Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

Honestly I'm not sure the HBO Max release strategy was dumb. In fact I think it may even be better than the Disney+ Premier Access. It gave a boost to HBO Max subscribers, and the company is going to end the year making $2 billion more in subscription revenue than they've made in 2020. We'll have to wait and see but I suspect when all is said and done it will have been a good gamble for WB financially. Not to mention the long term gains, who knows if the millions of subscribers they got from the 2021 slate won't stay around after that benefit is gone? People will still get the WB movies after 45 days of the theatrical release, a strategy that seems to have been successful for A Quiet Place II (it did very well on Paramount+ according to the Samba TV reports while not affecting box office numbers at all). The benefits Disney got from their strategy seems much more ephemeral to me. :ph34r:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lokis Legion said:

We are pretty much locked to hit this, I think? If you were extremely pessimistic you could observe that 6.7M True Fri, with BW’s true sat drop and a -27% Sun would miss.    

But I’d go for more like 7.2-6.7-5 for 23M

Why would sat stay flat from true Friday . Most of the hbo releases have opened on a Friday . Wont TSS having thursday previews giving a casual weekend behavior .yeah of course it won't have our standard increases . But think sat can have an increase or I'm I missing something genuine question?

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Dune is not moving to 2022 no matter what happen, it's going to premiere in less than a month and they are focused on awards.

And honestly, they can delay Matrix but even that I'm not betting. I think people really overestimate how worried Warner is about losing money with this strategy, they always knew this was going to happen and they don't care because they are focusing on their platform which increased a lot.

Everything we are seeing now they knew last December when they make the decision.

Yeah one silver lining is that HBO Max is becoming very big with every release 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Liiviig 1998 said:

Why would sat stay flat from true Friday . Most of the hbo releases have opened on a Friday . Wont TSS having thursday previews giving a casual weekend behavior .yeah of course it won't have our standard increases . But think sat can have an increase or I'm I missing something genuine question?

Well it’s hard to know for sure since it is the first Max release with Thursday previews. But I’m definitely expecting it to drop Saturday based on sales and the recent history of opening Saturday’s for fan driven and/or streaming releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

And to say both have around same budget.

Suicide Squad is doing horrible if it comes under 30m but people won't accept that. 

Doesn't matter if it's R rated or not. Opening below Jungle Cruise is bad in every way possible. 

At least Disney make money from PA. WB have just dumped their movies online.

Also HBO Max does not need these WB films day and date. The app's content is already great and its always expanding. It seems really short sighted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Yeah one silver lining is that HBO Max is becoming very big with every release 

And if they really want it to give up of the strategy they would do it by now.

They are seeing good results on box office since march, especially in May-June. If they're worried about how much money they are losing with HBO Max releases we wouldn't be in August still getting 200M movies the same way.

They don't care and like i said, probably because they always expect things to be this way.

• Like 1

WB has lost a billion dollars. Subscriptions cannot salvage the damage done here. Theaters being deprived of additional revenue is the real killer here 

Dune will stay. It cannot move again. It’s playing Venice and supposedly TIFF. They will just accept the loss and decide where to go from there.

Matrix… maybe? The possibility of Spider-Man and Matrix both vacating makes Christmas bleak. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

And if they really want it to give up of the strategy they would do it by now.

They are seeing good results on box office since march, especially in May-June. If they're worried about how much money they are losing with HBO Max releases we wouldn't be in August still getting 200M movies the same way.

They don't care and like i said, probably because they always expect things to be this way.

They don't care? Ummm...? Warner Media is being traded again soon

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

*sigh* I guess y’all are right about Dune. I just want it to make as much $$$ as it can because I want a franchise

It's already tanked and will be outgrossed by Valerian. Accept this truth and move on.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, YSLDC said:

They don't care? Ummm...? Warner Media is being traded again soon

Movies aren't the biggest thing on their conglomerate. And certainly not the worst department either considering they have some "successful" movies this year despite day and date releases.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

*sigh* I guess y’all are right about Dune. I just want it to make as much $$$ as it can because I want a franchise

Don't worry it can open with 25M and i'm sure the entire media will call it a success because of the Delta and HBO Max release.

To be honest i think this sequel is almost guaranteed at this point, Villeneuve riot about HBO Max last year and now not only he is quiet about the movie confirmed to follow the path but he was recently announced as director of some episode of the TV Series for the platform. Seems like they're in good terms.

And WB already know all their movies did way less than it could pre pandemic, there's 0 reason to expect something different from Dune.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Movies aren't the biggest thing on their conglomerate. And certainly not the worst department either considering they have some "successful" movies this year despite day and date releases.

Sure, in normal times. But because of Covid and lack on content for a normal rollout, these movies became the main focus for HBO Max pipeline. If AT&T is jumping ship those movies didn't help. 

Edited by YSLDC

15 minutos atrás, ThomasNicole disse:

Dune não vai para 2022 não importa o que aconteça, vai estrear em menos de um mês e eles estão focados em prêmios.

E honestamente, eles podem atrasar Matrix, mas mesmo que eu não esteja apostando. Eu acho que as pessoas realmente superestimam o quão preocupada warner está sobre perder dinheiro com essa estratégia, eles sempre sabiam que isso ia acontecer e eles não se importam porque eles estão focando em sua plataforma que aumentou muito.

Tudo o que estamos vendo agora eles sabiam em dezembro passado quando tomaram a decisão.

The only business important to them at the moment: 

Imagem

1 hour ago, grey ghost said:

BW got dragged for "only" hitting 80m OW.

Lots of rants against Disney for killing cinemas too.

What a difference a month makes.

What a difference a major new Covid outbreak makes.....

2 minutes ago, dudalb said:

What a difference a major new Covid outbreak makes.....

I mean yeah you can certainly see its impact on jungle cruise or the holdovers and also its not like things were worse during MK or GvK oh wait.......joke aside covid certainly affected things buts its not the main reason.....not at all

Edited by john2000
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Any idea how Annette is looking this weekend? Idk how wide Amazon pushed it. My PA art house has about 8 total tickets between 3 shows sold today. 

As far as I can tell, the theatrical distribution for the film seems pretty dire. Amazon has always been terrible at distributing their films theatrically.