Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

Hopefully Sony rethinks their strategy. I don't think Paramount or Universal have much more this year (besides Top Gun). 

Sony needs to move their movies. They have 4 heavy hitters between September and December. They can't burn them all. Top Gun should probably move as well. Everything else? Stay as is. 

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Poor Simu Liu and Shang-Chi , the way that movie is gonna be judged.

i have a gut feeling that it will suprise us both box office and reception wise, at the same time even pre covid there was always the chance that the movie would play more like antmans 1-2 than  guardians....

Well, great JC drop at least, both DOM and OS.

That sunday drop is not happening, actuals will be probably $ 16.1M or so.

54% drop is excellent, considering it's available to buy at home. This is probably heading to $ 110-120M DOM.

I'm really hoping Free Guy also overperform and open similar to JC to have a shot in +100M finish too. We need more movies hiting this milestone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Hopefully Sony rethinks their strategy. I don't think Paramount or Universal have much more this year (besides Top Gun). 

Sony needs to move their movies. They have 4 heavy hitters between September and December. They can't burn them all. Top Gun should probably move as well. Everything else? Stay as is. 

This troll is really awful at this point.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This is not it. :rant:

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Again, wake me when Venom 2 and No Time To Die tank.  Until then, none of this really means anything and there are a multitude of reasons something like The Suicide Squad didn't perform.  

Are you not interested in Marvels Shang Chi saving cinema and the 45 day window with its possible $20m opening?

• Haha 6
  • Knock It Off 1

4 minutes ago, john2000 said:

i have a gut feeling that it will suprise us both box office and reception wise, at the same time even pre covid there was always the chance that the movie would play more like antmans 1-2 than  guardians....

You better belive pitchforks will be out even if it performs like Ant Man.

Shang-Chi has an Asian lead , internet is very harsh to movies led by minority we all know it very well at this point. 

Edited by Madhuvan

Just now, Madhuvan said:

Shang-Chi has an Asian lead , internet is very harsh to movies lead by minority we all know it very well at this point. 

unfortunately some people are just....... they are not using their brains...

58 minutes ago, Movie nerd said:

Geez 26,6 mln $, it's really a legit bomb.

I know there are milions excuses etc, but there's no way to spin it as any kind of success. 

185 mln$ DC film directed by James Gun starring Margot Robbie, Idris Elba and John Cena with great critical reception on top of that oppend to only 3 (!) mln $ more than freaking Mortal Kombat film which also was R-rated, for free on HBO Max day and date and also opened in pandemic environment, even worse one than TSS had. This is as good comp as we can get. There’s no way to defend it.

It's a shame becouse film was actually pretty great. 

Margot Robbie is the only legit draw here.

John Cena wasn’t a draw even before his political comments on Taiwan; lol. I mean we know his buddies like Dwayne Johnson or Dave Bautista are probably bigger draws; heck - make it a Brock Lesnar film debut and it might have done better. (Since Brock is known for fighting a Shark anyways)

Apparently Sony now need to move their movies because the studios putting their movies on tv day and date are getting mixed results! Give me a break. 

F9 and AQP2 are the ones that have shown the light on what is likely to happen if people want to see a movie and theatrical is the only option.  This really isn’t rocket science. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Apparently Sony now need to move their movies because the studios putting their movies on tv day and date are getting mixed results! Give me a break. 

F9 and AQP2 are the ones that have shown the light on what is likely to happen if people want to see a movie and theatrical is the only option.  This really isn’t rocket science. 

That is probably the reason why they gross so close to the pre-pandemic expectation. 

• Like 1

I think people acting like "the world is ending everything is terrible all movies are going to move next week theaters are dying" should start to get threadbanned at least, if it happen more than once.

I get some is just trolling but this is becoming way more tiring than fun.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Shang-Chi has an Asian lead , internet is very harsh to movies led by minority we all know it very well at this point. 

The only other Asian led big budget Hollywood film this year was Snake Eyes; we all saw what happened there 😕

Edited by TigerPaw
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

The only other Asian led big budget Hollywood film this year was Snake Eyes; we all saw what happened there 😕

Marvel has much bigger reach than Snake Eyes.

Also, there is already lot of negativity around Shang-Chi for very weird reasons , less to do with the movie itself

• Like 1

If Shang Chi totally tanks and goes under 30m OW as an MCU movie with no day and date release or DC stink on it, I'll throw up my hands and join in with the delay crowd. Until then, Jungle Cruise and Free Guy and Respect and Candyman all gonna be pleasant surprises imo and nothing gonna move. In fact, I think that movie theaters seem safer to some people now than big crowded events given what we know about Delta.

• Like 5