Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

I just wanna say, the folks doing the tracking in the tracking thread do a great job and because of that (for the most part) this weekend thread has been pretty civil. Obviously the numbers aren’t good but when you know it’s coming and you have expectations it’s always easier then the other way around.

People will always fly off the handle a bit or make jokes but overall it’s been pretty good.  

• Like 4

@WrathOfHan here is a present:

21x:

In the Heights: Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Little Women, Little Women Round 2, Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), Just Mercy Round 2, The Call of the Wild Dolby, Wonder Woman 1984, Judas and the Black Messiah Dolby, Land, Raya and the Last Dragon Dolby, Oscar Nominated Live-Action Shorts, Godzilla vs. Kong Dolby, Mortal Kombat Dolby, Limbo, Together Together, Army of the Dead, Top Gun Dolby, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Touch of Evil 35mm, PlayTime 35mm, Cinema Paradiso 35mm

16x:

Black Widow: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Bombshell, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, The Grudge, Bad Boys for Life IMAX, The Gentlemen, Bloodshot IMAX, The Empire Strikes Back, The New Mutants IMAX, Judas and the Black Messiah Dolby, Army of the Dead, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Wrath of Man, F9 Dolby

14x:

Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway: Playmobil: The Movie, Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Little Women, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood Round 2, Little Women Round 2, Spies in Disguise, The Call of the Wild Dolby, Onward Dolby, Coco Round 7, The Croods Round 2, The Croods: A New Age, Raya and the Last Dragon Dolby, Oscar Nominated Animated Shorts

13x:

F9: Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), Nobody Dolby, Godzilla vs. Kong Dolby, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World Dolby, Limbo, Top Gun Dolby, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Fast Five, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Love and Basketball
No Time to Die: Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, Bad Boys for Life IMAX, Gretel & Hansel, The Invisible Man Dolby, Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Akira, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Promising Young Woman, Wrath of Man, F9 Dolby, The Suicide Squad IMAX

12x:

Jungle Cruise: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil, The Invisible Man Dolby, In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Spirit Untamed, Luca, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Black Widow Dolby, Cruella, Black Widow Round 2, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX, The Boss Baby: Family Business

10x:

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, Black Widow Dolby, Zola, Cruella, Black Widow Round 2, Pig, Old, Jungle Cruise Dolby, The Suicide Squad IMAX

9x:

Snake Eyes: G I. Joe Origins: A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Dolby, In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, F9 Dolby, Summer of Soul Dolby, Black Widow Dolby, Zola, Cruella, Pig
Free Guy: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, The New Mutants IMAX, Akira, Michael Jordan to the MAX IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Jungle Cruise Dolby, The Suicide Squad IMAX

8x:

The King’s Man: Good Boys, Apocalypse Now: Final Cut IMAX, Hustlers, Ford v Ferrari Dolby, The New Mutants IMAX, F9 Dolby, Black Widow Dolby

7x:

Roadrunner: A Film About Anthony Bourdain: In the Heights, Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers, Summer of Soul Dolby, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 35mm, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 35mm, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 35mm
The Suicide Squad: Godzilla vs. Kong Dolby, The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man, F9 Dolby, The Sparks Brothers, Black Widow Round 2, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX

Reminiscence: The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Dolby, In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby, Black Widow Dolby, Zola, The Suicide Squad IMAX

6x:

Escape Room: Tournament of Champions: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Dolby, Love and Basketball, F9 Dolby, The Sparks Brothers, Zola
Space Jam: A New Legacy: In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Spirit Untamed, Love and Basketball, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Cruella

The French Dispatch: Downhill, Wendy, Borat Subsequent Moviefilm, Dazed and Confused, Summer of Soul Dolby, Pig
Ghostbusters: Afterlife: Jumanji: The Next Level Dolby, Little Women, Little Women Round 2, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Wonder Woman 1984, Jungle Cruise Dolby
Dune: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Akira, Kajillionaire, The Nun, Jungle Cruise Dolby, The Suicide Squad IMAX

5x:

Respect: In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Love and Basketball, Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby
Dear Evan Hansen: In the Heights Round 2 Dolby, Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby
Top Gun: Maverick: Gemini Man Dolby HFR120fps3D, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Dolby, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Round 2 IMAX, A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, Snake Eyes: G.I. Joe Origins IMAX

4x:

Morbius: The Gentlemen, Bloodshot IMAX, The New Mutants IMAX, Tenet Round 3 IMAX
Night House: Godzilla vs. Kong Dolby, Limbo, Those Who Wish Me Dead, Wrath of Man
Summer of 85: Touch of Evil 35mm, PlayTime 35mm, Cinema Paradiso 35mm, In the Heights
The Boss Baby: Family Business: The Croods: A New Age, Raya and the Last Dragon Dolby, Spirit Untamed, F9 Dolby

West Side Story: Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers, In the Heights Round 3, Summer of Soul Dolby
The Green Knight: Minari, Sound of Metal Round 2, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 35mm, Zola
Hotel Transylvania: Transformania: Spirit Untamed, In the Heights Round 3, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Cruella
Candyman: The Invisible Man Dolby, Zola, Pig, Old
Paw Patrol: The Movie: Spirit Untamed, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, The Boss Baby: Family Business, Jungle Cruise Dolby

3x:

Rumble: Sonic the Hedgehog Dolby, The Personal History of David Copperfield, Coco Round 7
Minions: The Rise of Gru: The Call of the Wild Dolby, Onward Dolby, The Croods Round 2
Death on the Nile: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby, Synchronic
The Forever Purge: A Quiet Place Part II IMAX, The Conjuring 2 Round 2, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Do It Dolby
Summer of Soul: Love and Basketball, Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, The Sparks Brothers
Pig: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring 35mm, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers 35mm, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King 35mm

Last Night in SoHo: The Sparks Brothers, Old, The Green Knight
Ron’s Gone Wrong: Luca, Peter Rabbit 2: The Runaway, Jungle Cruise Dolby
Sing 2: F9 Dolby, The Boss Baby: Family Business, Jungle Cruise Dolby
The Protégé: Black Widow Dolby, Old, The Suicide Squad IMAX 

2x:

The Comeback Trail: Tenet Round 3 IMAX, Honest Thief Dolby
The 335: Honest Thief Dolby, Mank
12 Mighty Orphans: French Exit, Top Gun Dolby
Zola: French Exit, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It Dolby

Eternals: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Spider-Man: No Way Home: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Thor: Love and Thunder: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Black Panther: Wakanda Forever: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
The Marvels: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
Fantastic Four: The Conjuring 2 Round 2, Wrath of Man
I Carry You With Me: French Exit, In the Heights
Old: F9 Dolby, Black Widow Dolby
Joe Bell: Rita Moreno: Just a Girl Who Decided to Go for It, Zola
Nine Days: Wonder Woman 1984, Pig

Jackass Forever: Old, The Suicide Squad IMAX

1x:

Luca: Raya and the Last Dragon Dolby
Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard: Mortal Kombat Dolby
Ailey: In the Heights Round 3

The Eyes of Tammy Faye: Summer of Soul Dolby
Stillwater: Black Widow Round 2
Flee: Pig
Titane: Pig
The Last Duel: Old
Malignant: Old
Halloween Kills: Old
Demonic: The Green Knight
Ema: The Green Knight
The Addams Family 2: Jungle Cruise Dolby

Edited by Blankments
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Okay another question.

How does Netflix thrive with moderately big budgeted movies without theaters or DVDs?

They may be part of the entertainment industry but their model is different to that of the studios. It's the studios trying to copy them not the other way around. Except with the studios, they already had all kinds of legacy revenue that their current movies look bad compared against older movies. 

6 hours ago, Eric Quinn said:

They make these movies at a loss and use subscription revenue to basically pay for their budgets

This statement makes 0 sense. What does "make it at a loss" even mean? The only place these are played, and have been played, is Netflix. Subscription revenue is the only place to pay for their budgets. You're getting your wires crossed. 

4 hours ago, Jamiem said:

I love theatrical and want the 45 day window to succeed (hope everyone like me will go see Free Guy or Shang-Chi or Top Gun or Bond etc. to show the studios it is viable) but there is no need to straight up lie to fit your narrative. 

Here is Disney's studio breakdown from the most recent quarter (there is another one next week but I'm taking about the one from 3 months ago) where they only had $109m of theatrical revenue yet had operating income of $312m, largely off the back of SVOD.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-11-11-56-AM.pn

Historically I did a revenue breakdown of Disney studios a few weeks ago, I've added operating income. Will put this in a quote as it is long but as you can see studio revenue and operating profit boomed in 2016 due to both a theatrical slate and a big pay 1 deal with Netflix (source:https://money.cnn.com/2012/12/04/technology/netflix-disney/index.html) and 2020 stayed pretty flat due to Disney+ even with a pandemic, something impressive to note is that Disney SVOD, TV and Other revenue in 2020 was bigger than 2012 revenue for the studio as a whole (the year Disney released The Avengers) 

The other major streaming studio Warner is a bit harder to get a sense of as they include TV, Gaming and Studio in one but HBO Max hasn't hurt them (or helped them) so far as both Revenues and Expenses (marketing, film/tv costs) have gone up in tandem, but you can see they still stayed relatively the same even with HBO Max day and date.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-08-at-10-59-07-AM.pn

I do think the best way for Studios to make a bunch of money is with both theatrical and SVOD firing in unison but to say they are not profitable with streaming is a misconception. 

Well, you could argue that despite theatrical and home video collapsing, SVOD didn't even increase. It still fell. Obviously in a pandemic you can't rely on the latter two, but to say that in the future without a pandemic that the studios need to pivot to streaming is not true. Streaming just cannibalizes other revenue streams. The closer to release date it is, the more it affects overall revenue. As previously mentioned, the studios are not currently and will not ever be like Netflix. They run on different models.

4 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

He didn't lie.

I always find funny when someone say streaming is killing the movies because "no one talk about they after released" when literally every classic movie resist to time because of home video and TV.

A good and well liked movie find it's audience, Luca came out almost 2 months ago and it's still holding on impressively on Nielsen charts. It actually hold way better than Soul and WW84 which are the biggest streaming movies on their openings.

There's an example of that even on DC, BOP is a failure on theaters but it seems like it's being consistenly revisited and having good numbers on streaming. Like i said on this thread, the opening for TSS it's unnaceptable to me, but i also think this can easily become a big movie on streaming and age well with audiences.

Yeah but if it resides on a streaming platform, there is zero way to attribute any new money to it. Unlike direct home video sales, rentals, PVOD, TV deals etc. I don't think they've come up with a formula to attribute the subscription price across all their movies. Maybe they will start doing it. They should although each studio would do it differently. 

I mean, think about it in this example, for a given month:

Subscriber A: Watches Moana for 2mins, Watches Endgame fully

Subscriber B: Watches Moana for 2 mins, 30 mins, full movie, Watches Endgame for 30 mins

Subscriber C Watches 100 movies fully and watches 100 movies for 30 mins

What formula are you going to split your subscription revenue to all these movies to determine what movie is retaining your users? Obviously those that are never played would not get any piece of that. Companies aim for power users, but each movie for sub C is getting cents, whereas sub A, Endgame gets it all. 

You can keep drawing different metrics to what should count and it becomes hard to attribute.

4 hours ago, Barnack said:

Not sure if true but apparently an employee messed up some form that made it free for TV station to play It's a wonderful life for a very long time, so everyone was playing it all the time and that helped to build an holiday tradition of watching it.

It’s a Wonderful Life entered the public domain by accident. In 1946, when the movie was filmed, U.S. copyright protection lasted 28 years and could be renewed for another 28 years by filing some paperwork and paying a nominal fee. However, Republic Pictures, the original copyright owner and producer of Wonderful Life, neglected to renew the 1946 copyright in 1974. So, the film entered the public domain. Though a box office flop on release, it became immensely popular on television thanks to repeated showings: Stations programmed it heavily during the holidays, paying no royalties to its producers, and more than 100 distributors sold the movie on tape.

Ironic that its popularity was due to it being in the public domain and then they pulled it back in. But this is why the public domain is so important but too many want to defend Disney and corporations for what they did to make sure most culture is destroyed by time instead of being preserved.

3 hours ago, Jamiem said:

To add a little to my post from before I think Paramount have the best strategy of the 45 day window for massive tentpoles and a bunch of mid budget movies for Paramount+, that said their streaming revenue is still only at about $1B a quarter and a decent chunk of that is advertising revenue from Pluto TV. 

I think that is the strategy that both Warner and Disney will have in 2022/2023 at the least, but if worst case happens and theatrical doesn't bounce back big budget projects will shift even more so to TV as it is better for a streamer to monetise a show over 6-10 weeks vs. 1 week for a movie (I'm sure there would be some $150-200m movies for streaming but they would be a rarity compared to shows of a similar budget)

But TV episodes aren't exactly short. The budget for special effects would balloon no? Also, once again, the studios need to figure out how to attribute subscriber revenue to their content that makes sense and I doubt they have figured it out and it will always be done differently within each company until someone forces a standard - probably the SAG, DGA, WGA have to come together and do so.

And for the rest of the topics in this thread. Saying that the content is crap, so that's why no one is watching anything is dumb when you can then only refer to a handful of films each year that meet your criteria. That handful is not enough to sustain the marketplace - and if you look back at any pre-pandemic year, there are lots of duds that make money. 

You can't say they just need to make movies like AQP2 and NTTD. It's not even true that good movies necessarily make the most money. Yes, no one asked for TSS. Who even reboots a film in less than 5 years and keeps most of the cast and the name? Casual audience will certainly not be excited - myself included - because the first was a really terrible movie. But having said all that, it wouldn't have opened to less than $30m without the pandemic. 

And whilst we ponder about this pandemic affected BO - there's really no guarantee in our lifetimes that anything goes back to normal. When covid finally subsides - if it does - will there be another pandemic? Climate change just continues to get worse. 

The way these movies are made won't last forever. All those dystopian films are a lot closer to reality than once thought. And obviously no one is watching movies in those. 

I know it's off topic, but it just kind of hit me that we're all hankering for a normality that will not return. You can't go back to 2019 no matter how much people want it to happen. I wonder when the rest of humanity will realize and pivot. Can't say I'm too optimistic about it when the elites in governments and businesses are all about the return to status quo to exact the same amount of control as before. It'll be too late once we do, I'm sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, BK007 said:

And whilst we ponder about this pandemic affected BO - there's really no guarantee in our lifetimes that anything goes back to normal. When covid finally subsides - if it does - will there be another pandemic? Climate change just continues to get worse. 

The way these movies are made won't last forever. All those dystopian films are a lot closer to reality than once thought. And obviously no one is watching movies in those. 

I know it's off topic, but it just kind of hit me that we're all hankering for a normality that will not return. You can't go back to 2019 no matter how much people want it to happen. I wonder when the rest of humanity will realize and pivot. Can't say I'm too optimistic about it when the elites in governments and businesses are all about the return to status quo to exact the same amount of control as before. It'll be too late once we do, I'm sure.

Avatar 2 is coming , 4 billion guaranteed