Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Frankly speaking, this wouldn't be much of news as its business suits talk but if it is, I wonder what really is happening back door.

First ScarJo suing and now this, is someone from Marvel or somebody else ganging up on Chapek?

26 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Simu Liu is literally the only one who cares at this point I guess. Disney/Marvel are acting like it's just a movie to dump , I am surprised because this is very important movie in many regards. They could have handled marketing more positively. 

Bringing down the spirit of your lead actor is not good look. He is fairly new in the business and I am pretty sure this is not what he was expecting when cast in a MCU movie. 

Knowing what I understand about King Kevin’s ego, I’m pretty certain he cares. I’m willing to bet money he didn’t like one of his blockbusters labeled an experiment because it gives off the impression it’s maybe being sacrificed. 

I would like to be a fly on the wall in talks between him and Chapek. Hell what does KK think about what Simu did or was he sideblinded like the rest of us?

I already have low hopes for Shang-Chi but I fear for the inevitable disaster of this rollout. Simu is extremely active on social media, Marvel is still reeling from the Black Widow release and Disney itself has admitted the film would have gone PA otherwise. If the box office doesn’t exceed expectations, the aftermath will be felt. 

• Disbelief 1

39 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Marvel is still reeling from the Black Widow release and Disney itself has admitted the film would have gone PA otherwise. If the box office doesn’t exceed expectations, the aftermath will be felt. 

Friend, I'm telling you you care more about Black Widow's distribution more than anyone at Disney or Marvel. 

I Don't think Disney or Simu are in the wrong here.

Chapek didn't say the film was an experiment but rather the release style was. Plus this statement also gives me the sense that they expect the film will have a challenging time and seems like they will give it some leeway in terms of measuring success. 

On Shang-Chi, we think it's actually going to be an interesting experiment for us because it's got only a 45-day window for us. So the prospect of being able to take a Marvel title to service after going theatrical with 45 days will be yet another data point to inform our actions going forward on our titles. But once again, I'll refer back to my previous answer. When we plan Shang-Chi that title was planned on being in a much more healthy theatrical environment.

source: https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2021/08/12/walt-disney-dis-q3-2021-earnings-call-transcript/

However then you have certain people online taking it out of context. 

Screen-Shot-2021-08-14-at-10-12-23-PM.pn

And so I can't fault Simu at all for making the tweet he did and I'd say it has less to do with Disney/Chapek and more to do with the Grace Randolphs of the world. 

Also I'm sure this will get picked up and be great publicity for Shang-Chi, so not really a PR concern for Marvel/Disney in my opinion. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I already have low hopes for Shang-Chi but I fear for the inevitable disaster of this rollout. Simu is extremely active on social media, Marvel is still reeling from the Black Widow release and Disney itself has admitted the film would have gone PA otherwise. If the box office doesn’t exceed expectations, the aftermath will be felt. 

I agree. If Chapek weaponizes Shang-Chi's (potential) failure against future exclusive theatrical windows for MCU films (i.e. Eternals, DS2, Thor3) or alienates Simu Liu, I can't see how Feige: a) doesn't start a cold war via the press and b) threatens (even follows through on) an exit.

The time bomb is when the press starts to focus on Chapek's son, Brian, who is a production exec at Marvel (he got an EP credit on BW) and may be in the middle of all this.

• ...wtf 1

“Oh man! I’m definitely not going to go and see the new MCU movie because Bob Chapek called it an experiment!”

Give me a break. 

Shang-Chi (assuming it’s good) is going to open just fine - without being given away for free to hold it back. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CJohn said:

Chapek keeps doing fuck up after fuck up. Iger needs to throw him into the trash and get back into power.

He was the penny pinching hire made to be the sacrificial lamb...he can't be gone til all the pennies are fully pinched and the virus is over - not there for either item yet, so we're in for at least 1 more year of Chapek being Chapek at the Disney helm...

• Like 2

So, since we discussed hour cutbacks in theaters, as of school restart here, my 2 Cinemark locals will be giving up 10am showings and opening at 12pm M-F.  A smaller cutback than last fall, but one just the same since that's one few showing per day on every screen.

My local Regals are still TBD on this, but the less popular one is only preselling 4/7pm showings on the weekdays during school start week - while being open would be better than last fall, that would be a big cutback if that comes to pass...

• Like 1

Still cant understand obsession with hybride releases. They are simply destroying business, sure way to lose money. 9 out of 10 from my friend list of facebook watched The Suicide Squad for free. And they are mostly respectable people from our movie and TV industry. Many of them will go to cinema in case of pure theatrical release. 

Caught a dialogue like this.  "Lets go to watch The Suicide Squad. Looks cool, nearly 100% on RT. What for? It will be tomorrow online, no need to go anywhere. Oh, i really forgot. Will watch online too". And once again they are rather rich and successful guys. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

Still cant understand obsession with hybride releases. They are simply destroying business, sure way to lose money. 9 out of 10 from my friend list of facebook watched The Suicide Squad for free. And they are mostly respectable people from our movie and TV industry. Many of them will go to cinema in case of pure theatrical release. 

Caught a dialogue like this.  "Lets go to watch The Suicide Squad. Looks cool, nearly 100% on RT. What for? It will be tomorrow online, no need to go anywhere. Oh, i really forgot. Will watch online too". And once again they are rather rich and successful guys. 

this!

it’s time more on here admitted they know plenty of people watching these movies for free. People who would pay to see it at the cinema if it was their only way to see it. 

I’ve been saying this for months. A perfect 2160p HDR version of a movie is not seen as ‘a pirate copy’ by a generation.  They just want to see the movie, and if it’s there when they click a button they’re not going to bat an eyelid. 

Don’t put your movies out digitally day one and then you might just get people wanting to see the movie amazingly show up at theaters to see it! 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 4

Everyone know tons of people are watching it for free, we just can't assume everyone watching it ilegally would go to a theater and pay for it if it's the only option.

To me the more unreasonable strategy is HBO Max day and date because it's for free. Obviously they want subscribers and they are getting them but still they really destroyed tons of movies potential for it and they know.

Now for PA for example i honestly think only BW really suffer with it, and more foreign to be honest because on US the money they made with PA cover what they lost on theaters. Otherwise all their movies have good legs in it's strategy, we can seeing one right now with Jungle Cruise. To me the Disney releases that really suffer was the Pixar movies, which are in the same spot of Warner (but more succesful at least, Luca first weeks on D+ is probably the best release ever on streaming for a movie, not only with huge debut but subsequential incredible holds).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

Hate Disney for putting this word out in the open , making it look like an experiment is not good look for their first Asian led Superhero movie. I know I am pessimistic about it but I hope it can surprise. 

Simu should be ashamed of his self, he is basically saying Chapek is racist and attacking his culture, when he knows that is not true,he knows Chapek was saying the 45 day day window is an experiment, good luck seeing Shang Chi in anymore marvel movies, or at least a Disney + series

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

5 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Everyone know tons of people are watching it for free, we just can't assume everyone watching it ilegally would go to a theater and pay for it if it's the only option.

Of course not. But just imagine only 10% of people who watched the movie illegally online would go to cinema. That would make a huge difference.

Usually our cinema owners and managers believed that people who watch movie for free online mostly would not go to cinema anyway.  At least partially true. With so many hybride release and perfect HD copies on the opening weekend that doesnt work anymore, Millions of regular moviegoers all over the world are watching now movies online for free. And it will not be an easy job to change their habits. 

• Like 4

Jungle Cruise still holding well after dropping only 55% last weekend?

Think the WB/HBO is just brutalizing second weekends. SJ2 had a brutal drop for a family film from a $31M OW and, now, if what we're hearing is true, TSS too. These movies are meeting so much demand between opening weekend rush, streaming through HBO and piracy that no matter how well received that they plummet weekend two even after soft opening weekends. Sucks.

I will say anecdotally, that aside from myself and my brother, the other dozen+ people I know that caught TSS in theater or streaming did not like it... Which surprised me. Is the Audience Score still dropping at RT?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Simu should be ashamed of his self, he is basically saying Chapek is racist and attacking his culture, when he knows that is not true,he knows Chapek was saying the 45 day day window is an experiment, good luck seeing Shang Chi in anymore marvel movies, or at least a Disney + series

Lol no. Even if this movie flops Simu Liu is not going anywhere. He will be in multiple movie going forward.