Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I can't help but feel like The Suicide Squad would have been far better of as an HBO Max original. Virus or no virus, it was never going to even come close to profitability in theaters. The stench of the first movie is still strong. Birds of Prey was just a preview in hindsight.

If it was a Max original, at least WB wouldn't have to deal with all the headlines about how poorly the movie is doing in theaters and how it has the biggest second weekend drop in the entire franchise. It would have found an audience there at least.

That’s what they’re doing beginning with Batgirl and Blue Beetle. 

The Batman will obviously do well. Flash is a wildcard but they can appealingly market the multiverse with Keaton and Affleck. Aquaman will be fine and of course Black Adam has The Rock

Wonder about Shazam 2, though. The first did “ok” but with the DCEU being messier than ever, I could see this miss the mark. I doubt it can be MAX exclusive and they cancel theatrical release in 2023 but who knows?

But other than the big guns (Batman), I’d expect most future projects end up streaming, especially the Gunn ones 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

If they choose not to be vax , then they should pay the full bills if they ever got admitted, freedom come at price. As simple as that.   

This is why I believe Vax card is necessary. Correct if I’m wrong, France sales decreased after implementing it but I truly struggle to see what other options this country can do? Lockdowns feel logistically impossible and dangerous, the mask mandate has been flip flopped. So why not do this?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I could be completely off but doesn't D+ have like 2.5 times as many subs as HBO Max?

Because Disney Plus is global and HBO just barley expanded into Latin America . Also Disney’s ARPU is extremely low (4.16),one of the lowest for all the streaming services, while HBO (11.72) is one of the highest. HBO Max makes 2.8x more off of one subscriber than Disney does. Basically 1 HBO Max subscriber is equal to almost 3 Disney Plus subscribers in revenue, so it balances out 

• Like 2

Had the double header of TSS and Free Guy tonight.

Liked TSS but didn't love it as much as others/critics, that said John Cena stole the show looking forward to both Peacemaker and Vacation Friends even more than I already was.

Loved Free Guy I just bought into what it was giving me by no means is it a masterpiece but it was incredibly entertaining and my crowd went wild for it. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Loved Free Guy I just bought into what it was giving me by no means is it a masterpiece but it was incredibly entertaining and my crowd went wild for it. 

I want to watch Free Guy so bad but will have to wait for 45 days :raining:

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

What is despicable is that a deadly virus is going to kill thousands and thousands of more people globally because of the selfish actions of people easily swayed by right wing misinformation who would rather others die than take a medical miracle of a vaccine. Fuck this shit bruh

Why is it always 'blame the right wing'. Here's an interesting fact, the top 3 States of Covid deaths per 100,000 people are all Blue states. California with the highest amount of deaths in the Country is a Blue state. This whole anti vaccine fiasco isn't reserved for 'just the ring wing', there's plenty of people from the opposite side of the spectrum being just as selfish globally

People who don't like the idea of a government forcing them to take live saving vaccines likely don't have a left or right swing but are more just part of the anti-establishment gang. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

If they choose not to be vax , then they should pay the full bills if they ever got admitted, freedom come at price. As simple as that.   

100%. Especially in countries where tax payers are forking out for healthcare.

13 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Why is it always 'blame the right wing'. Here's an interesting fact, the top 3 States of Covid deaths per 100,000 people are all Blue states. California with the highest amount of deaths in the Country is a Blue state. This whole anti vaccine fiasco isn't reserved for 'just the ring wing', there's plenty of people from the opposite side of the spectrum being just as selfish globally

People who don't like the idea of a government forcing them to take live saving vaccines likely don't have a left or right swing but are more just part of the anti-establishment gang. 

Sure, but isn’t that likely to do with them being the most heavily populated? 
Plus you’re talking total pandemic, when for the worst part there was no vaccine. 

Right now it is irrefutable that the vast, vast majority in hospitals haven’t been vaccinated. That the majority of those come from the least vaccinated states. 
it’s simple. If you’re vaccinated you’re extremely unlikely to end up in hospital. The figures are there for everybody to see. 

I don’t really like to get into the politics of it all. It’s up to individuals at the end of the day, but there really isn’t any argument to be had here. The unvaccinated are causing the hospitals to struggle. When you’re seeing children ICU facilities having to turn sick kids away because they’ve had to make room for unvaccinated very ill people - I mean, man. 

Anyway, just my two cents. I think most on here just hope people do the right thing. There is a way out of all of this, and hopefully vaccination uptake will drastically improve in the coming days/weeks so the US can return to the normality they should be in. 

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Chicago said:

Wow. I guess HBO max truly is a killer. This held 30% in the UK after a similar sized opening (comparably)

UK hold has less to this factor , every movie held great in UK. Jungle Cruise which is available on Disney+ UK only dropped about 15% I think. Someone already pointed out that in this thread. I think it's summer vacation or something in UK right now

• Like 2

3 hours ago, El Gato said:

Because Disney Plus is global and HBO just barley expanded into Latin America . Also Disney’s ARPU is extremely low (4.16),one of the lowest for all the streaming services, while HBO (11.72) is one of the highest. HBO Max makes 2.8x more off of one subscriber than Disney does. Basically 1 HBO Max subscriber is equal to almost 3 Disney Plus subscribers in revenue, so it balances out 

That ARPU will increase a bit if Disney doubles its monthly sub fee to on par with HBO, but yea HBO has a bigger presence in the US than D+. I think when HBO max expands globally it will challenge D+ in subscriber count. The trades are always talking D+ numbers, but HBO max has been a smash hit as well. I think maybe it was D+ kind of working from scratch whereas HBO max started with inbuilt HBO subscribers, but at this point that start isnt so relevant, I feel like Warner deserves as much respect for HBO max as Disney seems to get for D+   

I wonder how slow the HBO MAX international roll out will be. Its obvious WB/ATT didnt plan this out long term. They make rash decisions out of nowhere.

Imagine the subscriber numbers if HBO Max was worldwide and they did the day 1 strategy all over.

As is I imagine the roll out will be a slow process with missing content all over because of all the deals they have signed.

I'm in Canada and almost all the max stuff comes on Crave here. I recall when Prime video first launched here it took a couple years before it wasnt total shit due to the deals they had signed.

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

UK hold has less to this factor , every movie held great in UK. Jungle Cruise which is available on Disney+ UK only dropped about 15% I think. Someone already pointed out that in this thread. I think it's summer vacation or something in UK right now

No, just the same as the US, schools are off. But TSS is rated a 15. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madhuvan said:

I would have thought summer vacation would effect weekdays more than weekends. We could put it down to the warm weather we had 2 weeks ago compared to the miserable weather last weekend, that likely softened the drops. Kids on vacation are mostly under 15 also

Even still, CBM's performances in general tend to closely allign with the UK. The GBP gross is usually around 10% of the domestic dollar gross. With that in mind, TSS seems to be over performing in the UK compared to the US, more than any CBM in recent memory. Being free to watch could be that reason. 

JC and BW aren't great to compare with because they aren't actually free, you still have to pay around £20 here to watch them on D+

Edited by Chicago

18 minutes ago, Chicago said:

JC and BW aren't great to compare with because they aren't actually free, you still have to pay around £20 here to watch them on D+

The thing is even HBO MAX is not available in UK in the first place. All 3 can be pirated in the best print so comparison does make sense. Although yes , Suicide Squad is rated 15+ as @Krissykins pointed out. 

6 hours ago, BK007 said:

What sucks about the WB decision was that it was made presumably by AT&T clowns who then washed their hands off of it within a few months, but the consequences of that are massive. 

Fucking brainless executives. When has an executive ever done anything with considerations of anyone besides themselves and the mythical shareholders? 

Did they not realised they AQP2 alone, outrun WB's entire summer releases, ITH, Conjuring 3 and TSS combined?