Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

32 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Those are the only kinds of tweets he ever writes.

Exactly, tiresome. 

That’s a good hold for The Suicide Squad overseas. The domestic drop isn’t much worse than Black Widow and F9 tbh. 

Solid for Don’t Breathe 2 and Respect. Glad Jungle Cruise wasn’t number 2. 

That’s great for Free Guy considering the tracking numbers. Overseas numbers look a little underwhelming though, how many markets was that from? 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

Really happy with Free Guy’s numbers. Of course wishing it could have gotten to $30M but off to a really strong start and WOM is really good. My theater was pretty full yesterday and it was a definite crowd pleaser. Let’s see how it holds up going forward. 

• Like 2

Paramount should have sold Snake Eyes to Amazon instead of The Tomorrow War.

Pratt is a star, Golding is not. 

Worldwide potential for sci-fi blockbusters is huge, for flailing has-been franchises it's not. 

Disney were smart to start planning for a global streaming platform early and start to expire their film rights. 

Paramount+, Peacock and WB/Discovery - how are any of them realistically going to expand? All of them are owned by bigger companies - well I suppose WB/Discovery is now sort of free from clashing objectives/perspectives but I think it's a legacy mess. Can they make enough $ in the US alone to offset losses elsewhere? I don't think so. 

Disney itself, the best prepared has already struggled to get it right but they have the most leeway since they own pretty much all the biggest brands. If Americans cannot associate any franchises or brands with Paramount, Peacock and WB/Discovery, then why would global audiences be able to? 

I guess the one thing in common they now all have are animation arms which is a necessity. But no one goes into a film and says "Ah, a Universal/Paramount/WB film". I guess to be fair, it's not like people are giving Disney itself much credit but Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars have strong enough identities to offset that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chicago said:

Why is it always 'blame the right wing'. Here's an interesting fact, the top 3 States of Covid deaths per 100,000 people are all Blue states. California with the highest amount of deaths in the Country is a Blue state. This whole anti vaccine fiasco isn't reserved for 'just the ring wing', there's plenty of people from the opposite side of the spectrum being just as selfish globally

People who don't like the idea of a government forcing them to take live saving vaccines likely don't have a left or right swing but are more just part of the anti-establishment gang. 

I'm in Florida, everyone I know without a vaccine has COVID right now, and we aren't a blue state. Most of the 10 most populous states in America are blue states, so of course they have alot of deaths. Also, my high school friends are mostly unvaccinated, and they're also mostly black and Latino, so I know as well as anyone here that it isn't just right wingers who are unvaccinated. But the talking points they are and the reasons they give aren't the Tuskegee experiment - it is the exact same right-wing originated BS about the vaccine being rushed, unapproved, dangerous, etc. Those viral reasonings were created and spread through right wing disinformation networks.

Anyway, enough politics. Free Guy and Don't Breathe did about as well as they would have pre-pandemic, but Respect....woof. Would have probably cruised to an easy 18-22 in the good ole days. And on a 55m budget too! Another example of a marginal choice at the movies - back in the day, it probably could have got me in for a lazy afternoon, but is anyone really risking their life for the Walk Hard treatment?

• Like 13

7 minutes ago, Nova said:

Really happy with Free Guy’s numbers. Of course wishing it could have gotten to $30M but off to a really strong start and WOM is really good. My theater was pretty full yesterday and it was a definite crowd pleaser. Let’s see how it holds up going forward. 

I am eager to see how FG will drop in the 2nd week run, hope for some <50%. 

8 minutes ago, BK007 said:

Paramount should have sold Snake Eyes to Amazon instead of The Tomorrow War.

Pratt is a star, Golding is not. 

Worldwide potential for sci-fi blockbusters is huge, for flailing has-been franchises it's not. 

Disney were smart to start planning for a global streaming platform early and start to expire their film rights. 

Paramount+, Peacock and WB/Discovery - how are any of them realistically going to expand? All of them are owned by bigger companies - well I suppose WB/Discovery is now sort of free from clashing objectives/perspectives but I think it's a legacy mess. Can they make enough $ in the US alone to offset losses elsewhere? I don't think so. 

Disney itself, the best prepared has already struggled to get it right but they have the most leeway since they own pretty much all the biggest brands. If Americans cannot associate any franchises or brands with Paramount, Peacock and WB/Discovery, then why would global audiences be able to? 

I guess the one thing in common they now all have are animation arms which is a necessity. But no one goes into a film and says "Ah, a Universal/Paramount/WB film". I guess to be fair, it's not like people are giving Disney itself much credit but Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars have strong enough identities to offset that. 

The sad truth is Asian lead movies are a hard sell, and Asian countries don't like American Asian lead movies

Edited by Gokira2012