Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

6 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Paw Patrol had a BIG opening day in France. Almost 2x TSS & JC. Donno how that translate to US.

Wow I wonder if it can get over $141m worldwide which I believe would be the most a first entry from a Nickelodeon tv show turned to animated movie has made (both the first Spongebob and Rugrats films are $140m from what I can see online) 

The Spongebob sequels seem untouchable though. 

Looking ahead at Friday for the theater I track, Night House and Protege have both sold 5 seats, Paw Patrol 4, and Reminiscence 1. On Thursday, Protege has sold 6 seats while Night House is at 2. These aren't going to be movies worth pulling up comps for until Tuesday.

15 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Paw Patrol had a BIG opening day in France. Almost 2x TSS & JC. Donno how that translate to US.

I don't know how popular it is in India, but here in America, PAW Patrol is everything. I worked in retail the past four years, and it was absurd how much space PAW Patrol merch took up wherever I worked. Was pretty easily the biggest non-Disney franchise.

My sister used to work at a daycare, and she told me PAW Patrol was far and away the biggest deal for her kids. When it was playtime, the fights from kids over who got to play with which PAW Patrol toy damn near turned into The Hunger Games. Although it did give my sister the opportunity to teach her kids the importance of sharing. Always a silver lining. :lol: 

What I'm basically saying is that PAW Patrol: The Movie is basically the Endgame for 3 year olds.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Only real obstacle is that the film is just...not playing at Regal? At all? Even if you go on Regal's website, the film is not in their database. I dunno if it's a Paramount+ issue, since Cinemark made a huge stink over Raya back in March yet they are playing PAW Patrol, but it is very, very weird.

Hmmm. That is odd.

*checks*

Not here locally either.  Checked Twitter and what's odd is that they were promoting it as recently as May:

Checked Google and a few other sources and there doesn't appear to be any news about this at all in the Trades or anywhere else.  Is playing at Cineworld locations internationally, FWIW.

Obviously some sort of dispute, but looks like it was some sort of last minute thing that hasn't filtered its way to the Trades yet.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Judging by the theaters around me, PAW Patrol's selling pretty well on Friday across most showtimes. Don't want to say anything super definitive until Monday, but I think sales so far do indicate it could possibly reach #1. At the very least, double digits should happen. Only real obstacle is that the film is just...not playing at Regal? At all? Even if you go on Regal's website, the film is not in their database. I dunno if it's a Paramount+ issue, since Cinemark made a huge stink over Raya back in March yet they are playing PAW Patrol, but it is very, very weird.

Everything else though is dire, but stereotypical of late August doldrums.

Okay, that's weird - that might explain Cinemark's huge hyping of it, with weekday viewings designed for preschoolers the whole week after opening weekend...

PS - And checked my Regals and it's not there, either...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Blankments said:

god I wish I was as sexy and fuckable as joe keery 

3 hours ago, Plain Old Tele said:

Easy, just don’t shower. 

Best Chris Evans GIFs | Gfycat

Pray Keery never does a collaboration with Jake Gyllenhaal and Mila Kunis. Easy contender for smelliest set ever there.

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Best Chris Evans GIFs | Gfycat

Pray Keery never does a collaboration with Jake Gyllenhaal and Mila Kunis. Easy contender for smelliest set ever there.

When in doubt, always trust Tim Heidecker.

Edited by WrathOfHan

Regal is holding Paramount to the fire over the day and date.  The way the North American theater booking system works, everything happens on Monday.  I would guess they are going to beat them up over film rental and ultimately they will play it. 

• Like 2

If other families are like Mine - my 8 year old put PawP on the family calendar back in June when she saw the trailer. They have talked about it just as much as they have watched Raya since it dropped on D+. Granted, in our case its a Paramount+ joint but they have their post school plans for the day all planned out for their movie of the week. 

Its also a big talking point among their friends of the same age. Hazards of their being next to nothing for young children beyond Boss Baby and Space Jam the last 8 weeks. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cheesypoofs said:

Not to sound rude, but that is absolutely despicable. Voluntarily taking the vaccine is one thing, trying to force others to take it is absolutely disgusting though.

What is despicable is that a deadly virus is going to kill thousands and thousands of more people globally because of the selfish actions of people easily swayed by right wing misinformation who would rather others die than take a medical miracle of a vaccine. Fuck this shit bruh

• Like 21

Free Guy should be able to crack 100M when all is said and done. Suicide Squad is a legitimate BOMB. WB and their stupid decision of day and date is hurting their films a lot. That and frankly suicide squad looked meh to the general public. I still feel GvK would have done at least 100 million more worldwide if it was an exclusive theatrical release for 45 days. That or they could have delayed it until June-july in North America and release in other countries in April, May. Would have done 170+ domestic and 600+ WW. It was the only movie in the last 3 quarters of WB schedule that had the mass appeal.

Edited by marveldcfox
  • Like 1

What sucks about the WB decision was that it was made presumably by AT&T clowns who then washed their hands off of it within a few months, but the consequences of that are massive. 

Fucking brainless executives. When has an executive ever done anything with considerations of anyone besides themselves and the mythical shareholders? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Free Guy should be able to crack 100M when all is said and done. Suicide Squad is a legitimate BOMB. WB and their stupid decision of day and date is hurting their films a lot. That and frankly suicide squad looked meh to the general public. I still feel GvK would have done at least 100 million more worldwide if it was an exclusive theatrical release for 45 days. That or they could have delayed it until June-july in North America and release in other countries in April, May. Would have done 170+ domestic and 600+ WW. It was the only movie in the last 3 quarters of WB schedule that had the mass appeal.

since August is dead it can, but nothing should guarantee a 3x+ multiplier

• Like 1

I can't help but feel like The Suicide Squad would have been far better of as an HBO Max original. Virus or no virus, it was never going to even come close to profitability in theaters. The stench of the first movie is still strong. Birds of Prey was just a preview in hindsight.

If it was a Max original, at least WB wouldn't have to deal with all the headlines about how poorly the movie is doing in theaters and how it has the biggest second weekend drop in the entire franchise. It would have found an audience there at least.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

What is despicable is that a deadly virus is going to kill thousands and thousands of more people globally because of the selfish actions of people easily swayed by right wing misinformation who would rather others die than take a medical miracle of a vaccine. Fuck this shit bruh

If they choose not to be vax , then they should pay the full bills if they ever got admitted, freedom come at price. As simple as that.   

• Like 5