Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

Interesting strategy to outright lie about what the CEO of the company said when he’s the one who committed you to a 45 day exclusive window. 

regardless Chapek seems like he doesn’t give a crap about what people say about him. In some cases that’s not so good. In cases like this, it can be good. he probably won’t even acknowledge it. 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

why replace it when it can be in addition? 

They can have huge income from streaming AND movies in theaters.  

have to say I find it STAGGERING that you believe it’s done when we’re in the middle of a pandemic with movies being delayed and day and date/piracy tearing into people going to see what is out there. 

People enjoy going to the movies. Leaving the house. Going out with friends. Experiencing a movie how it’s meant to be seen. It will never be done just because the box office is down right now due to serious mitigating circumstances. 

Life will go back to normal eventually, and those that want to stay stuck inside for the rest of their lives with their tv can crack on. The rest of us will go and enjoy ourselves seeing movies they’ll have to wait 8 weeks for. 

you wouldn’t be short on $AMC per chance? Lol

Because studios would rather have subscribers instead of ticket sales, think about that, you can completely replace your Worldwide theater income with 100 million subscribers, without even having to leave the US

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

Because studios would rather have subscribers instead of ticket sales, think about that, you can completely replace your Worldwide theater income with 100 million subscribers, without even having to leave the US

Why bother to subscribe if I can watch the same quality at the same place with zero cost? 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

But with normal cinema releases you will still have your 100 million subscribers, You have 2 or even 3 solid sources of income and want to have only one instead. Not a good business model. Not a business model at all. How many subscribers helped to add hybride releases of Black Widow or Jungle Cruise? Not much. Yet they destroyed cinema releases.

Of course it's a dream of any studio boss. If you made a shitty movie for $200 mln and it bombed in theaters you might be fired. But if you made a shitty movie for $200 mln and it will go for streaming you will still get the same money per month from subscribers. And pretty much no one will unsubscribe for one or even two terrinble movies.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gokira2012 said:

i think that's illegal

Who cares if that is with little-to none enforcement? Plus, the risk of getting sued by pirating a movie is so much lower than striked by lighting. I have been watching loki series at zero cost with zero guilt.    

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Guys Gokira is always doing a dumb bit. A couple years back, he was parading on about how Kong Skull Island was set to be a bomb for the ages and that Power Rangers was going to be a mega smash even after both movies came out.

Just ignore him and then he’ll eventually tire himself out or realize nobody finds his schtick amusing

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, juni78ukr said:

But with normal cinema releases you will still have your 100 million subscribers, You have 2 or even 3 solid sources of income and want to have only one instead. Not a good business model. Not a business model at all. How many subscribers helped to add hybride releases of Black Widow or Jungle Cruise? Not much. Yet they destroyed cinema releases.

Of course it's a dream of any studio boss. If you made a shitty movie for $200 mln and it bombed in theaters you might be fired. But if you made a shitty movie for $200 mln and it will go for streaming you will still get the same money per month from subscribers. And pretty much no one will unsubscribe for one or even two terrinble movies.  

I work on Wall Street and that is the thinking there, actually the stock brokers here would wish Disney + followed HBO MAx and released their slate on Disney + with no $30 extra

2 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Guys Gokira is always doing a dumb bit. A couple years back, he was parading on about how Kong Skull Island was set to be a bomb for the ages and that Power Rangers was going to be a mega smash even after both movies came out.

Just ignore him and then he’ll eventually tire himself out or realize nobody finds his schtick amusing

everyone has a bad day at the office...lol

2 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I work on Wall Street and that is the thinking there, actually the stock brokers here would wish Disney + followed HBO MAx and released their slate on Disney + with no $30 extra

Lol, don't make wall street guy like a wise saint who got always got things right, see the shit mess they put America in 2008.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

That TSS drop is not only because HBO Max... I guess the movie was indeed restrictive on it's humour and tone.

Wonder why it only dropped -30% in its second weekend here in the UK? We don’t have HBOMax. Maybe Americans not clicking with it. 

$4.37m is great for Don’t Breathe 2, all things considered. Just over $9m weekend  probably. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

but what evidence is there that say Disney’s subscribers, for example, have over 100 million subscribers whose commitment is dependent on them getting all their new movies on D+ day one of release?  

People subscribe to these services for catalogues and new TELEVISION. Disney have 117 million subscribers (that increment rapidly slowing as life goes back to normal and people go outside) and you can put that down to Star Wars and Marvel TV SHOWS. 

Do you think Disney are going to throw hundreds of millions of dollars away per event movie to put it for free on a streaming service where people are already subscribed so they’re guaranteed that revenue?

Black Widow - arguably their biggest release of the year managed just 2 million people buying it on Disney+ out of 117 million on opening weekend. 2 million!  Just 2% of their Marvel loving base wanted to watch it on PA, OW.  So their attempts at extra revenue on a movie by movie basis on the platform are not good. The other movies they’ve tried on there we didn’t even get numbers they were that bad (JC aside where a massive 1% paid for that OW)

Like I said, I don’t get your argument. 
WB also don’t get your argument as they’re going back to full theatrical 45 day window after their day and date HBO Max experiment failed miserably and they’re paying for it every week.

As it stands there is no evidence that studios would rather just have subscription revenue, and turn away the most lucrative method per movie that is theatrical. 

The biggest factor….you really think people are going to subscribe to every studio’s subscription service just to be able to see every new movie?  

Based on everything we’ve seen in the last year there is absolutely no evidence that going full streaming is what they want to do, or what audiences want. 

Streaming on their services is irrefutably part of the new normal once the pandemic is relatively over. But it’s not going to start and end with it. 

Really think that the WB/HBO is just brutal. MK, SJ2 and, now, TSS are just taking nose dives in their second weekend more even than just about anything else outside of a few outliers while stuff like QP2, F9, Old and the Disney releases are dropping big too but not consistently like the WB releases. Hell, Jungle Cruise seems to be holding rather well actually. BW had a ridiculous drop but at least that was from an 80M OW DOM rather than something like 25, 30 and 25 like the three WB releases I mentioned earlier that dropped through the floor. GvK is the only WB release that showed some legs and managed to get to 100M+ DOM.

It's not just HBO with subscribers... People share subscriptions. I don't know anyone that doesn't share their HBO Max with at least 4 people. Most share it with 5+. Now, if you're buying a movie for 30 bucks plus friends that share your login have a limited time to watch after it's purchased that's completely different to I'll open my pals HBO Max app whenever and watch TSS, MK, SJ2 for free whenever. 

Piracy is huge but a lot of people I think are just sharing subs for HBO, Disney, etc. It's ridiculously easy and they haven't cracked down on it at all. Only crackdowns where it's harder is it you have YouTubeTV or Hulu Live. They start to track and give more of shit then because those are like 65 dollars or more monthly...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

oh, so you are short on $AMC. Lol

now it makes sense. That’s going well for you. 

Stock brokers wish for Disney to do it as they’ve bet the house on AMC going out of business.  Sorry, but whilst Wall Street tried to make money out of destroying a beloved industry when it was on its knees - it ain’t happening!! 

Guys, he’s a shill. Ignore everything he’s saying. At least we’ve got his agenda out in the open now. 

9 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

I could be completely off but doesn't D+ have like 2.5 times as many subs as HBO Max?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

but what evidence is there that say Disney’s subscribers, for example, have over 100 million subscribers whose commitment is dependent on them getting all their new movies on D+ day one of release?  

People subscribe to these services for catalogues and new TELEVISION. Disney have 117 million subscribers (that increment rapidly slowing as life goes back to normal and people go outside) and you can put that down to Star Wars and Marvel TV SHOWS. 

Do you think Disney are going to throw hundreds of millions of dollars away per event movie to put it for free on a streaming service where people are already subscribed so they’re guaranteed that revenue?

Black Widow - arguably their biggest release of the year managed just 2 million people buying it on Disney+ out of 117 million on opening weekend. 2 million!  Just 2% of their Marvel loving base wanted to watch it on PA, OW.  So their attempts at extra revenue on a movie by movie basis on the platform are not good. The other movies they’ve tried on there we didn’t even get numbers they were that bad (JC aside where a massive 1% paid for that OW)

Like I said, I don’t get your argument. 
WB also don’t get your argument as they’re going back to full theatrical 45 day window after their day and date HBO Max experiment failed miserably and they’re paying for it every week.

As it stands there is no evidence that studios would rather just have subscription revenue, and turn away the most lucrative method per movie that is theatrical. 

The biggest factor….you really think people are going to subscribe to every studio’s subscription service just to be able to see every new movie?  

Based on everything we’ve seen in the last year there is absolutely no evidence that going full streaming is what they want to do, or what audiences want. 

Streaming on their services is irrefutably part of the new normal once the pandemic is relatively over. But it’s not going to start and end with it. 

True, but they don't care what caused the dollar , as long as they have it