Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

1 minute ago, Madhuvan said:

Plus , it's screening in CinemaCon. No chance of getting delayed

I think the chance always exist on this environment, but it does seems unlikely.

The only date they can delay without impact all the other MCU movies is somewhere on October, but then it's too close to Venom and Eternals.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Based on current presales I'd go with:

Free Guy: 27M

Respect: 13M

Don't Breathe: 8M

Pretty much exactly what I’m thinking. Free Guy is looking rather strong. Don’t Breathe is DOA.

29 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Any predictions for next weekend? 

Deadline referenced $19m for Free Guy. 

I think Respect and Don’t Breathe 2 could miss $10m. 

7M for Don't Breathe, 10M for Respect, 17M for Free Guy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

The premiere is on August 16 and they can't delay without changing their whole schedule, so i think it will stay in that date.

I can see they adding the PA option tho.

yep. It’s playing at CinemaCon as well. There’s no way it’s getting moved, and why would it? I think they’ll go without PA. They’ve already said to theaters that’s what they’re going to do. 

Again, this whole ‘Shang Chi might move’ rhetoric is coming from those perceiving the performance of a day and date HBO Max release as the dictator of decision making for studios. It’s laughable. 

Disney literally have a movie that came out a week ago on its way to $130 million domestic, WITH Premium Access. Why is TSS going to get them to move when that’s a completely different model than their’s?

Its more likely they’re sat there tonight thinking “thank god we didn’t follow WB’s HBO Max for free debacle”.

Further to that, we have no idea how integral Shang-Chi is to the order of what’s coming in the MCU both on film and on tv. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Disappointing OW DOM for Gunn's Squad. Quality fun though lacks the heart, focus and charm of his Guardians films. Think he's better edited with a producer lingering over his shoulder than completely left to his own to do whatever the hell he wants. But, again, caught opening night and had a good time.

I'd rate it above Super but below Vol 1, Vol 2 and Slither of the studio stuff he's made that I've seen. Nice, fun combo of stuff like Guardians, Predator, Dirty Dozen and, actually, reminded me of the Kingsman movies a lot too. I'd say like all of those better aside from Kingsman 2... TSS definitely much, much better than that one. By the way, still hyped for that Kingsman prequel. When's that due out again?

TSS was pretty hard to sell given it's essentially a soft reboot with zero reference to the first one that I can recall. You could easily go in cold. Wouldn't matter in the least. Also, I do not think Harley's a good draw even though Robbie is great. First one really pushed Joker and Bats even though neither is in it much. And, of course, Will Smith... Still a legit draw. Elba is better for me but Smith is undebatable the much bigger draw. 

Without those those in the marketing at all, we saw what happened when a decent BoP flick was pretty much a dud at the BO but the budget wasn't nuts for BoP so not a huge loss. And, you know, available immediately to stream to for free to most as just about everyone I know shares an HBO account with like 5 or 6 people minimum. Passwords for that get handed out same or more often than Netflix.

Think, outside of GvK which might've been absolutely huge in normal times given how well it did in the setting it had deal with, the HBOMax/Warners setup hasn't been great. Even the Disney setup, while annoying as I'd rather just have had Cruella, BW, JC with the 45 day window, is more effective for box office returns. At least those got something from PA money plus subscriber fee unlike WB/HBO with just subscriber fee money.

Not to mention, Creulla had good legs. BW not so great legs but a strong OW and will finish around 190M DOM. JC looking like it can leg it out to something like 130M DOM which isn't terrible. While, SJ2 has had horrible legs looking like maybe 70M+ DOM. TSS will potentially have crap legs too because good/great WoM will just result in more streaming than cinema going so probably same or less than SJ2 DOM TOTAL for TSS. Not great.

Thinking Shang Chi sans D+ PA will do something like 40M+ OW. MCU has a built in crowd that will show up. If decent, could leg it out to 130M DOM.

I don't see much of anything moving. Delta should be much more under control in US by late September/early October if US continues to follow UK as it has been so far.

Matrix I guess makes the most sense because I don't even know if there's poster or proper title for that one yet. I'd be surprised/shocked if Venom, Bond, Eternals or, especially, Spidey moved. Spidey doesn't come out for 4+ months. Moving now seems pretty silly.

Eventually vaxed (hopefully most get this eventually) or unvaxed, we're all getting a Covid in one form or another. It's gonna be endemic. Vax does great minimizing symptoms to a range of nothing to mild for like 95%+ of people so everyone that can get it should get it. Spanish Flu and other pandemics lasted for a while but eventually weren't nearly as deadly over time then other flus, etc. took their place.

Looking forward to catching Jungle Cruise next weekend. I'm sure it's not great but I'm always game for a classic action adventure flick a la Indy, Mummy, Pirates, new Jumanji movies... Hell, even the Jolie Tomb Raiders are fun in a way even though they're kind of crap. It's kind of an underserved blockbuster genre with the superhero stuff so hopefully it's at least passable fun.

130m(3.7x) for JC is a little optimistic considering it had 55% drop . Cruella had a drop of around 48%

More like 115-120m(3.3-3.4x)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

“Second most”

What was number 1 ?

Could it be Wonder Woman holiday release (talk of  around 15M views at the time), depending of what they call weekend in that case ?

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-nielsen-top-10-1234895616/

Significantly bigger movie with less theater open on Holiday.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Continuation

You ruined the suspense for me:)...although how on earth did they continue from that movie?  You know what - don't answer that:)...

Although, I can see that would be James Gunn's 1st mistake and why those in the "elder range" might be coming down harder on the movie...it's very rare you can continue a series and totally change the tone (ala Thor 2 to Thor 3) and not have it drag on both sides of folks' opinions (Thor 3 had an Avengers movie to change the Thor tone...I'm not thinking Birds of Prey served that role well)...

Should have gone the full obvious reboot route, and sung that to the world..."this movie is not like the last, no seriously, this movie is nothing like the last"...that said, hope I like it Tuesday, but I am bringing a "youngin" to see if they like it more than me, the more elder folk:)...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

The only other Asian led big budget Hollywood film this year was Snake Eyes; we all saw what happened there 😕

But that was a seriously not good movie with the lead as the biggest drag on the film...

I mean, if that's Shang Chi, too, okay, but I gotta think Kevin at least has some standards for the Marvel brand...

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Could it be Wonder Woman holiday release (talk of  around 15M views at the time), depending of what they call weekend in that case ?

https://variety.com/2021/digital/news/wonder-woman-1984-hbo-max-nielsen-top-10-1234895616/

Significantly bigger movie with less theater open on Holiday.

Mortal Kombat is number 1

• Astonished 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Any predictions for next weekend? 

Deadline referenced $19m for Free Guy. 

I think Respect and Don’t Breathe 2 could miss $10m. 

If you've been to movies, Free Guy is the damn ad for the movie going experience on every movie (you don't a trailer, but you get Free Guy doing stuff).  Of those showing up to theaters, its awareness must be through the roof.  

I think/hope $19M is a lowball, b/c I could see this in the high $20s, over this TSS open...if it's not, I'll be sad - not surprised, but sad...which I'm not for TSS, b/c I've thought this movie has been a mess as far as advertising and awareness of what it is, and if you can't tell me why I should go, why should I go, unless I get a cheap ticket (which I did...but not cheap enough for weekend viewing:)...