Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

21 minutes ago, KC7 said:

I had to laugh at how hard some of these articles are overselling the biggest R-rating opening thing, like EW saying

"'The Suicide Squad' shatters pandemic box office record" or Deadline's "Biggest For R-Rated Film During Pandemic"

"the biggest number for a R-rated movie during the Covid era"!!!!!

"There haven’t been many R-rated movies during the pandemic;"

I mean, good for WB...but let's have some perspective, no?

If this were Disney, they’d be shitting all over it.

16 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I mean…saying it’s the biggest R rated preview during the pandemic IS accurate, so that tweet seems quite salty to me.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I mean…saying it’s the biggest R rated preview during the pandemic IS accurate, so that tweet seems quite salty to me.

That guy is salty about everything lmao. Unfollowed him two months ago when he just went after proper pandemic successes.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, cax16 said:

Is this the first weekend thread for most of you? Studios constantly put out headlines/press releases to spin stuff so it looks more favourable? What else do you want them to do? Say the numbers suck and we lost 10s of millions? Lol 

They only do that when a movie is a massive underperformer, like when WB came out and said In the Heights didn't do that much better on HBOMax, either. Another time the studio couldn't even try to spin the flop was Richard Jewell, and also that Sandra Bullock one where she works as a political advisor in South America, the box office was brutal for both. All one-offs, though it's probably different for a brand that a studio wants to continue with future movies.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

1 minute ago, lorddemaxus said:

That guy is salty about everything lmao. Unfollowed him two months ago when he just went after proper pandemic successes.

you mean Exhibitor Relations ? i follow him only for box office updates, but yeah sometimes i even wonder does he even know anything about box office ? he doesnt make sense...

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

Also why the hell disney gave a 200 mill budget for jungle cruise ? i havent seen the movie yet but couldnt they have a budget at like 90 mill like jumanji ?

Filming on water can get pretty costly. They also have a pretty massive port set which can boost up a film's budget quite a bit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

If this were Disney, they’d be shitting all over it.

Yeh ERC is irritating. Unfollowed them in 2016 I think lol. He/She always puts personal, and often just wrong, takes on the numbers. Yikes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm definitely sensing another global meltdown like what happened back in March of last year. The inexpensive and low-stakes films will likely stay where they are since their budgets are low enough that they won't be affected too much. The blockbusters on the other hand? Everyone except WB is vacating this year, methinks. Maybe Venom 2 goes to December, still coming out this year. It should appetize Spider-Man fans for now, since it's clear we won't be seeing or hearing anything from No Way Home anytime soon.

No.  This is absolutely not happening and there is zero evidence of it going to happen.  

22 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

ERC revealing itself to be handled by...:

tenor.gif?itemid=7334970

Bah gawd that's @CJohn's music!

• Haha 5
  • Astonished 1

In the last month, while the Delta variant has raged through the UK and now the United States, exactly ONE single wide release movie has changed its release date.  

That movie was the second fiddle dog related movie with an awful trailer and from the same studio.  

For everyone screaming everything is going to move, there are less films moving now than in normal non-pandemic conditions.  In fact, there have been at least a dozen wide release movies that have kicked off their fall marketing campaigns in the last week or so.

The made up nonsense of the mass exodus of films from the fall/winter calendar is something that exits only in people's imagination.  

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 9