Jump to content
Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well MCU never have one single movie hated by audiences.

 

Even your example BW have decent grades online and an A- on Cinemascore, which is totally acceptable.

 

No one saw Shang Chi but considering their universe expect it to be another generally well received entry is way more realistic than not.

 

Not sure whether the BW I saw was the same film you did; or the Facebook comments from the various pages I follow are the same as yours. Obviously the theater and people I went with to watch the film didn’t like it and I can personally attest to it being one of the weakest MCU film - you also know A- is merely acceptable even you as a MCU fan. If Shang Chi has this type of reception; I can only wish it good luck - it probably needs much better actual audience reaction and WoM than BW.

 

”expecting” something is not the same as “guaranteeing”. Someone just guaranteed that it will be a good film. Wow.

  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I am Indian. Although movie doesn't target my culture, I just feel very proud seeing Asian lead in my favorite franchise. 

LOL. I am speechless, as long as same continent I guess. Cheers. Happy for you; we should have more Chinese led films if it makes you happy.

 

Am sure you cheered for Snake Eyes as well; since it is headed by an Asian.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not sure whether the BW I saw was the same film you did; or the Facebook comments from the various pages I follow are the same as yours. Obviously the theater and people I went with to watch the film didn’t like it and I can personally attest to it being one of the weakest MCU film - you also know A- is merely acceptable even you as a MCU fan. If Shang Chi has this type of reception; I can only wish it good luck - it probably needs much better actual audience reaction and WoM than BW.

 

”expecting” something is not the same as “guaranteeing”. Someone just guaranteed that it will be a good film. Wow.

You do know very few Marvel films have A- or less. Probability is in favor of Shang-Chi and I am more inclined to belive that 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

LOL. I am speechless, as long as same continent I guess. Cheers. Happy for you; we should have more Chinese led films if it makes you happy.

 

Am sure you cheered for Snake Eyes as well; since it is headed by an Asian.

I did check it out. Didn't like it much hopefully Henry Golding gets better projects.

 

Plus , it's a Marvel movie so I feel more excited.

Edited by Madhuvan
Link to post
Share on other sites

The film that I'm having the easiest time adjusting to pre-pandemic expectations because I didn't have many questions about how it would have performed anyway (like all the releases this summer) is No Time To Die. A well-reviewed final Craig Bond with an Eilish theme and a hot cast would have gotten Logan numbers as my prediction (high 80s/220). It would have been a very safe bet to be a big hit. So if that flops, we can't possibly use the "this would have disappointed anyway!" line anymore like with Suicide Squad or Widow or Shang Chi. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Madhuvan said:

You do know very few Marvel films have A- or less. Probability is in favor of Shang-Chi and I am more inclined to belive that 

I realised I am being caught up with a few MCU fans who are very very defensive. Please sometimes re-read what you guys are saying.

 

come on I think The Eternals trailer was awesome and I paid for BW in IMAX here despite the piracy. I have nothing against you guys; just being very factual about what I feel about Shang Chi and also gathered thoughts from actual people (not just online). 
 

Don’t guarantee something when you have no evidence of it; yeah probability is one thing - but use words like “expecting” not “guaranteeing”.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

I did check it out. Didn't like it much hopefully Henry Golding gets better projects.

 

Plus , it's a Marvel movie so I feel more excited.

But then what I said about Tiger dads, dragons, Kungfu master - those stereotypes are probably not as relatable to you. So the representation for you may not necessarily be wanted representation from us.
 

So you really have to acknowledge that - Asia is big and we have many different cultures. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

I realised I am being caught up with a few MCU fans who are very very defensive. Please sometimes re-read what you guys are saying.

 

come on I think The Eternals trailer was awesome and I paid for BW in IMAX here despite the piracy. I have nothing against you guys; just being very factual about what I feel about Shang Chi and also gathered thoughts from actual people (not just online). 
 

Don’t guarantee something when you have no evidence of it; yeah probability is one thing - but use words like “expecting” not “guaranteeing”.

I remember we had heated argument on Shang-Chi thread also , guess I will leave this for time being. Peace out. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Not sure whether the BW I saw was the same film you did; or the Facebook comments from the various pages I follow are the same as yours. Obviously the theater and people I went with to watch the film didn’t like it and I can personally attest to it being one of the weakest MCU film 

 

3 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Don’t guarantee something when you have no evidence of it.

 
:Gaga:

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

If Shang Chi totally tanks and goes under 30m OW as an MCU movie with no day and date release or DC stink on it, I'll throw up my hands and join in with the delay crowd. Until then, Jungle Cruise and Free Guy and Respect and Candyman all gonna be pleasant surprises imo and nothing gonna move. In fact, I think that movie theaters seem safer to some people now than big crowded events given what we know about Delta.


Tired: “Movies will underperform because of COVID”

 

Wired: “Movies will underperform cuz the world is burning”

 

GIF by Identity

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Disappointing OW DOM for Gunn's Squad. Quality fun though lacks the heart, focus and charm of his Guardians films. Think he's better edited with a producer lingering over his shoulder than completely left to his own to do whatever the hell he wants. But, again, caught opening night and had a good time.

 

I'd rate it above Super but below Vol 1, Vol 2 and Slither of the studio stuff he's made that I've seen. Nice, fun combo of stuff like Guardians, Predator, Dirty Dozen and, actually, reminded me of the Kingsman movies a lot too. I'd say like all of those better aside from Kingsman 2... TSS definitely much, much better than that one. By the way, still hyped for that Kingsman prequel. When's that due out again?

 

TSS was pretty hard to sell given it's essentially a soft reboot with zero reference to the first one that I can recall. You could easily go in cold. Wouldn't matter in the least. Also, I do not think Harley's a good draw even though Robbie is great. First one really pushed Joker and Bats even though neither is in it much. And, of course, Will Smith... Still a legit draw. Elba is better for me but Smith is undebatable the much bigger draw. 

 

Without those those in the marketing at all, we saw what happened when a decent BoP flick was pretty much a dud at the BO but the budget wasn't nuts for BoP so not a huge loss. And, you know, available immediately to stream to for free to most as just about everyone I know shares an HBO account with like 5 or 6 people minimum. Passwords for that get handed out same or more often than Netflix.

 

Think, outside of GvK which might've been absolutely huge in normal times given how well it did in the setting it had deal with, the HBOMax/Warners setup hasn't been great. Even the Disney setup, while annoying as I'd rather just have had Cruella, BW, JC with the 45 day window, is more effective for box office returns. At least those got something from PA money plus subscriber fee unlike WB/HBO with just subscriber fee money.

 

Not to mention, Creulla had good legs. BW not so great legs but a strong OW and will finish around 190M DOM. JC looking like it can leg it out to something like 130M DOM which isn't terrible. While, SJ2 has had horrible legs looking like maybe 70M+ DOM. TSS will potentially have crap legs too because good/great WoM will just result in more streaming than cinema going so probably same or less than SJ2 DOM TOTAL for TSS. Not great.

 

Thinking Shang Chi sans D+ PA will do something like 40M+ OW. MCU has a built in crowd that will show up. If decent, could leg it out to 130M DOM.

 

I don't see much of anything moving. Delta should be much more under control in US by late September/early October if US continues to follow UK as it has been so far.

 

Matrix I guess makes the most sense because I don't even know if there's poster or proper title for that one yet. I'd be surprised/shocked if Venom, Bond, Eternals or, especially, Spidey moved. Spidey doesn't come out for 4+ months. Moving now seems pretty silly.

 

Eventually vaxed (hopefully most get this eventually) or unvaxed, we're all getting a Covid in one form or another. It's gonna be endemic. Vax does great minimizing symptoms to a range of nothing to mild for like 95%+ of people so everyone that can get it should get it. Spanish Flu and other pandemics lasted for a while but eventually weren't nearly as deadly over time then other flus, etc. took their place.

 

Looking forward to catching Jungle Cruise next weekend. I'm sure it's not great but I'm always game for a classic action adventure flick a la Indy, Mummy, Pirates, new Jumanji movies... Hell, even the Jolie Tomb Raiders are fun in a way even though they're kind of crap. It's kind of an underserved blockbuster genre with the superhero stuff so hopefully it's at least passable fun.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Just because you didn’t like Black Widow doesn’t mean everyone else felt the same. 
 

That’s interesting that no one at all in your screening liked the film. Hmm. Do you do your own Cinemascore on the way out? 

Nah; I mean you can hear people literally reviewing when exiting the theater; plus there are other signs right - like people using phone throughout the film. Not everything is to be done on pen and paper, there are body signals and some tell tale signs whether a film is enjoyable or not from audiences… my theater wasn’t packed, 12 of us at most in the theater - pretty obvious to me.


plus, strangers aside - i have spoken to so many friends who watched the film who were disappointed. Come on now, do you really think in your opinion - BW is not one of the lower tier MCU films? Even if we refer back to the A- score; it is one of the weaker ones among MCU films and I genuinely hope (not guaranteeing) that Shang Chi will be better.

 

If you tell me know Shang Chi will be BW’s quality (and not better) - I am giving it a misss

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

 

 
:Gaga:

?

A- Cinemscore, IMDB below 7 and RT score of 81% isn’t lower tier MCU?  and I personally watched the film; and I would never guarantee a film is good / bad until at least I myself watched it.

 

You obviously didn’t get my point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

Nah; I mean you can hear people literally reviewing when exiting the theater; plus there are other signs right - like people using phone throughout the film. Not everything is to be done on pen and paper, there are body signals and some tell tale signs whether a film is enjoyable or not from audiences… my theater wasn’t packed, 12 of us at most in the theater - pretty obvious to me.


plus, strangers aside - i have spoken to so many friends who watched the film who were disappointed. Come on now, do you really think in your opinion - BW is not one of the lower tier MCU films? Even if we refer back to the A- score; it is one of the weaker ones among MCU films and I genuinely hope (not guaranteeing) that Shang Chi will be better.


Everything you said is just anecdotal. 

 

You do realise that’s personal opinion, yeh?
 

I’m not a huge fan of Marvel films (usualy only watch them once at most), so Black Widow is actually my second favourite MCU film behind Avengers (2012). And that’s fine, because it’s about individual taste. :) 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TigerPaw said:

?

A- Cinemscore, IMDB below 7 and RT score of 81% isn’t lower tier MCU?  and I personally watched the film; and I would never guarantee a film is good / bad until at least I myself watched it.

 

You obviously didn’t get my point.

 

I was using your two posts against you, where you contradicted yourself. 
 

You shared lots of anecdotal information then said another user shouldn’t say things without evidence. Ha. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Any predictions for next weekend? 
 

Deadline referenced $19m for Free Guy. 
 

I think Respect and Don’t Breathe 2 could miss $10m. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.