Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

19 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I said in the movie thread tham i was sure this will be a success, if not in theaters, on HBO Max.

It's sad seing people deciding to watch it at home instead, but maybe this is because of the bad taste 2016 SS left.

At least this movie will rebuilt the image of this franchise, and should be massive on streaming based on it's first hours.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I said in the movie thread tham i was sure this will be a success, if not in theaters, on HBO Max.

To be honest HBO Max success means nothing even to WB. Mortal Kombat was a giant success on HBO Max, it overperfomed even Godzilla vs Kong, like #1 movie of the service if stats are correct, but there's no news about sequel at all because it did just 83 mln at box office. Which is funny because WB killed box office of its films with streaming release, but at the same still measures a real success by box office, big brain logic right here.

So basically if you watch Dune on HBO Max instead of theaters, you literally kill its sequel.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 1

I’ll wait to see Samba numbers Monday or whatever, I’d like to see how it compares to the other movies. I think so far Mk has been the biggest movie on there with 3.8m over the first 5 days, I was shocked to see it beat GvK. 

3 minutes ago, Firepower said:

To be honest HBO Max success means nothing even to WB. Mortal Kombat was a giant success on HBO Max, it overperfomed even Godzilla vs Kong, like #1 movie of the service if stats are correct, but there's no news about sequel at all because it did just 83 mln at box office. Which is funny because WB killed box office of its films with streaming release, but at the same still measures a real success by box office, big brain logic right here.

So basically if you watch Dune on HBO Max instead of theaters, you literally kill its sequel.

I don't know, MK seems to be very disliked despite the success on HBO Max.

Maybe that's why they're not talking about a sequel.

• Like 1

I don't trust Samba stats of MK being the biggest HBO Max film. Maybe that was because of subscriber growth. GvK seemed to have more buzz and interest by far.  

Also I guess we're not getting Deadline early Fri #s. Maybe WB embargoed the Comscore gross at a high enough level so that even their source can't see it. 

Edited by Menor

30 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I’ll wait to see Samba numbers Monday or whatever, I’d like to see how it compares to the other movies. I think so far Mk has been the biggest movie on there with 3.8m over the first 5 days, I was shocked to see it beat GvK. 

I wasn’t surprised. GvK as a spectacle screamed like something people had to see on the big screen. MK didn’t. 

this is why I squirm when people pimp streaming numbers, Max or PA. So much of that is lost dollars/views that would’ve gone into ticket buys. 

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

I don't trust Samba stats of MK being the biggest HBO Max film. Maybe that was because of subscriber growth. GvK seemed to have more buzz and interest by far.  

Also I guess we're not getting Deadline early Fri #s. Maybe WB embargoed the Comscore gross at a high enough level so that even their source can't see it. 

They still have sources that can see things I’m sure. My guess is numbers would lead to a low headline so they’d rather wait and see if it turns around at night.

1 minute ago, RRA said:

I wasn’t surprised. GvK as a spectacle screamed like something people had to see on the big screen. MK didn’t. 

this is why I squirm when people pimp streaming numbers, Max or PA. So much of that is lost dollars/views that would’ve gone into ticket buys. 

That’s a good point, I guess MK was kinda that throw away movie you watch that comes out on Netflix every few weeks but not something you need to see in a theatre.

31 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

I don't know, MK seems to be very disliked despite the success on HBO Max.

Maybe that's why they're not talking about a sequel.

If it made enough money or considered enough of a success, a sequel would probably happen. It’s a business run on profit, not on IMDB scores.  

of course this goes into the problem with streaming: what is the metric for “success” on streaming? Box office it’s obviously easier Metric to digest but what is “profit” for streaming outside of scoring more/keeping subscribers? It’s a grey area. 

15 minutes ago, cax16 said:

That’s a good point, I guess MK was kinda that throw away movie you watch that comes out on Netflix every few weeks but not something you need to see in a theatre.

I think of the new Space Jam, which I watched on Max (which as a subscriber, they already have my $15 something) but it's not something I would've bothered to watch in theaters. 

• Like 2