Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

10 minutes ago, El Gato said:

There is absolutely no point in comparing DC to Marvel, the former has never been able to compete with the latter in any form of media, well besides animation

And video games

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Yeah 77 million in 24 hrs is a very very solid number. I don't see any issue with the buzz around Eternals. I think if the Covid situation is like June/July, it can do 100 million OW. 

Going by YT, which is the best comparison, Eternals only has 23M views, while Shang Chi has 21M… for comparison Birds of Prey (29M), WW84 (40M), Black Widow (30M), The Suicide Squad (12M), Venom 2 (33M) and The Batman (32M). 

In hindsight maybe the low trailer views should have been a sign that TSS would underperform. Shang Chi and Eternals being under BOP and BW doesn’t fill me with confidence of a breakout. Though things are looking great for Venom 2 and The Batman! 

• Disbelief 1

Anecdotal of course but Free Guy is having  some solid walk ups at my theater. I bought my tickets last minute for the 8PM showing and I just got seated for it, checked the sales for it and it’s sold an additional 7 seats. 

Mind you I also just moved to the Northern Virginia area so not really sure how this theater usually works re walk-ups but just thought it was interesting. 

Anyways see y’all on the other side :) 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, El Gato said:

There is absolutely no point in comparing DC to Marvel, the former has never been able to compete with the latter in any form of media, well besides animation. Marvel is just on a level DC will never reach, just look at comic sales if you don’t believe me. Batman is the only DC character able to compete and I say this as a HUGE DC fan! Sucks but reality often does suck 

Yeah, that's not what I meant with my post and I don't believe that fanboy wars nonsense. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, El Gato said:

Going by YT, which is the best comparison, Eternals only has 23M views, while Shang Chi has 21M… for comparison Birds of Prey (29M), WW84 (40M), Black Widow (30M), The Suicide Squad (12M), Venom 2 (33M) and The Batman (32M). 

In hindsight maybe the low trailer views should have been a sign that TSS would underperform. Shang Chi and Eternals being under BOP and BW doesn’t fill me with confidence of a breakout. Though things are looking great for Venom 2 and The Batman! 

They are way higher than BOP in likes (comparing teaser to teaser which is the only fair comparison as official trailer likes receive a bump during and post release week). Plus these are new characters while WW84, BW, Venom, and Batman are established. 

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Menor said:

They are way higher than BOP in likes (comparing teaser to teaser which is the only fair comparison as official trailer likes receive a bump during and post release week). Plus these are new characters while WW84, BW, Venom, and Batman are established. 

True and I’m hoping for the best! More representation in theatrical films is always a plus in my eyes so I hope Eternals and Shang Chi perform big! Plus Marvel has been able to make unknown characters popular, unlike DC 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

Views of older movies doesn't matter because YT is losing power and other platforms are becoming bigger. Oh, also trailer views usually get boost after the movie is released.

Also lots of views come from ads, usually Marvel don't do that, the best comparisson here is see the views and the likes ratio.

Eternals and Shang Chi have 829k likes each, more then both Venom 2 trailers for example, even if Venom have more views (partially because of Sony ads). 

BOP have 29M but only 332k likes, TSS have 111k. So you see, the engagement aren't proportional to the views like they are for MCU because they usually don't do much ads.

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Views of older movies doesn't matter because YT is losing power and other platforms are becoming bigger.

Also lots of views come from ads, usually Marvel don't do that, the best comparisson here is see the views and the likes ratio.

Eternals and Shang Chi have 829k likes each, more then both Venom 2 trailers for example, even if Venom have more views (partially because of Sony ads). 

BOP have 29M but only 332k likes, TSS have 111k. So you see, the engagement aren't proportional to the views like they are for MCU because they usually don't do much ads.

That I didn’t know, thanks for the heads up! That’s great news for The Batman then as it’s almost at 1M likes! Surprisingly WW84 also had high like ratios (700K). Aquaman also had a strong likes ratio. Maybe DC bigger characters are the only ones that can hang with Marvel 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Gato said:

That I didn’t know, thanks for the heads up! That’s great news for The Batman then as it’s almost at 1M likes! Surprisingly WW84 also had high like ratios (700K). Aquaman also had a strong likes ratio. Maybe DC bigger characters are the only ones that can hang with Marvel 

Yes, The Batman specifically are very impressive, it actually can reach 1M likes futurally, which just some movies manage to get.

I expect this one to be very huge, you know, if pandemic let it be.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Views of older movies doesn't matter because YT is losing power and other platforms are becoming bigger. Oh, also trailer views usually get boost after the movie is released.

Being fair to Venom 2, the likes are split across multiple channels, so in reality it would be higher. That said Venom seems to overindex big time on YT for whatever reason. The first one should have had a higher OS-C total than it did going off the trailer views and likes which were higher than CM for example.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

Look at us discussing Comic Book Movies and being civil. We can do it, folks! 🥳 😝

5 hours ago, WrathOfHan said:

Eternals will be bigger than Shang-Chi but not by much. There isn't really a hook for it yet. I'm curious how the second trailer pans out.

Chloe Zhao!! THAT CAST!! Jack Kirby Inspired Art and Costumes!! Oh and Real Locations!! I know Kevin is super pumped about that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cap said:

Chloe Zhao!! THAT CAST!! Jack Kirby Inspired Art and Costumes!! Oh and Real Locations!! I know Kevin is super pumped about that. 

Okay, but like, a hook for normal people ;) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

28 minutes ago, Cap said:

Look at us discussing Comic Book Movies and being civil. We can do it, folks! 🥳 😝

But does the GA care about that stuff? :Venom: 

Shang Chi looks like a generic superhero movie and Eternals currently looks like a bad space opera. The atmosphere in the latter is just dead. 

Hope Free Guy can hold well next weekend despite Delta so that we can have more evidence on why being a theatrical exclusive is good. And obviously it has to be well received so not like Snake Eyes.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1