Jump to content
Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

 

He didn't lie.

 

I always find funny when someone say streaming is killing the movies because "no one talk about they after released" when literally every classic movie resist to time because of home video and TV.

 

A good and well liked movie find it's audience, Luca came out almost 2 months ago and it's still holding on impressively on Nielsen charts. It actually hold way better than Soul and WW84 which are the biggest streaming movies on their openings.

 

There's an example of that even on DC, BOP is a failure on theaters but it seems like it's being consistenly revisited and having good numbers on streaming. Like i said on this thread, the opening for TSS it's unnaceptable to me, but i also think this can easily become a big movie on streaming and age well with audiences.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, AJG said:

This happened with “It’s a Wonderful Life”, it was a BO dud that only got popular due to TV repeats decades later.

 

Not sure if true but apparently an employee messed up some form that made it free for TV station to play It's a wonderful life for a very long time, so everyone was playing it all the time and that helped to build an holiday tradition of watching it.

 

It’s a Wonderful Life entered the public domain by accident. In 1946, when the movie was filmed, U.S. copyright protection lasted 28 years and could be renewed for another 28 years by filing some paperwork and paying a nominal fee. However, Republic Pictures, the original copyright owner and producer of Wonderful Life, neglected to renew the 1946 copyright in 1974. So, the film entered the public domain. Though a box office flop on release, it became immensely popular on television thanks to repeated showings: Stations programmed it heavily during the holidays, paying no royalties to its producers, and more than 100 distributors sold the movie on tape.

 

Box office flop is a bit harsh, but the small loss was terrible on Kapra, is indie production house that tried to do thing independant style of the majors and a way to avoid the giant after war tax rates (that was made of 3 powerful director joined force and were supposed to make 9 movies) did not survive and he was apparently never the same after.

 

https://web.archive.org/web/20071114193833/http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,793760,00.html

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, wildphantom said:


i hated it. A complete mess and very incoherent. The good stuff was almost unintentionally funny. But I know many lapped it up, so what do I know? 
 

Oh yeh, I agree with you (and the critics), I thought Venom was embarrassing. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AJG said:


Honestly I don’t think Hollywood will ever top digitally adding and swapping through product placement into How I met Your Mother Re-Runs.

 

HowIMetYourMother.jpg

5wV1J-550x412.jpg
naoxeh-550x768.jpg?w=584
impossible-software.jpeg

 

Between this and your "GI Joe were Action Man in Europe" post your fun facts posts are at peak right now.

 

This is the most glorious nonsense I have ever seen. Look at Kevin James. Look at that digitally inserted Pizza Hut box. This is TV.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fmpro said:


Agree. TSS made me laugh a few times. But behind were a young female who laughed at everything. Seriously. Every minute something “funniest thing ever!l happend.  Kinda ruined it for me a bit. It was`ent THAT funny.

 

Venom was okay for me. Nothing more. But i must admit that V2 looks like a blast and i will be there OD

As somebody who wasn’t impressed Venom…that last V2 trailer was actually solid. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

To add a little to my post from before I think Paramount have the best strategy of the 45 day window for massive tentpoles and a bunch of mid budget movies for Paramount+, that said their streaming revenue is still only at about $1B a quarter and a decent chunk of that is advertising revenue from Pluto TV. 

 

I think that is the strategy that both Warner and Disney will have in 2022/2023 at the least, but if worst case happens and theatrical doesn't bounce back big budget projects will shift even more so to TV as it is better for a streamer to monetise a show over 6-10 weeks vs. 1 week for a movie (I'm sure there would be some $150-200m movies for streaming but they would be a rarity compared to shows of a similar budget)

Edited by Jamiem
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

He didn't lie.

 

I always find funny when someone say streaming is killing the movies because "no one talk about they after released" when literally every classic movie resist to time because of home video and TV.

 

A good and well liked movie find it's audience, Luca came out almost 2 months ago and it's still holding on impressively on Nielsen charts. It actually hold way better than Soul and WW84 which are the biggest streaming movies on their openings.

 

There's an example of that even on DC, BOP is a failure on theaters but it seems like it's being consistenly revisited and having good numbers on streaming. Like i said on this thread, the opening for TSS it's unnaceptable to me, but i also think this can easily become a big movie on streaming and age well with audiences.

 

I mean Moana has consistently trended on D plus since it started and that was a hit years ago ago but not a Frozen monster hit.

 

of course Netflix’s problem is they don’t sell their movies well and for every Army of the Dead where they actually put up promo, there’s dozens that you wouldn’t be aware of their existence unless you knew where to find them.*
 

*=Like the decent BLOOD RED SKY or “what if Germany made a DIE HARD on a plane movie but with vampires?”

Link to post
Share on other sites

Gunn isn't wrong on watching things on tv and them becoming popular similar to A Wonderful Life, but that has stayed in the cultural zeitgeist and has created endless revenue streams because they sell millions of dollars in ads over the years.  

 

Where is The Suicide Squad ever going to be seen beyond its theatrical run.  From everything I understand it might end up on HBO, but largely it will live forever on HBOMax where it is completely dependent on being seen by people subscribed to it, which in the overall scheme of things is a very small amount of people.  

 

A Wonderful Life has been seen by literally billions of people over the last 70 years because it ends up on network or cable tv.  

 

That might be the sad lesson of streaming overall.  Way too many movies are going to never find their true audience because they live behind a gated paywall.  

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Parsing DL’s weekend report, I found this CS age breakdown interesting.

 

Similar to the first movie, it’s the middle-aged folk who are weighing down the audience exits on Gunn’s Suicide Squad with 66% over 25 giving it a B, and 37% over 35 a B-. In fact, the over 25 crowd enjoyed this sequel slightly less than Ayer’s giving it a B- to the first’s B.”

  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RRA said:

Parsing DL’s weekend report, I found this CS age breakdown interesting.

 

Similar to the first movie, it’s the middle-aged folk who are weighing down the audience exits on Gunn’s Suicide Squad with 66% over 25 giving it a B, and 37% over 35 a B-. In fact, the over 25 crowd enjoyed this sequel slightly less than Ayer’s giving it a B- to the first’s B.”

 

:rofl:

  • Haha 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Gunn isn't wrong on watching things on tv and them becoming popular similar to A Wonderful Life, but that has stayed in the cultural zeitgeist and has created endless revenue streams because they sell millions of dollars in ads over the years.  

 

Where is The Suicide Squad ever going to be seen beyond its theatrical run.  From everything I understand it might end up on HBO, but largely it will live forever on HBOMax where it is completely dependent on being seen by people subscribed to it, which in the overall scheme of things is a very small amount of people.  

 

A Wonderful Life has been seen by literally billions of people over the last 70 years because it ends up on network or cable tv.  

 

That might be the sad lesson of streaming overall.  Way too many movies are going to never find their true audience because they live behind a gated paywall.  

Stuff like Narcos and Bojack Horseman have already appeared on syndication. High School Musical: The Series popped up on Disney Channel to hype up season 2. Disney and Warner own cable channels and broadcast networks, so I'd imagine Soul and Luca and Godzilla vs. Kong and Space Jam 2 to pop up on those channels. They're also readily available on home media or are set to be on home media, so it'll be pretty easy to watch these movies outside of their streaming services.

 

And even then, when you consider how movies these days are reliant on their franchises and corporate overlords, most of the audience for these movies...are already on these services. If Black Widow was exclusively on Disney+, I don't think the Marvel fanbase will be unable to access the film.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Gunn isn't wrong on watching things on tv and them becoming popular similar to A Wonderful Life, but that has stayed in the cultural zeitgeist and has created endless revenue streams because they sell millions of dollars in ads over the years.  

 

Where is The Suicide Squad ever going to be seen beyond its theatrical run.  From everything I understand it might end up on HBO, but largely it will live forever on HBOMax where it is completely dependent on being seen by people subscribed to it, which in the overall scheme of things is a very small amount of people.  

 

A Wonderful Life has been seen by literally billions of people over the last 70 years because it ends up on network or cable tv.  

 

That might be the sad lesson of streaming overall.  Way too many movies are going to never find their true audience because they live behind a gated paywall.  

These films always end up coming to open tv as well in the U.S., aren’t they? I think Gunn’s point is valid, it doesn’t mean that I think these films shouldn’t be delayed or if they aren’t, I think Disney+ still has the best model to the industry as a whole (ScarJo’s fiasco not withstanding). I would gladly pay for The Suicide Squad’s Premier Access, it’s just dumb that WB wouldn’t have a system like that in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, RRA said:

Parsing DL’s weekend report, I found this CS age breakdown interesting.

 

Similar to the first movie, it’s the middle-aged folk who are weighing down the audience exits on Gunn’s Suicide Squad with 66% over 25 giving it a B, and 37% over 35 a B-. In fact, the over 25 crowd enjoyed this sequel slightly less than Ayer’s giving it a B- to the first’s B.”

So the older you get, the less you like this movie haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.