Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

2 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Once Dune inevitably bombs, I feel like Denis will have no choice but to join the Netflix/streaming crowd like Martin Scorsese did. No way in hell the major studios give him anything after that.

I think @BK007 is spot on his last page post. Things aren't going back to 2019, this is the new normal. How the industry will adapt to it I don't know, but thinking that Disney and WB are doing what they are doing just to mimick Netflix business model is myopic at best and delusional at worse.

The studios and filmmaking will have to adapt, and that's what we are witnessing right now. I don't see Villeneuve not getting studio work after Dune. In fact, I see WB fighting to keep him, just like they will fight to keep James Gunn despite The Suicide Squad being a box office dud. Models like the Premier Access are here to stay, wether we like it or not.

2 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

In retrospect , Black Widow opening weekend looks so good despite all the hurdles. Clearly 80m is tough to reach than we thought.

I absolutely love Black Widow, but that films run seems so tarnished at this point lol. It’s a shame. 

Huge drops, bad comparisons to the rest of the MCU, people throwing hissy fits about its A- instead of A score, articles using it as the face of the pandemic box office, international territories closing, China ignoring it etc.

And now, of course, the court case.

People really sucked the fun out of it. 

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

Well, the awkward thing for Dune is it may well come out when the pandemic is perceived as being much less of a problem. If it had a March — August release then it really would be possible to excuse almost any weak numbers as “oh, well, you know, it was the pandemic that did this, not the product 👀.”   

But it”s not at all obvious that that will still fly in late October 

Take me to this reality isn't a problem anymore, I'd really like to live there wherever it is.

Giving the title "THE" Suicide Squad was a big mistake.The Sequel is wayy better than the original & newly introduced characters were good. That being said plot offered nothing new , stakes were not higher & few action scenes were dragged out.

Also Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn is NOT a box office draw.

if Dune is amazing (and I’m sure it will be) then who cares if WB don’t want to shell out for the second half? We’re now in a world where a Netflix or an Apple would be only too happy to take it off their hands and give Villeneuve whatever he wants. 

Just now, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Next week might be a pretty painful one for us, as the fall slate will likely rot away piece by piece. Paramount blinked by shelving Clifford already. Who's next?

Green Knight in the UK

Venom 2 in Australia.

• Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

if Dune is amazing (and I’m sure it will be) then who cares if WB don’t want to shell out for the second half? We’re now in a world where a Netflix or an Apple would be only too happy to take it off their hands and give Villeneuve whatever he wants. 

That depends on who has the Dune license. If it's Legendary, then the scenario you're describing might just happen.

1 hour ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I think @BK007 is spot on his last page post. Things aren't going back to 2019, this is the new normal. How the industry will adapt to it I don't know, but thinking that Disney and WB are doing what they are doing just to mimick Netflix business model is myopic at best and delusional at worse.

The studios and filmmaking will have to adapt, and that's what we are witnessing right now. I don't see Villeneuve not getting studio work after Dune. In fact, I see WB fighting to keep him, just like they will fight to keep James Gunn despite The Suicide Squad being a box office dud. Models like the Premier Access are here to stay, wether we like it or not.

Lol you bunch of panickers. It's been just 18 months since the start of the pandemic and just 6 months since we've had a tool to fight it. People have been going to the cinema for almost 100 years, they aren't going to stop FOREVER because of a single pandemic in our lifetime. We are witnessing a slump, not the change in cinema as we know it. A few years from now, I can't see cinemas not going back to normal, we just got to be patient. 

Less doom and gloom people

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'd say at the very least she was when the first film released. Of course that film being utter shit tarnished that.

I think Will Smith and the Joker in that old trailer added more to draw audiences in than Harley Quinn, she just happened to be the best part of a shit move when all was said and done.

6 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I think Will Smith and the Joker in that old trailer added more to draw audiences in than Harley Quinn, she just happened to be the best part of a shit move when all was said and done.

Maybe, but her Harley Quinn felt like a lot bigger deal back in 2016 (because of the novelty factor I guess) than she does now. I do feel like she would've been a much bigger draw for this had this movie released in 2016 instead of the first film.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Lol you bunch of panickers. It's been just 18 months since the start of the pandemic and just 6 months since we've had a tool to fight it. People have been going to the cinema for almost 100 years, they aren't going to stop FOREVER because of a single pandemic in our lifetime. We are witnessing a slump, not the change in cinema as we know it. A few years from now, I can't see cinemas not going back to normal, we just got to be patient. 

Less doom and gloom people

I’m sure that you are right. But I don’t think a lot of the movie theater chains will be able to stick around to witness that. I will go back to the movies as soon as it is safe, the fact is that isn’t right now, neither it will be anytime soon. It makes sense to studios like Disney and WB to invest hard in streaming because that’s where the reliable money is. Things will change, and this "slump" is going to take a good while, that’s what I was saying.

29 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Or people are not interested in her as a solo character and prefer her as a couple with Joker. 

That's too specific an issue. The character has been separate from the Joker for 10+ years now outside few instances (that mostly end with her leaving the Joker). That sounds more like whiny internet fanboy nonsense to me. Most modern versions of Harley take more from the Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmotti version than they do the Bruce Time version.

The problem is girls and women are not fussed about Harley Quinn. A PG13 Birds of Prey, and more starring roles in the kids shows could've helped (is DC SuperHero Girls still going?). The adult-animated show is good but it was locked behind the failed DC Universe App for two seasons. Is it that popular? I have no idea.

Edited by AJG

13 minutes ago, AJG said:

That's too specific an issue. The character has been separate from the Joker for 10+ years now outside few instances (that mostly end with her leaving the Joker). That sounds more like whiny internet fanboy nonsense to me.

The problem is girls and women are not fussed about Harley Quinn. A PG13 Birds of Prey, and more starring roles in the kids shows could've helped (is DC SuperHero Girls still going?). The adult-animated show is good but it was locked behind the failed DC Universe App for two seasons. Is it that popular? I have no idea.

It isn’t but it should. It kinda has a cult following, but you are right that the DC Universe app non sense and WB slow thinking of getting that on HBO a lot sooner didn’t help people seeing that show.

I legit think we are ignoring the most obvious issue here. This would definitively have a bigger box office result without the pandemic. I will also insist that it would have a better Cinemascore without hardcores being a major presence in the moviegoing experience currently. It was released at the wrong time, and HBO Max idiotic plan of having the film available only in North America and not worldwide, without charging an additional fee similar to Premier Access doesn’t help the film’s profit either.

It’s kinda hilarious how "piracy" was a hot topic with Black Widow but not a hot topic here. HBO Max confusing release is worse in a globalized world. How does releasing this film in North America day and date in HBO Max and not everywhere else will help WB again? They really expect people that live in COVID infested countries to just go in the theater instead? LOL.

Edited by Alligator Zatt