Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

2 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

People here are still going with the "Mortal Kombat is the biggest release on HBO Max" narrative for some reason when it isn't true.

I've been basing it off of THR article that said that. They very well may be wrong but I'm willing to trust them

27 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Oh boy, indeed.  Eternals<Top Gun?    I too feel an under performance from Eternals (relative to Marvel fanboy expectations), but no way TG 2 does that much.

Also, November seems a little empty. I'm surprised Venom didn't move there

Eternals will be bigger than Shang-Chi but not by much. There isn't really a hook for it yet. I'm curious how the second trailer pans out.

Just now, WrathOfHan said:

Eternals will be bigger than Shang-Chi but not by much. There isn't really a hook for it yet. I'm curious how the second trailer pans out.

That first trailer was too subdued. Needs an explosive second trailer. I adored Nomadland, but it is weird to follow its marketing strategy for Eternals.

3 hours ago, Madhuvan said:

No numbers so far suggest that and neither does audience reception.

I read some articles that say the movie failed at the box office because of the delta variant and simultaneous release on HBO Max, and not because of a lack of public interest

The Suicide Squad technically is a win for the DC brand. It’s the best reviewed comic movie since Wonder Woman and one of the best since Dark Knight. The DCEU has been very inconsistent. They’ve established a relationship with Gunn. And the future of DC appears to be HBOMAX. There they can appeal directly to interested fans 

Edited by BestPicturePlutoNash
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

The Suicide Squad technically is a win for the DC brand. It’s the best reviewed comic movie since Wonder Woman and one of the best since Dark Knight. The DCEU has been very inconsistent. They’ve established a relationship with Gunn. And the future of DC appears to be HBOMAX. There they can appeal directly to interested fans 

Black Panther had far better reviews and Endgame also had better reviews (and both also had better reviews than WW so that is a strange example to use).

Edit: If you mean only DC movies then it is true. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

You mean DC movies? because with its current 91% is not even top 5 from the last 5 years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Thought we weren’t allowed to use covid as an excuse here anymore? 

1 hour ago, Krissykins said:

Some users have been saying we can’t blame covid lol.

Saying that COVID isn't the only reason something underperformed ≠ COVID isn't a factor in something underperforming. 

Like, duh, obviously, COVID (and specifically Delta) is a reason for the current state of the box office.

• Like 4

I expect Marvel to clearer what Eternals is about in the next trailer but i see 0 problems making an suggestive teaser like they did, and honestly i hope even the official big trailer doesn´t reveal too much, it´s not necessary.

The teaser didn´t explain anything and it get very big numbers anyway, the interest already exists.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 2

I too just got out of Free Guy and it is my fave movie of the year so far.  It's funny, it's full of action, has some romance, a terrific message, some amazing cameos and most of all it's a fun summer movie.  I agree with AC....I think it will have legs too.

• Like 5
  • Astonished 1

1 hour ago, ThomasNicole said:

I expect Marvel to clearer what Eternals is about in the next trailer but i see 0 problems making an suggestive teaser like they did, and honestly i hope even the official big trailer doesn´t reveal too much, it´s not necessary.

The teaser didn´t explain anything and it get very big numbers anyway, the interest already exists.

Yeah 77 million in 24 hrs is a very very solid number. I don't see any issue with the buzz around Eternals. I think if the Covid situation is like June/July, it can do 100 million OW. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Don’t forget guys. All of this love for FG’s performance when you’d have been bashing it if it had opened to $13 million when being on HBO Max same day.  

The sooner we get these big movies back exclusively in theaters, the better for the whole movie business. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Menor said:

Black Panther had far better reviews and Endgame also had better reviews (and both also had better reviews than WW so that is a strange example to use).

Edit: If you mean only DC movies then it is true. 

There is absolutely no point in comparing DC to Marvel, the former has never been able to compete with the latter in any form of media, well besides animation. Marvel is just on a level DC will never reach, just look at comic sales if you don’t believe me. Batman is the only DC character able to compete and I say this as a HUGE DC fan! Sucks but reality often does suck 

• ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

Saying that COVID isn't the only reason something underperformed ≠ COVID isn't a factor in something underperforming. 

Like, duh, obviously, COVID (and specifically Delta) is a reason for the current state of the box office.

I think all these films are losing 50% domestically. Yes I think BW could have managed 140m, TSS at 52m, Free guy at 60 and TJC at 68m if there was no pandemic.

Obviously we will never know the true extent though.  I'm shocked at how high AQP2 opened now, wondering if that could have opened much higher or maybe it benefited through not having Delta so established 

Edited by Chicago