Borobudur

The Suicide Squad Weekend Thread: 26.6M Opening Weekend, 35M OS | Jungle Cruise 15.7 (-55%), Old 4.1 (-40%), Widow 4 (-38%), Stillwater 2.9 (-45%)

22 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

They still have sources that can see things I’m sure. My guess is numbers would lead to a low headline so they’d rather wait and see if it turns around at night.

That would be odd to me (or maybe my definition of "low" is different from theirs). Judging from MTC2 the pace seems decent enough (I will update in tracking thread once the full run is done). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wildphantom said:

No, they do care - but they’d already committed. 

The moment they told subscribers to join as they could watch all 2022’s movies on there - game over. There’s no way they could walk that back and not have a huge fallout. 

I mean they've already financially compensated talents and their backend deals. Have they committed to anything else this year after Dune though? I don't remember. 

9 minutes ago, RRA said:

If it made enough money or considered enough of a success, a sequel would probably happen. It’s a business run on profit, not on IMDB scores.  

of course this goes into the problem with streaming: what is the metric for “success” on streaming? Box office it’s obviously easier Metric to digest but what is “profit” for streaming outside of scoring more/keeping subscribers? It’s a grey area. 

For the first part, the big issue with Mortal Kombat, outside of being dreadful (honestly up there with Coming 2 America as one of the worst movies of the year, though I'll admit I haven't bothered with most of the year's dreck), it only really appealed to folks who were already fans of the franchise, as seen by its legs and poor non-fan reception. I mean even fans thought the movie kinda sucked. And I'm sure despite the strong initial viewings on HBO Max, I doubt Mortal Kombat held up well enough, critically or financially, to make Warner think it was worth even doing a TV show spin-off. Movies like Mortal Kombat exist to excite new audiences into a series. If it doesn't, and fans already don't care for it, why pursue any further when you have better options?

As for the second part, streaming movies don't really make profit. They are made at a loss, but the idea is that these movies either excite people to get a subscription or keep current subscribers engaged and invested in the service. All the while, subscription revenue basically "pays" for the film's budget. Of course, streaming services take a while to actually make a profit because of all the original content they make each year (Netflix only just started turning a profit entirely thanks to COVID shutdowns), but this is a long-term game that reaps benefits once it does. If you're talking specific revenue or profits made for one movie, there's also toy sales, DVDs, digital purchases or rentals, cable airings, etc. This isn't really seen with Netflix or Amazon (the DVDs for stuff like House of Cards or Fuller House are produced by their production studios), but Disney and Warner have their own home entertainment and merchandising divisions, which is why Soul and Luca are now on 4K Blu-Ray. I'm sure they'll also pop up on Disney Channel or Freeform in the coming years too.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

That would be odd to me (or maybe my definition of "low" is different from theirs). Judging from MTC2 the pace seems decent enough (I will update in tracking thread once the full run is done). 

I don't want to annoy you but because I'm getting tired (although we have a Skype night here so it doesn't matter too much) and mainly because I'm not used to that: In ca. how many hours would that be?

20 minutes ago, el sid said:

I don't want to annoy you but because I'm getting tired (although we have a Skype night here so it doesn't matter too much) and mainly because I'm not used to that: In ca. how many hours would that be?

Depends on when I get back to my computer, probably within 1 hour from now. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, AJG said:

From Variety

Who is writing these articles? 

Wait.

Nevermind Chapek stupidity and the Disney fiasco for a minute.

Can anyone see how hilariously stupid this looks with how the release of Black Widow was treated here and by the trades? Because the treatment is so incredibly unequal that I’m legit dumbfounded. 

I mean... LOL. :hahaha:

And this is coming from someone that genuinely loves The Suicide Squad and that thinks that’s the best DC film since The Dark Knight, and maybe even better than that film. I legit love how The Suicide Squad is fully aware of its comic book roots and owns it, it basks on it, it’s proud of it. With that all said, this is very much a box office failure for the ages.

How is it better to force foreigners to use a vpn to watch this film and leave it for free in United States HBO Max only? Does piracy doesn’t cross the seven seas anymore? If we know that even Scarlet was effed over, she would reportedly get a cut out of the PA numbers, what is it to say to Gunn’s bonuses? It’s kinda disheartening because I absolutely love this film and it was one of the best superhero experiences of the last decade at the very least, but LMFAO at the double standards. Both here and most of all by the trades. It’s meme worthy.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

And to say both have around same budget.

Suicide Squad is doing horrible if it comes under 30m but people won't accept that. 

Doesn't matter if it's R rated or not. Opening below Jungle Cruise is bad in every way possible. 

A reminder: people (especially franchise war soldiers) will use incredible mental gymnastics for something they liked (or hated) that isn’t exactly consistent with other things. I mean people wanting to throw a parade for JC’s opening (considering its budget) was a through the looking glass moment for me.

• Like 3

Anecdotal evidence but when I bought tickets for my 8pm showing at 7:30 there was only four other tickets sold, but the theater (50 seater) was full except the front row during the actual movie. Def seems walkup solid so far. 

Movie was eh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RRA said:

A reminder: people (especially franchise war soldiers) will use incredible mental gymnastics for something they liked (or hated) that isn’t exactly consistent with other things. I mean people wanting to throw a parade for JC’s opening (considering its budget) was a through the looking glass moment for me.

Yeah i know who and what you are saying. Double standard and extremely inconsistent; so absurd that i did not bother replying and just rolled my eyes...

How is the circumstance of JC be close to the R-Rating and being on HBO max for free..

I thought it would get A- CS just from seeing reactions the last few days online and on here, maybe some stuff in the movie turned people off? I can’t comment cause I’m not seeing it till tomorrow.

23 minutes ago, Alligator Zatt said:

I don’t want to get into trouble but it’s clear that it’s the same reason why this film got review bombed on Rotten Tomatoes. Disgusting.

I don't know.  I think a B+ checks out.

ETA:

And I doubt the people who were bombing RT actually went to a movie theater to answer CinemaScore's questions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1