Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

4 minutes ago, imbruglia said:

Nielsen also is not as perfect as some believe.

"Nielsen’s estimates are extrapolated based on viewing data on connected TVs, excluding mobile devices and computers, pulled from Nielsen’s national TV panel."

Nielsen is Nielsen. Damn near an authority on this.

Netflix have also backed up a report from Nielsen regarding streaming hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I'm pretty sure their biggest movie is still WW84, which is also still the best opening ever for a movie on Nielsen.

SambaTV have a really poor data and counts just specific devices, i wouldn't take that very seriously

Seriously. The people that treat SambaTV as gospel are nauseating 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

I'm sure WW1984 is not #1 movie on HBO Max. if it's not MK, then Godzilla vs Kong.

Why not? WW84 released at a much worse time than those others and there was less opportunity to go to the cinema. Plus, WW84 had the biggest first week Neilsen views (from the ones available).  

• Like 1

Does WB plan to never make any sequels to the Wonder Woman, Godzilla, Kong, Mortal Kombat, Suicide Squad, Space Jam, Conjuring and soon Dune and Matrix? What is the idea behind all of this? Burn through as many franchises as possible?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Does WB plan to never make any sequels to the Wonder Woman, Godzilla, Kong, Mortal Kombat, Suicide Squad, Space Jam, Conjuring and soon Dune and Matrix? What is the idea behind all of this? Burn through as many franchises as possible?

Jason Kilar didn't, but maybe Discovery will now that sensible leadership will be taking the reins. 

15 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Space Jam will either be another 15-25 years or another sport...it's just the way that franchise will be...

Godzilla v Kong did "Covid great" so they will both get eventual further movies, although after the big one, it will probably be a few years...

Wonder Woman will get rehabbed in another character's movie, so she'll keep getting films, although Patty, if she comes back, may get helped with endings for her movies...

When has a video game movie ever done well enough for immediate sequels?  Hi, Detective Pikachu...

Suicide Squad needed to be shelved before it was made this time...so no big deal...

Conjuring has also done "Covid great" for its budget, so expect another movie soon...

And I can't comment on Dune or Matrix b/c I hated the 1st Dune and the Dune books, so the fact it's remade is amazing to me...and The Matrix is unremakable, especially after 2 terrible sequels to a Top 100 movie...

And all of this has made HBO Max an almost equal player with D+...and that was the goal for 2021, and it has succeeded...there are only a few channels which will succeed and it's all jockeying for the next few years right now...Paramount + and Peacock wish that they were in the same positions...and Quibi, now that was the one that showed you just have to spin up or spin out of business right now...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Jason Kilar didn't, but maybe Discovery will now that sensible leadership will be taking the reins. 

Some of those seem impossible to save, but they are not only wasting strong brands but also forcing themselves to recast these characters in future movies, when it all cases they already have fantastic casts. It is absolutely insane to me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I’ve seen what they’ve turned the Discovery Channel and brand into. I don’t think WarnerMedia’s current trajectory is changing any time soon.

• Haha 1

Ehh, I feel like Mortal Kombat and Suicide Squad are the only franchises that will be discarded, and even then Peacemaker's in the can and is probably cheaper than most superhero shows to justify an extra season or two. I'm sure Margot will also finagle her way somewhere into a DC project. Likewise, Gal will definitely push a Wonder Woman 3 or just pop up in another hero's movie. No matter what you will say about 1984, the character and Gadot's performance is still iconic to earn some more chances. 

We'll probably get some sort of Monsterverse follow-up, and they set King Kong to have a return in the ending to GvK. Conjuring movies are cheap enough to still make movies and spin-offs out of them. We got a new Looney Tunes show when HBO Max first dropped and I'm sure we'll keep getting Looney Tunes shorts or character-focused spinoffs. And unless Dune is the megabomb of the century (and regardless of what some of you weirdos think, that will not be the case), we're getting that Dune TV show. Matrix might be dependent on whether Lana Wachowski wants to do more, but you never know.

It's really not gonna be as bad as people are making it out to be.

• Like 3

I'm surprised more people haven't been talking about Conjuring 3's performance. That international gross is impressive (I think it's the 4th highest OS-China gross of the year). I thought it was mediocre but the franchise clearly has not run out of steam yet. Quite easily WB's most reliable money-maker atm.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To me, all these 47 pages have shown is that we really don’t know anything about any of this. Maybe WB doesn’t even know. But we’re making guesses upon guesses upon guesses and all of it slanted and tinted by our own opinions about this franchise or that. It seems absurd to claim any sort of defining statement. 

Edited by Plain Old Tele
  • Like 10