Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

6 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Kind of interesting to note that the verified audience RT score for TSS has been dropping steadily and quickly. It's gone from 92% to now 85% in 2 days. Wonder how much further it drops and when it starts to stabilize. Unverified is 80% for reference.

I heard James made 185m trauma film, it definitely won't be for everyone

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Kind of interesting to note that the verified audience RT score for TSS has been dropping steadily and quickly. It's gone from 92% to now 85% in 2 days. Wonder how much further it drops and when it starts to stabilize. Unverified is 80% for reference.

Was going to mention this. I think it’s fair to say almost a quarter of the audience is going to think the film is too silly for their taste. Not everyone loves gunn’s style. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Once Dune inevitably bombs, I feel like Denis will have no choice but to join the Netflix/streaming crowd like Martin Scorsese did. No way in hell the major studios give him anything after that.

If it bombs he will say it's because of the pandemic and the day and date release, and he will be right.

No one will ever proove that it was always going to bomb even without the terrible conditions right now.

And he already make a deal with streaming, he is responsible for the Dune TV show for HBO Max.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ThomasNicole said:

If it bombs he will say it's because of the pandemic and the day and date release, and he will be right.

No one will ever proove that it was always going to bomb even without the terrible conditions right now.

And he already make a deal with streaming, he is responsible for the Dune TV show for HBO Max.

it’s a fair excuse. what movies this summer would’ve tanked in a reality without plagues or day/date/streaming? I’ve argued before ITH and Snake Eyes I’m certain were doomed regardless. But everything else? You can play those excuse bingo cards and people can’t prove you wrong.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

Well, you could argue that despite theatrical and home video collapsing, SVOD didn't even increase. It still fell. Obviously in a pandemic you can't rely on the latter two, but to say that in the future without a pandemic that the studios need to pivot to streaming is not true. Streaming just cannibalizes other revenue streams. The closer to release date it is, the more it affects overall revenue. As previously mentioned, the studios are not currently and will not ever be like Netflix. They run on different models.

You could argue that but it would be ignorant as the volume of films released from Disney for the theatrical/home market in Q1 2020 was much larger than Q1 2021. It's hard for streaming to make as much money YoY if there is less volume of product, in particular when the only major release for Q1 2021 was Raya and for less than a month at that. 

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

But TV episodes aren't exactly short. The budget for special effects would balloon no? Also, once again, the studios need to figure out how to attribute subscriber revenue to their content that makes sense and I doubt they have figured it out and it will always be done differently within each company until someone forces a standard - probably the SAG, DGA, WGA have to come together and do so.

You do realise that studios have to compensate any profit participants (actors, writers, directors, producers etc.) when something is sold to streaming (even if it is their own streaming service) so this isn't a problem for those series/films, they don't attribute by minute watched but by fair value in the market thus Warner and NBC paying around $100m a year for Friends and The Office domestic rights for their respective streamers as that was the precedent Netflix set, some will be true for Disney films which were around $30m USD per film during that period likely Disney pays more than that on a per film basis.

On top of that Disney/Warner/Netflix pay a premium for big series/films that go straight to streaming if it cuts out those profit participants so they pay more upfront to cover possible longterm losses. 

22 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Once Dune inevitably bombs, I feel like Denis will have no choice but to join the Netflix/streaming crowd like Martin Scorsese did. No way in hell the major studios give him anything after that.

Do you think Hollywood execs are too dumb to compare it to movies under similar circumstances, or is every filmmaker who released a movie during the pandemic going to be banned from the studies?

8 minutes ago, RRA said:

it’s a fair excuse. what movies this summer would’ve tanked in a reality without plagues or day/date/streaming? I’ve argued before ITH and Snake Eyes I’m certain were doomed regardless. But everything else? You can play those excuse bingo cards and people can’t prove you wrong.

Exactly, and in other hand we have a MCU movie that won´t reach 400M globally. The most successful WB movie this year did only 276M without China. 

I feel that some people really think Dune needs to gross 500M to be perceived as a success but at this point, it doesn´t, this would be a reality pre pandemic but not now with the numbers we have.

I talk this earlier and i really believe, Dune only need to do 30M OW and majority of media will spin it as a relative success because everyone is expecting it to be a disaster. If it makes 33M OW, Warner will brag about how it´s a win and their biggest opening since pandemic started, the stats is so low that it only need to do okayish numbers to be a overperformer.

And if it really turns out to be a true ITH level disaster, then Villeneuve have the perfect excuse and that´s it, not even Warner have enough good data to challenging him on this.

Well, the awkward thing for Dune is it may well come out when the pandemic is perceived as being much less of a problem. If it had a March — August release then it really would be possible to excuse almost any weak numbers as “oh, well, you know, it was the pandemic that did this, not the product 👀.”   

But it”s not at all obvious that that will still fly in late October 

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

6 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

Well, the awkward thing for Dune is it may well come out when the pandemic is perceived as being much less of a problem. If it had a March — August release then it really would be possible to excuse almost any weak numbers as “oh, well, you know, it was the pandemic that did this, not the product 👀.”   

But it”s not at all obvious that that will still fly in late October 

If the pandemic isn't a problem in Oct. then that is the farthest thing from awkward for Dune.

7 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

If the pandemic isn't a problem in Oct. then that is the farthest thing from awkward for Dune.

Well, I mean, it kind of is and it kind of isn’t, right? People just up on this page were suggesting that a pandemic release could be good for its sequel prospects by way of excusing low numbers. But they can’t have it both ways. If the pandemic is good for its sequel chances, then less pandemic is bad, even if performs better as a result.   

Now admittedly I’m not totally sold on the idea to begin with, just taking it to its logical extension.

Edited by Lokis Legion

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

Well, I mean, it kind of is and it kind of isn’t, right? People just up on this page were suggesting that a pandemic release could be good for its sequel prospects by way of excusing low numbers. But they can’t have it both ways. If the pandemic is good for its sequel chances, then less pandemic is bad, even if performs better as a result.   

Now admittedly I’m not totally sold on the idea to begin with, just taking it to its logical extension.

I don't think the pandemic matters much either way, because it'll get compared to movies with similar releases (e.g. TSS and GvK if the situation is still similar). If it underperforms compared to these movies that can hurt it, but otherwise it'll be fine.

• Like 1