I have watched a commercial. I think maybe I suffered through it for Leverage: Redemption but that’s it. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, if that succeeds, maybe it'll turn around to "maybe theaters aren't worth saving".

I have no idea what your grudge with this movie is but it’s becoming rather delightful.

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

They need to get more inventive.

Bring back heavy handed product placement for movies:

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 2

3 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

70M+ for Shang Chi. Preferably over BW.

I’m skipping Shang Chi but just because it doesn’t look interesting to me. 

I am, however, still going to the cinema at least once a week :) went to see Zola last night, but it wasn’t great. 

At least The Suicide Squad is performing strongly here. I think it will be the 2nd biggest pandemic OW, just behind F9. I do admit that is in part because Daniela Melchior is one of the lead roles.

4 minutes ago, CJohn said:

At least The Suicide Squad is performing strongly here. I think it will be the 2nd biggest pandemic OW, just behind F9. I do admit that is in part because Daniela Melchior is one of the lead roles.

She's a hottie. Wonder if she is into investment bankers?

Need to make my way to Lisbon when all this covid crap is behind us. 

• Haha 2