Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

2 hours ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Green Knight bailing over here is extremely daft if it really is due to Delta, though I'd suspect something else is at play

Baffling. I cannot wait to see it.  Was all set to go opening day until it got pulled last minute.

Isn't the Harley Quinn thing really pretty obvious about her box office popularity since the first Suicide Squad and why it seems to have gone way down?

This will be a very unpopular take and not one I "support", but I think it is clear she was a draw in Suicide Squad because Ayer had her highly sexualized and the trailer and scene with her running around in little shorts and showing her body off was a huge attraction for the core audience.  Look at all of the cosplay of her over the years, it certainly isn't wearing a big fluffy covered up red dress.  

BOP and The Suicide Squad had directors that both made her character non-sexualized and her wardrobe was completely different from what Ayer and the cosplay has always been.  

Right, wrong or indifferent, my guess is this has had everything to do with Harley Quinn not having the cinematic draw that she did previously.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Baffling. I cannot wait to see it.  Was all set to go opening day until it got pulled last minute.

They got a streaming deal that covered all their costs and more.  It was a business decision.  

12 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Do we know who got it? 

Hopefully it's Amazon or Netflix, and not Sky (like what happened with Gunpowder Milkshake).

Sky don't have 4K. Now TV's 1080p is upscaled 720p, and they increase the playback speed of all their movies (for reasons that are beyond me). 

It's pretty clear what the main problem with TSS is...

The absence of Big Willie leaves a gaping hole. 

Sequels with no Big Willie:

• Independence Day: Resurgence 
  • Men in Black: International
  • The Suicide Squad

Sequels with Big Willie:

• MIB 2
  • MIB 3
  • Bad Boys 2
  • Bad Boys For Life
  • Anchorman 2 

I rest my case!

• Like 7

from DL for next two Disney titles.

When will we know if the delta variant is truly impacting the domestic box office? There are a few more goal posts coming up, and they’re all releases respecting a theatrical window. Disney has 20th Century’s Ryan Reynolds’ Free Guy next weekend which is looking like $19M, and Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Shang-Chi and the Legend of Ten Rings over Labor Day. Now, hardly anyone, pandemic or no pandemic, goes to the movies over Labor Day, so if we Shang-Chi can beat the robust Labor Day 4-day of Guardians of the Galaxy ($22.9M 4th-weekend), I’d say business is pretty good. There’s also the Sept 24 release of Sony’s Venom: Let There Be Carnage and the long-awaited Oct. 8 launch of MGM/UAR’s No Time to Die. If anything is greatly amiss with these films at the box office, then we can likely blame the variant.

29 minutes ago, AJG said:

Hopefully it's Amazon or Netflix, and not Sky (like what happened with Gunpowder Milkshake).

Sky don't have 4K. Now TV's 1080p is upscaled 720p, and they increase the playback speed of all their movies (for reasons that are beyond me). 

Sky have got 4K on Sky Q, but you have to download it as there’s no dedicated channel. There’s also an extra sub to get 4K at about £10 a month - absolute joke. 

I’m hoping Netflix, as Amazon sat on Palm Springs for six months before they put that on in January. 

57 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Isn't the Harley Quinn thing really pretty obvious about her box office popularity since the first Suicide Squad and why it seems to have gone way down?

This will be a very unpopular take and not one I "support", but I think it is clear she was a draw in Suicide Squad because Ayer had her highly sexualized and the trailer and scene with her running around in little shorts and showing her body off was a huge attraction for the core audience.  Look at all of the cosplay of her over the years, it certainly isn't wearing a big fluffy covered up red dress.  

BOP and The Suicide Squad had directors that both made her character non-sexualized and her wardrobe was completely different from what Ayer and the cosplay has always been.  

Right, wrong or indifferent, my guess is this has had everything to do with Harley Quinn not having the cinematic draw that she did previously.   

Is the horny teenage boys audience really that important though? Marvel haven’t really sexualized any of their female characters since Black Widow in IM2, but it doesn’t seem to have hurt the BO of the later movies.