Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

1 minute ago, poncho said:

and it's still a +18 rated movie 

Gunn’s critically acclaimed movie opens amid consumer concern over the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and delta variant, which has stalled the box office recovery.

‘Suicide Squad’ Box Office: Movie Earns $4.1M in Thursday Previews – The Hollywood Reporter

mortal kombat opened to 24 million with way worse conditions than ss , and also being r rated

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had to laugh at how hard some of these articles are overselling the biggest R-rating opening thing, like EW saying

"'The Suicide Squad' shatters pandemic box office record" or Deadline's "Biggest For R-Rated Film During Pandemic"

"the biggest number for a R-rated movie during the Covid era"!!!!!

"There haven’t been many R-rated movies during the pandemic;"

I mean, good for WB...but let's have some perspective, no?

20 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm definitely sensing another global meltdown like what happened back in March of last year. The inexpensive and low-stakes films will likely stay where they are since their budgets are low enough that they won't be affected too much. The blockbusters on the other hand? Everyone except WB is vacating this year, methinks. Maybe Venom 2 goes to December, still coming out this year. It should appetize Spider-Man fans for now, since it's clear we won't be seeing or hearing anything from No Way Home anytime soon.

The situation now is nothing like it was last march, theaters are fully open and there are vaccines available, there's 0 reason to expect the same thing all over again.

Some bigger movies can move for a few weeks waiting for the new wave slow down, that's it. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, john2000 said:

mortal kombat opened to 24 million with way worse conditions than ss , and also being r rated

Legs were appalling though so hopefully this isn’t as frontloaded as that. 

I’m hoping it’s also not as frontloaded as Black Widow’s opening weekend either. 

• Like 1

Just now, Krissykins said:

Legs were appalling though so hopefully this isn’t as frontloaded as that. 

I’m hoping it’s also not as frontloaded as Black Widow’s opening weekend either. 

i dont think that it will that frontloaded.........

Is this the first weekend thread for most of you? Studios constantly put out headlines/press releases to spin stuff so it looks more favourable? What else do you want them to do? Say the numbers suck and we lost 10s of millions? Lol 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

i still cant wrap my head around why would you if you were a studio give a budget of 185 mill for  a movie thats 1)r rated,2)has unknow characters,3) the first one was terrible , and on top of that you have it on hbo max........ its beyond stupid even in pre covid times a 185 mill budget for this ? why ?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm definitely sensing another global meltdown like what happened back in March of last year. The inexpensive and low-stakes films will likely stay where they are since their budgets are low enough that they won't be affected too much. The blockbusters on the other hand? Everyone except WB is vacating this year, methinks. Maybe Venom 2 goes to December, still coming out this year. It should appetize Spider-Man fans for now, since it's clear we won't be seeing or hearing anything from No Way Home anytime soon.

The big difference here is that no theaters are closing down as of yet. NY and LA especially remain open, and the new vaccine mandates are to ensure they stay that way. The issue at the moment is that consumer confidence is collapsing, but that can change if increased vaccination keeps Delta at bay past the initial wave.

2 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Is this the first weekend thread for most of you? Studios constantly put out headlines/press releases to spin stuff so it looks more favourable? What else do you want them to do? Say the numbers suck and we lost 10s of millions? Lol 

i owe you one reaction.......

1 minute ago, cookie said:

The big difference here is that no theaters are closing down as of yet. NY and LA especially remain open, and the new vaccine mandates are to ensure they stay that way. The issue at the moment is that consumer confidence is collapsing, but that can change if increased vaccination keeps Delta at bay past the initial wave.

collapsing is a strong word, just decreasing is still at 70% being way higher than last year and on par with memorial weekend polls which gave a quite place a 47 mill 3day debut.......... and also i dont really trust polls in general.....

Edited by john2000

3 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i still cant wrap my head around why would you if you were a studio give a budget of 185 mill for  a movie thats 1)r rated,2)has unknow characters,3) the first one was terrible , and on top of that you have it on hbo max........ its beyond stupid even in pre covid times a 185 mill budget for this ? why ?

Gunn probably wouldn't accept anything other than this being his biggest budgeted film yet

3 minutes ago, cax16 said:

We know, but the way that Deadline and Variety are eating this up is crazy.

No snarky "how much could it have made without streaming?" from Deadline Anthony even though he does it for the two Disney films in his 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

• Like 2

WB wanted to work with Gunn, they’re obvious happy about the movie with respects to critical reception, they were pleased enough to give him a spin-off for Max and are already working on other projects with him. The weekend number isn’t going to be good, what do you think they’re going to do? Of course they’ll try and spin it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AJG said:

From Variety

Who is writing these articles? 

clearly a individual like myself that, a, has a flare for the dramatic, and b, is so fucking tired, man. So tired. 

1 hour ago, charlie Jatinder said:

And here I am wishing Intermission need tp be cancelled in India

I saw my fair lady before Covid, and they did a five minute intermission. And it was perfect. It was just enough time to run to the bathroom and then come back.

40 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

It's also about how the factors play together. The rise of Delta creates a presumed incentive for the choice to use HBO Max for no additional charge, compared to the sizable extra fee for D+ premium access.

The factors don't exist in a vacuum.

Yes! This! And I think that once the fanboy weekend rush ebbs, there’s going to be a couple factors working against this film From a box office point of view:

1. The film is rated R. And it’s clearly targeted to teenage boys. If Delta Variant is worrying parents, that probably means they’re not taking their kids to see this movie. Luckily though, the kids can watch it on HBO Max!

2. I still maintain that this movie is incredibly male and did not see much crossover appeal for femmes. Who tend to come out more after opening weekend, since they’re less concerned about spoilers, and more Concerned about when we can all get together to see it. Or, again, I can just fast forward through things if I watch it on HBO Max.

• Like 1

Just now, AJG said:

We know, but the way that Deadline and Variety are eating this up is crazy.

No snarky "how much could it have made without streaming?" from Deadline Anthony even though he does it for the two Disney films in his 2nd and 3rd paragraphs.

WB sent the cheque Today, Disney was too busy fighting with SJ last few weeks so they missed theirs. 

• Haha 1