Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

Free Guy was really good and refreshing (?) I don’t know if that’s the word to use for it but just felt nice to see a big budget original film on the big screen. I really really enjoyed it but most of all, it was so nice being back in the theaters! 

Really happy to seems to being doing well this weekend :) 

• Like 3

I was always surprised they didn't just make Saints an HBO Saturday premiere during the worst months of the pandemic since there were perhaps limits to its box office potential as a prequel set decades before the show.

Now, a movie that continued where the show ended (even if it would've ruined the ambiguous nature of the show's ending) would've been absolutely huge. Any chance of that ever happening died with Gandolfini's tragic passing, though.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Feels more like a 20m total gross to me. Are people really gonna rush to the theater for it?

In retrospect, the fact that it is on HBO Max (which I somehow forgot) does kind of cancel out alot of the new audience, since they are watching it on..........HBO Max. But still, there's def alot of hype for this movie and it will produce on opening weekend on some platform, whether theaters or streaming. That I'm sure of.

9 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Paw Patrol is a day-and-date release? I would've liked to see it overperform by a lot (some number in the 30s). Would've been great after the abysmal weekend that was last weekend and this boring weekend.

Yeah, it'll be available for free on Paramount+.

57 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Netflix is learning a lesson in a field it is trying to move into…not on the streaming side at all. I’m sure they’re crying all the way to the bank with their domestic revenue that equals the entire yearly US Box Office at its peak….

Well actually they lose money every year. They’re hoping 2022 is the year they actually go cash positive, but with increasing competition it remains to be seen how that’s going to go long term. 

Disney+ isn’t expected to turn a profit until 2024 either. Streaming is an incredibly expensive game. 

12 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I was always surprised they didn't just make Saints an HBO Saturday premiere during the worst months of the pandemic since there were perhaps limits to its box office potential as a prequel set decades before the show.

Now, a movie that continued where the show ended (even if it would've ruined the ambiguous nature of the show's ending) would've been absolutely huge. Any chance of that ever happening died with Gandolfini's tragic passing, though.

Alan Taylor said in his interview with THR the other day that David Chase isn't ruling out a sequel film to the series anymore, so we'll see...

2 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Paw Patrol is doing alright here in the UK. Opened on Monday, has been #3 all week and on Friday moved up to #2 between Free Guy and The Suicide Squad. It bumped Jungle Cruise down to 4th. 

Free Guy doing worse than Paw Patrol in the UK seems bad. Also seems to be opening less than Tom & Jerry (lol) in Germany. Under $20 mil intl possible? Reynold's star power doesn't seem to extend past the US and I'll take what I can. 

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

Free Guy doing worse than Paw Patrol in the UK seems bad. Also seems to be opening less than Tom & Jerry (lol) in Germany. Under $20 mil intl possible? Reynold's star power doesn't seem to extend past the US and I'll take what I can. 

It isn’t. He said PP is inbetween Free Guy and TSS at #2

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Paw Patrol could have done some surprising numbers. Too bad it's gonna be on Par+. Not like anyone has Par+, but still ....it's gonna be online

It's gonna be the only kids movie on the market until October though so who knows, maybe it'll develop insane Raya-esque staying power.

19 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Well actually they lose money every year. They’re hoping 2022 is the year they actually go cash positive, but with increasing competition it remains to be seen how that’s going to go long term. 

Disney+ isn’t expected to turn a profit until 2024 either. Streaming is an incredibly expensive game. 

Disney making a startup in 2019 and having it hit profit in 2024 is incredibly quick. 

13 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Yeah, you're right. Still, would like under $20 mil intl opening.

Why would you like an under $20M international opening especially given how bleak numbers have been in general for movies across the board…

If it’s just to call RR a flop, this movie can be a success and we can still have a discussion over which Hollywood stars have any true box office power and which are stars because of an IP behind them…