Jump to content
Eric Belcher

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Cap said:

Idk. I never saw Aloha. 

Great film, but there's that one controversy surrounding it (although that whole thing works better in the movie and people were too quick to dismiss it from the trailer). In regards to Free Guy, I wonder how Nora Ephron (whose incorporation of technology into the rom-com formula was fantastic in You've Got Mail and Julie & Julia) would've handled this concept if she were still alive. I feel like that would've been something genuinely refreshing after the drought of good romcoms.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

I like how half your posts here consist solely of hating on Hollywood and praising mixed or critically panned films instead

 

I didn’t like Free Guy but it played well to audiences and ending was sweet. Low barometer sure but if the formula works…

Agreed. Despite movies like Free Guy (and pretty much all succesful movies) being essentially a product, this doesn't mean it has no artistic or cultural value.

 

I found the idea of smaller movies representing "real culture" and movies made for masses representing "decading entertainment" so outdated and sometimes even elitist.

 

Formulaic "product" movies can still be made with artistic vision from the creators and impact people positively, bringing real values to the audiences. I used to make a big deal about this few years ago but now i see these Hollywood movies more in a "different" perspective than a "smaller" perspective compared to more artistic projects.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

 

No shit.  Anyone acting like this is going to continue forever into the future is mentally ill.  

 

There's a possibility that the market could permanently change even after covid goes away.

 

It seem like studios are positioning themselves for that possibility.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, grey ghost said:

 

There's a possibility that the market could permanently change even after covid goes away.

 

It seem like studios are positioning themselves for that possibility.

 

There is also a really good possibility it goes back to a new normal with a 45 day window.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed. Despite movies like Free Guy (and pretty much all succesful movies) being essentially a product, this doesn't mean it has no artistic or cultural value.

 

I found the idea of smaller movies representing "real culture" and movies made for masses representing "decading entertainment" so outdated and sometimes even elitist.

 

Formulaic "product" movies can still be made with artistic vision from the creators and impact people positively, bringing real values to the audiences. I used to make a big deal about this few years ago but now i see these Hollywood movies more in a "different" perspective than a "smaller" perspective compared to more artistic projects.

There's nothing elitist about saying the bar for big-budget movies is so damn low today. I'm not saying big budget blockbuster = bad. My favourite film of last year was literally a big-budget blockbuster.

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So Cruella 2 is happening after all. Curious if Disney will actually make another Jungle Cruise after this one also performed good in this environment (even if it's not enough for such an overbudgeted movie).

 

 

 

 

 

So, there's the payout so Emma doesn't sue:)...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7
  • Astonished 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

There's nothing elitist about saying the bar for big-budget movies is so damn low today. I'm not saying big budget blockbuster = bad. My favourite film of last year was literally a big-budget blockbuster.

I wasn't talking about what you said specifically, but more about the usual arguments surrounding this "Hollywood vs artistic movies" discussions that usually ends up being elitist and unfair.

 

I don't think you said anything elitist, just bring this discussion and i give my opinion about it generally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Agreed. Despite movies like Free Guy (and pretty much all succesful movies) being essentially a product, this doesn't mean it has no artistic or cultural value.

 

I found the idea of smaller movies representing "real culture" and movies made for masses representing "decading entertainment" so outdated and sometimes even elitist.

 

Formulaic "product" movies can still be made with artistic vision from the creators and impact people positively, bringing real values to the audiences. I used to make a big deal about this few years ago but now i see these Hollywood movies more in a "different" perspective than a "smaller" perspective compared to more artistic projects.

 

 

Let’s remember that the movies that the French New Wave critics/filmmakers had fondness for were those 30s-50s era Hollywood studio films and how that played in developing the misunderstood/abused auteur theory.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

So Cruella 2 is happening after all. Curious if Disney will actually make another Jungle Cruise after this one also performed good in this environment (even if it's not enough for such an overbudgeted movie).

 

 

 

 

If that’s the case, Disney being cheap gas bumming on ScarJo was silly 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If I'm a studio exec I'd rather not spend 85 m on a romantic comedy and then hope and pray it makes 215 m WW. I'd rather double the budget and fund something like Venom 2 and comfortably expect over 600 m WW. Also with an IP franchise you can exploit far more merchandising and ancillary opportunities. 

 

Tentpoles and popular IP's are smaller risks with way bigger revenue streams.

 

Then you have low budget stuff like Old. But how many of those movies do you need to match the profit of something like Avengers 3 and 4? And why crowd your calendar with stuff like that when it can't be tied to billions in revenue, theme parks, toys, etc?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.