Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

To everyone suggesting that Dune should move, not happening since it will premiere in Venice out of competition and have a special IMAX premiere in Toronto. WB wants to build the momentum with festivals and the movie would lose it if it moved to December (against NWH????) or 2022. It's staying where it is and Oct 22 is a decent date all things considered. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Product placement will always aspire to Pepsi in World War Z

Honestly I don’t think Hollywood will ever top digitally adding and swapping through product placement into How I met Your Mother Re-Runs.

HowIMetYourMother.jpg

5wV1J-550x412.jpg
naoxeh-550x768.jpg?w=584
impossible-software.jpeg

Edited by AJG
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 6
  • ...wtf 5

4 minutes ago, AJG said:

Honestly I don’t think Hollywood will ever top digitally adding and swapping through product placement into How I met Your Mother Re-Runs.

HowIMetYourMother.jpg

5wV1J-550x412.jpg
naoxeh-550x768.jpg?w=584

THIS CANNOT BE REAL

THERE'S NO WAY THAT IS REAL

WHAT POSSESSED KEVIN JAMES TO DO THIS

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

they are in debt and kept afloat by wallstreet?

Like amazon in the recent past that less and less the case, should be positive cash flow by 2022:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/19/netflix-says-cash-flow-positive-after-2021-no-more-external-financing.html

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

Okay another question.

How does Netflix thrive with moderately big budgeted movies without theaters or DVDs?

A large part of Netflix is not movies but TV:

Original most watched in 2020, in minutes:

"Ozark" — 30.5 billion

"Lucifer" — 18.97 billion

"The Crown" — 16.27 billion

"Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness" — 15.6 billion 

"The Mandalorian" — 14.5 billion (Disney Plus)

"The Umbrella Academy" — 13.47 billion

"Great British Baking Show" — 13.28 billion 

"Boss Baby: Back in Business" — 12.6 billion 

"Longmire" — 11.38 billion

"You" — 10.96 billion

Not original:

"The Office" — 57.1 billion 

"Grey's Anatomy" — 39.4 billion

"Criminal Minds" — 35.4 billion

"NCIS" — 28.1 billion

"Schitt's Creek" — 23.78 billion

"Supernatural" — 20.3 billion

"Shameless" — 18.2 billion

"New Girl" — 14.5 billion

"The Blacklist" — 14.48 billion

"The Vampire Diaries" — 14.09 billion

And already fully monetized in the past content is still most of their content being watched, it is still unproven if it would work if they had to make all of the content from scratch or if the big movies make sense on their model.

Having over 200m subscriber help a lot has well, there is a limited of paying platform that will be able to reach such figure and it needed a decade of debt, a mature studio will not necessarily want such road.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, CeltsGargle said:

I thought the first Venom was pretty boring and rushed apart from the scenes with Venom. After rewatching it...I felt the same. I don't know if Venom 2 will be bad or good but i doubt it will put me to sleep.

i hated it. A complete mess and very incoherent. The good stuff was almost unintentionally funny. But I know many lapped it up, so what do I know? 

I’m sure they’ve doubled down on the stuff that unintentionally worked first time out. I just hope they’ve managed to put together something solid this time out. 

Regardless, I think general audiences will come out in big numbers 

1 hour ago, Newbie said:

And because they are a publicly traded company, stocks really help keep new businesses or businesses which are changing flush in cash, as stock buyers aren't judging you from the perspective of today or yesterday but how they see the future of the industry.

Its how Amazon serviced for years when they were losing money hand over fist.  Or how Tesla's stock is over the moon, its because its were investors see the market going longterm.

I'm curious as to how the economics work here.

As I understand it, a company does not directly benefit from increases to it its stock price. The number of shares in a company multiplied by the stock price reflects the market cap of the company, which is an important component of a firm's enterprise value (combined with debt less cash). Put simply, though the fundamental value of a firm is increasing as the share price rises, this alone doesn't generate cash for the firm.

Companies only directly profit from their share price when they issue equity (whether it's through an IPO, to a private investor, or in a subsequent public offering down the road). For example, for Netflix to raise funds in order to benefit from a higher stock price, they'd have to issue new equity in the form of additional shares. It's worth mentioning that this would dilute the total stock float (same inherent value stretched over more shares) and result in a drop in price to compensate.

Unless you just mean indirect benefits... e.g. access to cheaper debt, secondary offerings, executive compensation (stock options, etc.), more chips at the table when it comes to M&A positioning, greater interest from big fish investors. Or just as a general positive signal of the company's financial performance/prospects.

Tl;dr - a healthy stock price may help Netflix secure cheap financing or a fantastic partnership, but it doesn't directly put more money in their pockets in and of itself (at least this is how I've always conceptualized it). 

Edited by daftcat
clarity
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

everyone should do this now that they've got their own streaming service. Like you watch mary poppins on Disney+ and there are Free Guy posters all over london.

So Space Jam 2 essentially

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

So Space Jam 2 essentially

I'm assuming he means it changes every week or something. It'll be Free Guy first and then Disney changes it to Shang-Chi after. Probably even sneak in posters for stuff like that new Adrian Lynne movie.

Edited by lorddemaxus

7 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

Thing that people here don't seem to understand is that streaming is not remotely profitable for studios, so either they will be losing major money or cutting budgets of major blockbusters by like 2/3rds. Theaters aren't dying anytime soon.

I love theatrical and want the 45 day window to succeed (hope everyone like me will go see Free Guy or Shang-Chi or Top Gun or Bond etc. to show the studios it is viable) but there is no need to straight up lie to fit your narrative. 

Here is Disney's studio breakdown from the most recent quarter (there is another one next week but I'm taking about the one from 3 months ago) where they only had $109m of theatrical revenue yet had operating income of $312m, largely off the back of SVOD.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-11-11-56-AM.pn

Historically I did a revenue breakdown of Disney studios a few weeks ago, I've added operating income. Will put this in a quote as it is long but as you can see studio revenue and operating profit boomed in 2016 due to both a theatrical slate and a big pay 1 deal with Netflix (source:https://money.cnn.com/2012/12/04/technology/netflix-disney/index.html) and 2020 stayed pretty flat due to Disney+ even with a pandemic, something impressive to note is that Disney SVOD, TV and Other revenue in 2020 was bigger than 2012 revenue for the studio as a whole (the year Disney released The Avengers) 

2010 Studio Revenue - $6.70B

• Theatrical - $2.05B
  • Home Entertainment - $2.67B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $1.96B

2010 Operating Income - $693m

2011 Studio Revenue - $6.35B

• Theatrical - $1.73B
  • Home Entertainment- $2.44B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $2.18B

2011 Operating Income - $618m

2012 Studio Revenue - $5.83B

• Theatrical - $1.47B
  • Home Entertainment - $2.22B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $2.13B

2012 Operating Income - $722m

2013 Studio Revenue - $5.98B

• Theatrical - $1.87B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.75B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $2.36B

2013 Operating Income - $661m

2014 Studio Revenue - $7.28B

• Theatrical - $2.43B
  • Home Entertainment - $2.09B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $2.75B

2014 Operating Income - $1.54B

2015 Studio Revenue - $7.37B

• Theatrical - $2.32B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.8B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $3.25B

2015 Operating Income - $1.97B

2016 Studio Revenue - $9.44B

• Theatrical - $3.67B
  • Home Entertainment - $2.10B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $3.66B

2016 Operating Income - $2.70B

2017 Studio Revenue - $8.38B

• Theatrical - $2.9B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.8B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $3.68B

2017 Operating income - $2.35B

2018 Studio Revenue - $10.07B

• Theatrical - $4.3B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.65B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $4.12B

2018 Operating income - $3.00B

2019 Studio Revenue - $11.13B

• Theatrical - $4.73B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.73B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $4.67B

2019 Operating income - $2.68B

2020 Studio Revenue - $9.64B

• Theatrical - $2.13B
  • Home Entertainment - $1.53B
  • SVOD, TV and Other - $5.97B

2020 Operating income - $2.50B

The other major streaming studio Warner is a bit harder to get a sense of as they include TV, Gaming and Studio in one but HBO Max hasn't hurt them (or helped them) so far as both Revenues and Expenses (marketing, film/tv costs) have gone up in tandem, but you can see they still stayed relatively the same even with HBO Max day and date.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-10-59-07-AM.pn

I do think the best way for Studios to make a bunch of money is with both theatrical and SVOD firing in unison but to say they are not profitable with streaming is a misconception. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Got out of Suicide squad about an hour ago. It was pretty enjoyable but nothing about it blew me away.

I just got out of a showing as well and this was my exact sentiment. It was enjoyable but I was like this is what the critics were going gaga over.

Must be f*cking grading on a curve due to the first one being such a piece of shit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gopher said:

Anyone else think it's possible that this opening nearly identical to Birds of Prey (despite a day-and-date launch) may mean there's just not a ton of interest in this specific corner of DC movies at this moment? And that like with Birds of Prey, they just never really came up with a marketing hook that made the movie seem new and compelling to audiences? *Everyone* I've spoken to has no idea if this is a reboot or a sequel or a whatever to a movie they didn't like in the first place.

I'll be seeing this Tuesday, I follow DC comics, and I STILL don't know if it's a soft reboot or sequel:)...I'd probably have to read the main thread or the other 27 pages of the weekend thread, but I'm back and going from west coast to east coast time, so instead, I'll stay in wonderment and find out for my $2 ticket on Tuesday...

PS - Under $30M - damn, I haven't been on the boards, but tracking board has been right from the get go...this literally never got traction from the word go, so it can't all be a "new Delta" thing b/c presales started weeks ago...

11 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This happened with “It’s a Wonderful Life”, it was a BO dud that only got popular due to TV repeats decades later.

Also the majority of people under 35 that have seen the Star Wars Original Trilogy have never seen them on the big screen (and have never seen the original versions).

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1