Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

16 minutes ago, Maggie said:

If they don't move it, Spidey is gonna disappoint. Anyway, it's more of a feeling....coupled with the Scarlett thing. Marvel has passed their peak imo.

Jesus dude, every fucking post is move it!! and doom and gloom.  

• Like 4

Geez 26,6 mln $, it's really a legit bomb.

I know there are milions excuses etc, but there's no way to spin it as any kind of success. 

185 mln$ DC film directed by James Gun starring Margot Robbie, Idris Elba and John Cena with great critical reception on top of that oppend to only 3 (!) mln $ more than freaking Mortal Kombat film which also was R-rated, for free on HBO Max day and date and also opened in pandemic environment, even worse one than TSS had. This is as good comp as we can get. There’s no way to defend it.

It's a shame becouse film was actually pretty great. 

Edited by Movie nerd
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

DCEU OW PTA since 2016

BvS - $39,134
SS - $31,417
WW - $24,790
JL - $23,165
Aquaman - $16,454
Shazam - $12,688
BoP - $7,792
WW84 - $7,764

The Suicide Squad - $6,600 Approx

It would be funny if box office never recovers from the pandemic and BVS and SS hold on to their opening weekend records for eternity (biggest Easter weekend and biggest August weekend, respectively)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Sanjay83 said:

That is not good..

Pretty bad numbers..

What will happen to PeaceMaker in HBO Max..

They staked so much on James Gunn type of humor/gore..

I imagine this is doing well on HBO Max, so the Peacemaker show will do fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Darth Homer said:

Is the horny teenage boys audience really that important though? Marvel haven’t really sexualized any of their female characters since Black Widow in IM2, but it doesn’t seem to have hurt the BO of the later movies.

Horny teenage boys?  Try more like pervert 40 and 50 year old men.  

Shang-Chi definitely feels like the Marvel project with the least amount of hype leading up to release since arguably the first Ant-Man. Honestly if it weren't for their brand being attached I wouldn't be expecting higher than a $30M opening even in normal times.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Menor said:

Shang-Chi hasn't even started presales yet and people are declaring "end of superhero movies" lmao. TSS had some of the worst trailer views for a superhero film. It was always going to be a fairly low opener for the genre. I can't claim I expected it to be this low before presales but this is hardly the movie to judge the strength of the genre from.

I wouldn't worry what folks are saying right now. World is always ending when something underperforms. Now, if Eternals, SM and Bond underperform than we've problem until then I wouldn't fret.

Clearly pretty terrible numbers. No thoughts on the movie itself, but I doubt I'll miss seeing any of the characters in this, except for Robbie's Harley Quinn. I'd really like it if they keep her in some way in this franchise (or in a reboot or whatever). Quite easily the best thing to come out of the franchise (a geniunely sincere and fun performance, which feels pretty rare in the genre).

Also if the two Marvel solo films don't do quite well, I could see superhero movies mainly consist of 4-5 heavy-hitters and big crossover films in total each year (Avengers, Black Panther, Spider-man, Batman) while everything else gets shoved to TV/streaming.

7 minutes ago, RobrtmanAStarWarsReference said:

I imagine this is doing well on HBO Max, so the Peacemaker show will do fine.

Right, and never get why people are worried about any financial numbers when it comes to streaming service viability.  AT&T was willing to burn a billion dollars just to dump the entire 2021 slate on HBOMax.  The box office performance of The Suicide Squad means absolutely nothing to them when it comes to Peacemaker.  

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Geez 26,6 mln $, it's really a legit bomb.

I know there are milions excuses etc, but there's no way to spin it as any kind of success. 

185 mln$ DC film directed by James Gun starring Margot Robbie, Idris Elba and John Cena with great critical reception on top of that oppend to only 3 (!) mln $ more than freaking Mortal Kombat film which also was R-rated, for free on HBO Max day and date and also opened in pandemic environment, even worse one than TSS had. This is as good comp as we can get. There’s no way to defend it.

It's a shame becouse film was actually pretty great. 

This box office open does say "retire the current Suicide Squad characters, stay away from the franchise for a decade, and focus on some of the other DC properties for now"...

I mean, Teen Titans Go to the Movies was an awesomely fun animated movie - but its box office run killed any chances for any more movies for a decade...this open should do the same for The Suicide Squad, regardless of how good the movie is...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Jesus dude, every fucking post is move it!! and doom and gloom.  

To be fair, Sony would’ve been expecting a $1 Billion gross minimum from NWH and now with Delta anything over $500mil will be considered a big win. For a studio like Sony that’s a lot of money to throw down the drain when they barely have any other tent poles left. Moving is the smart decision for the non Disney/WB studios 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Shang-Chi definitely feels like the Marvel project with the least amount of hype leading up to release since arguably the first Ant-Man. Honestly if it weren't for their brand being attached I wouldn't be expecting higher than a $30M opening even in normal times.

Disney must have given Deadline the head's up that they are expecting mid-$30s, so to start the "greatly lowering of the expectations now, so we can exceed them later" - I mean, the "Shang Chi can do better than a 4th weekend of a supers movie and that's good" discussions are laughably bad analysis, even for Deadline...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gcsin20 said:

To be fair, Sony would’ve been expecting a $1 Billion gross minimum from NWH and now with Delta anything over $500mil will be considered a big win. For a studio like Sony that’s a lot of money to throw down the drain when they barely have any other tent poles left. Moving is the smart decision for the non Disney/WB studios 

fast 9 will make 700 mill, and bw with piracy like hell+no china+pa +not as big as spiderman will still make 400 million or so , personally i think that no way home will make 600-700 mill-china at least

Edited by john2000

i enjoy the fact that people on twitter , every time someone mentioned jungle cruise  legs, they said that is bc of the rock ..... i didnt know that the rock had magical powers to make his movie have great legs.....

4 minutes ago, Gcsin20 said:

Why is moving the smart decision?  Movies moved 18 months and they still end up smack dab in the middle of a virus surge.  What guarantee is there that moving NWH protects it?  Also, not to mention if that moves they have to move all sorts of other things because of the MCU timelines.  

Like most of the world, studios are going to have to settle for "hopefully we break even or make some money" rather than hording in hundreds of millions in profit.  They can't move stuff forever.  

• Like 5

Just now, EmpireCity said:

Why is moving the smart decision?  Movies moved 18 months and they still end up smack dab in the middle of a virus surge.  What guarantee is there that moving NWH protects it?  Also, not to mention if that moves they have to move all sorts of other things because of the MCU timelines.  

Like most of the world, studios are going to have to settle for "hopefully we break even or make some money" rather than hording in hundreds of millions in profit.  They can't move stuff forever.  

and some movie still make more than just break even a quite place 2, conjuring 3  made big profit and both fast 9 and bw if you also include post theatrical and d+ money will still make some profit in the end........

• Like 2