Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

3 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

To me, all these 47 pages have shown is that we really don’t know anything about any of this. Maybe WB doesn’t even know. But we’re making guesses upon guesses upon guesses and all of it slanted and tinted by our own opinions about this franchise or that. It seems absurd to claim any sort of defining statement. 

They've been really strange when it comes to announcing streaming numbers.

Remember when they came out and said nobody bothered to stream In The Heights when it flopped OW?

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, AJG said:

Remember when they came out and said nobody bothered to stream In The Heights when it flopped OW?

it was a very odd way to defend their release strategy. Like people were blaming HBO max for the shitty box office and they felt like they had to say "NUH-UH IT'S NOT HBO'S FAULT IT FLOPPED EVERYWHERE!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I’m surprised they’ve put Respect in the middle of August. It screams Christmas to me. Nice limited run in LA and NY, before a wide release for Christmas…playing right through awards season. 

The older audience that theaters are struggling to bring out at the moment are its target audience. I don’t expect them to come out particularly. Hope I’m wrong as this looks unmissable. 

Free Guy - I think it’ll over perform. Reynolds comedy with lots of CG and pop culture references - crowds usually lap that stuff up. 

I didn’t like the trailer much and am usually mixed on Reynolds, but I’ll check it out for sure. Mainly due to the reviews being very solid.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

I’m surprised they’ve put Respect in the middle of August. It screams Christmas to me. Nice limited run in LA and NY, before a wide release for Christmas…playing right through awards season. 

The older audience that theaters are struggling to bring out at the moment are its target audience. I don’t expect them to come out particularly. Hope I’m wrong as this looks unmissable. 

Free Guy - I think it’ll over perform. Reynolds comedy with lots of CG and pop culture references - crowds usually lap that stuff up. 

I didn’t like the trailer much and am usually mixed on Reynolds, but I’ll check it out for sure. Mainly due to the reviews being very solid.  

FG (well in our pre-plague world) screamed like a good high concept vehicle for him, like “yeah I could see normies wanting to see this beyond just gamers.” whether they’ll soldier out to theaters for this remains to be seen.

8 minutes ago, RRA said:

FG (well in our pre-plague world) screamed like a good high concept vehicle for him, like “yeah I could see normies wanting to see this beyond just gamers.” whether they’ll soldier out to theaters for this remains to be seen.

It’ll be interesting for sure. At least it’s a high concept, big budget movie that they can’t watch at home. That’s got to count for something! 

40 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Respect follows other August counter programmers like Straight Outta Compton, The Help, Black Klansman, Get On Up, The Butler 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

I’d expect the four weekends worst affected by delta to be Aug 13, Aug 20, Aug 27, and Sep 3. Not great timing for Disney’s attempts back to theatrical exclusivity :hahaha:

Yeah these are going to be brutal. August 20th especially. It’s probably too late for Shang-Chi to move but maybe a month of dead space will actually work in its favor since it’s next big move. 

I still say under 30 for Free Guy (26-30m) but maybe Candyman can surprise soon. Paw Patrol about to win the 20th

7 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

let’s be honest here if it wasn’t part of the MCU; many people here would not have been so lenient on the trailers and advocating it so much. It would have flopped more than Snake Eyes if it wasn’t part of the MCU

Ofcourse. It's MCU that is being sold. Same was case for BW. Remove MCU branding, BW would have opened low 10s.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AJG said:

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

it was a very odd way to defend their release strategy. Like people were blaming HBO max for the shitty box office and they felt like they had to say "NUH-UH IT'S NOT HBO'S FAULT IT FLOPPED EVERYWHERE!"

Right? It was so weird how WB threw In the Heights under the bus like that, but maybe they were just too bitter about all the money they spent ($50m on the rights, $55m budget, plus P&A) and kind of hit in the face with what an obviously poor decision it was in hindsight. Like, spending $185m on The Suicide Squad may not have been the greatest idea, either, but at least the first one made $746m...

1 hour ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Respect follows other August counter programmers like Straight Outta Compton, The Help, Black Klansman, Get On Up, The Butler 

Yea its usually a good date, but the older demos are not coming out right now. So i dont expect great numbers. 

32 minutes ago, babz06 said:

Yea its usually a good date, but the older demos are not coming out right now. So i dont expect great numbers. 

I wouldn't expect any "adult" film doing well until Gucci. Not until Delta cases decrease or we implement some Vaccine passport. They're a big demo clearly disinterested in current programming and attending the theater for time being. Probably 25-35m total for this? Normally it would be double that with this date

I have a hard time seeing Delta impacting that much at least for now when pretty much all the holdovers this weekend did fine.

I suspect if the problem is generalized like Delta, it will impact hard on all movies, not only TSS opening.

I do think it have some impact but nothing remarcable for now, let's see the next weeks.

For Shang Chi i think if they delay, it will be for 2 or 3 weeks only, i don't know if they want to messed up their whole schedule again for a smaller movie.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Eles disseram que "fontes dizem que MK é o maior", eles não sabem. E aposto que a fonte deles é o SambaTV.

Ninguém sabe exatamente como são os números da HBO, só quando a Warner diz. Eles dão o número de quebra de recorde da WW84 para o relatório Nielsen, se algo superar que eu tenho certeza que eles fariam o mesmo.

Acho que eles só divulgaram os números de WW84 pq foi muito auge, igual a Disney fez com BW no PA

Nenhum estúdio (WB/Disney) está revelando os números dos filmes em seus serviços de streaming, ele só ficam dizendo que o novo lançamento superou o anterior, mas sem divulgar nenhum numero. 

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Out of curiosity, of the two Ridley Scott movies this year, what are y’alls predictions for them?

Gucci will cross 75 million domestic. 150 million worldwide. Cases should be down by then. 

The Last Duel is tough subject matter. 50 million domestic and over 100 million worldwide? I don’t know haha. 

• Like 1

Gucci will have at least a great opening, I’m sure of it. True crime + A-list cast + splashy trailers. The rest depends on how good it actually is, but the opening will be solid.

Last Duel needs actually great reviews. It lacks the splashy marketing and premise of Gucci. Maybe like 50m but could also see a complete floppage of like 25m. I’d say 40m. Other comparable Ridley movies (Exodus-24m/65m. Kingdom of Heaven-19m/47m). 

• Like 1