Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's a good point. I'll have too look into Conjuring 3. I do think horror films are made for theaters. They generally don't cost much and hold well enough. Horror crowd is very, very reliable to generate a certain amount of cash per film. They're great date night movies too. 

What did it drop weekend to weekend? 

Dropped 57% 2nd weekend. Then it dropped between 40-50% every weekend after looks like.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Hilarious that Old is holding relatively well. It is such a bizarre film that I thought it would plummet but good for Shayamalan.

It’s holding great. 

Amazing what happens when people show up at a cinema and then choose to see a film that they can’t watch at home. I mean what a shock! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

Dropped 57% 2nd weekend. Then it dropped between 40-50% every weekend after looks like.

Coincidentally, it was one of the lower watched titles on Max based on Samba data. Its 1.6M was only ahead of The Little Things (1.4M), Tom and Jerry (1.4M), ITH (693k), and Judas (653k). Even Those Who Wish Me Dead was higher with 1.8M. Malignant will probably have low viewership on Max as well.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Free Guy's opening is pretty good, all things considered. Probably about where it would've landed had it made its original pre-COVID date of July 4th weekend last year. If nothing else, it's one of Ryan Reynolds' better openings.

Don't Breathe 2 had a good first day thanks to Friday the 13th, but it's likely frontloaded because of that and is still looking at one heck of a nasty fall from its predecessor, even if that was expected.

12 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Hilarious that Old is holding relatively well. It is such a bizarre film that I thought it would plummet but good for Shayamalan.

it’s impressive! 

Very impressive diversity breakdown for Don’t Breathe 2 by the way:

“Don’t Breathe 2 drew 52% females, 53% over 25, and 63% between 18-34 with the diversity draw being largely an evenly spread 31% Caucasian, 31% Black, and 30% Latino and 9% Asian/other. Best markets, I hear, were the North East and South.”

• Like 1

Ideally, my hope is that something is adopted that's 45 days or so exclusive to theaters... An additional 45 days or so where the movie still plays in theaters depending on how well it's hold plus a PVOD on the streaming app of something like 4.99 to 9.99 then after 90 days or so it's straight up available on the streaming platform with which the studio is aligned. Probably unrealistic but that would create three streams of revenue. I don't see any of them losing subs over this model either. They'd still gain subs. That seems to make the most sense.

So...

0 - 45 theaters

46 - 90 theaters and PVOD

90+ streaming service free with sub

And, some would pay that reduced PVOD price because I'm one of the ones that does sometimes for movies on Prime and other streaming outlets. And, those prices aren't as off putting as 29.99... I think that price scares just about all non families off.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Coincidentally, it was one of the lower watched titles on Max based on Samba data. Its 1.6M was only ahead of The Little Things (1.4M), Tom and Jerry (1.4M), ITH (693k), and Judas (653k). Even Those Who Wish Me Dead was higher with 1.8M. Malignant will probably have low viewership on Max as well.

Side note, Malignant looks SCARY

58 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Because studios would rather have subscribers instead of ticket sales, think about that, you can completely replace your Worldwide theater income with 100 million subscribers, without even having to leave the US

And subscribers are far less volatile. Box office is boom or bust. 

49 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

Who cares if that is with little-to none enforcement? Plus, the risk of getting sued by pirating a movie is so much lower than striked by lighting. I have been watching loki series at zero cost with zero guilt.    

Contrary to popular belief people with money don’t care about paying

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Ideally, my hope is that something is adopted that's 45 days or so exclusive to theaters... An additional 45 days or so where the movie still plays in theaters depending on how well it's hold plus a PVOD on the streaming app of something like 4.99 to 9.99 then after 90 days or so it's straight up available on the streaming platform with which the studio is aligned. Probably unrealistic but that would create three streams of revenue. I don't see any of them losing subs over this model either. They'd still gain subs. That seems to make the most sense.

So...

0 - 45 theaters

46 - 90 theaters and PVOD

90+ streaming service free with sub

And, some would pay that reduced PVOD price because I'm one of the ones that does sometimes for movies on Prime and other streaming outlets. And, those prices aren't as off putting as 29.99... I think that price scares just about all non families off.

45 days seem good, no need to rush out for subscribers , since they will have the entire window all for themselves for the rest of the time after the movies finish their run in cinema

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, AdrianL said:

Truly sad about The Suicide Squad... consequence of WB butchering the first one though.

It isn't just that. There's no Will Smith and Joker, two big audience draws. WB is trying to make Harley Quinn happen without Joker and, so far, that isn't working. Audience didn't care to check out BoP (no Joker, no Batman) and TSS was basically Harley and a bunch of literal who characters (to casual audience) and she isn't a draw. Also, no legit movie star. Elba isn't Smith and Cena isn't The Rock. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

And subscribers are far less volatile. Box office is boom or bust. 

But, don't you want both subscribers and box office? That's what confuses me here. Actually, don't you want subscribers, movies that cost a PVOD free for stretch and box office? If these moves are essentially only available on the streaming platform with which the studios are aligned they'll still keep all their subs. They'll probably continue to increase their number of subs even.

Day-and-date for free via subscription has meant that the runs for all the WB movies have been accelerated to just a few weeks, meaning those who really want to see these movies in theaters do so the first weekend while everyone else (especially those who would show up late in their run) can just watch them right away with the click of a button (as long as it's before the 31 days are up). But it was obvious when they announced everything in 2021 going day-and-date that they were just writing off their entire slate this year.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Borobudur said:

45 days seem good, no need to rush out for subscribers , since they will have the entire window all for themselves for the rest of the time after the movies finish their run in cinema

This is my thinking as well. That's why I'd even do 45 additional days with a reasonable PVOD charge. Because after 90, if you pay for the service, it's essentially the only place you're seeing these WB movies... Unless you have HBO through your cable provider. You kinda have to have it to see them even if you wanna wait unless you're stealing the movies via piracy.

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

But, don't you want both subscribers and box office? That's what confuses me here. Actually, don't you want subscribers, movies that cost a PVOD free for stretch and box office? If these moves are essentially only available on the streaming platform with which the studios are aligned they'll still keep all their subs. They'll probably continue to increase their number of subs even.

I mean sure that’s ideal. But in today’s world and the current situation streaming is the move for Disney. They’ve established themselves as the only other major player outside of Netflix in the streaming word and pushing movies to D+ is helping them establish a foothold. They can also ways come back to theaters if they every somewhat normalize but right now they’re presented with the unique opportunity that nobody else really has. And taking advantage to establish themselves as a must have streamer. 

because if the day comes where you have to choose between 200m subs vs the box office…you want the former. And if it should ever come to it that theaters are permanently diminished…well those streaming subs will allow them to continue in as normal. 

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Day-and-date for free via subscription has meant that the runs for all the WB movies have been accelerated to just a few weeks, meaning those who really want to see these movies in theaters do so the first weekend while everyone else (especially those who would show up late in their run) can just watch them right away with the click of a button (as long as it's before the 31 days are up). But it was obvious when they announced everything in 2021 going day-and-date that they were just writing off their entire slate this year.

2021 is for AT&T-Warner like Netflix or Amazon usual year.