Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

You ruined the suspense for me:)...although how on earth did they continue from that movie?  You know what - don't answer that:)...

Although, I can see that would be James Gunn's 1st mistake and why those in the "elder range" might be coming down harder on the movie...it's very rare you can continue a series and totally change the tone (ala Thor 2 to Thor 3) and not have it drag on both sides of folks' opinions (Thor 3 had an Avengers movie to change the Thor tone...I'm not thinking Birds of Prey served that role well)...

Should have gone the full obvious reboot route, and sung that to the world..."this movie is not like the last, no seriously, this movie is nothing like the last"...that said, hope I like it Tuesday, but I am bringing a "youngin" to see if they like it more than me, the more elder folk:)...

You can definitely go into Gunn's SS cold. Completely cold. Feels like soft or straight outright reboot rather than a continuation if it is, I guess, a very loose continuation from the last one. You don't even have to know the first one existed. It's not the like the Thor series or any other like example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WrathOfHan said:

Based on current presales I'd go with:

Free Guy: 27M

Respect: 13M

Don't Breathe: 8M

Did a quick glance at Thursday shows here in Philly and I could sadly see Respect going sub-10M. It sales are about on par with Don't Breathe here at this stage, and that's a warning sign to me as Black-led movies overindex here. Obviously I know that the audience demographics are different and that Don't Breathe will likely have bigger previews anyways and that Respect isn't presales-driven, has that early screening today, etc.

However, it did cause me to pause a little bit.

• Like 2

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Pretty sure it's GvK. Samba TV said MK is their biggest, not WB themselves.

I literally just saw Hollywood Reporter refresh their article to add two lines mentioning it wasn't HBO saying MK was number 1.

Not before other outlets picked up the story and ran it as gospel.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DlAMONDZ said:

How long until Warner puts out a press release saying TSS was the biggest thing since Endgame on HBO Max?

They already did. Second highest viewed film on hbo max! It’s like mate, it lost to mortal Kombat. So less than 4 million people viewed it over the weekend and your service has over 40 million people. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Did a quick glance at Thursday shows here in Philly and I could sadly see Respect going sub-10M. It sales are about on par with Don't Breathe here at this stage, and that's a warning sign to me as Black-led movies overindex here. Obviously I know that the audience demographics are different and that Don't Breathe will likely have bigger previews anyways and that Respect isn't presales-driven, has that early screening today, etc.

Aretha Franklin is having her Steve Jobs moment. Hollywood rushed out 2 back to back biopics once they died and nobody really cared about either of them.

1 minute ago, TheCinephile said:

They already did. Second highest viewed film on hbo max! It’s like mate, it lost to mortal Kombat. So less than 4 million people viewed it over the weekend and your service has over 40 million people. 

HBO Max sub count is weird. It includes people that have subbed to HBO since the 80s. I think they've stopped telling us how many people have activated their Max accounts.

1 minute ago, AJG said:

Aretha Franklin is having her Steve Jobs moment. Hollywood rushed out 2 back to back biopics once they died and nobody really cared about either of them.

What's the other one? I thought they were just doing the Jennifer Hudson film

4 minutes ago, Star-Lord said:

What was the initial projected BO take on TSS to begin with? $35m?

Two weeks ago boxofficepro had a 35-60M forecast. It was perfectly reasonable at the time — to anyone who wasn’t plugged in to the sales. 

Before ticket sales began I’d say probably 40-70 was the general range.

Edited by Lokis Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm pretty sure their biggest movie is still WW84, which is also still the best opening ever for a movie on Nielsen.

SambaTV have a really poor data and counts just specific devices, i wouldn't take that very seriously

Not according to Andy Forsell: https://deadline.com/2021/04/godzilla-vs-kong-hbo-max-viewers-weekend-box-office-1234727926/

WarnerMedia Direct-to-Consumer EVP and General Manager Andy Forssell that the movie “had a larger viewing audience than any other film or show on HBO Max since launch.”

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cax16 said:

They said "sources tell MK is the biggest", they don't know. And i bet their source is SambaTV.

Nobody knows how exactly is HBO numbers, only when Warner tell it. They give the WW84 record breaker number for Nielsen report, if something surpass that i'm sure they would did the same.

3 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

What's the other one? I thought they were just doing the Jennifer Hudson film

genius-aretha.jpg

It was a Disney+ Original outside the US. I have never heard a word about it.

3 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

They said "sources tell MK is the biggest", they don't know. And i bet their source is SambaTV.

Nobody knows how exactly is HBO numbers, only when Warner tell it. They give the WW84 record breaker number for Nielsen report, if something surpass that i'm sure they would did the same.

You’re right, we have nothing official from WB about MK so I have no idea. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if WW84 was the biggest still cause of when it dropped. 

The problem is everyone quotes samba now everywhere lol, I have I idea how accurate they are or aren’t.

Edited by cax16

17 minutes ago, Eric Quinn said:

Agreed. Its literally only sold two tickets at my hometown Cinemark, whereas Don't Breathe 2 and Free Guy have sold nearly two dozen tickets at this point – almost neck-and-neck with each other, actually. And Respect has nearly twice the amount of seats across all of its showings, too. It has a Fathom Event Q&A livestream event on Thursday evening that hasn't sold anything yet. I expect sales will pick up significantly in the coming days, but like you said, I'm predicting sub-$10 mil for it.

Nielsen also is not as perfect as some believe.

"Nielsen’s estimates are extrapolated based on viewing data on connected TVs, excluding mobile devices and computers, pulled from Nielsen’s national TV panel."