Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

I am watching Blood Red Sky while reading this thread. This shit is damn entertaining. And guess what? No douchebags around me. No noise. No cellphones. This is it. This is the real movie experience. 

20 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I am watching Blood Red Sky while reading this thread. This shit is damn entertaining. And guess what? No douchebags around me. No noise. No cellphones. This is it. This is the real movie experience. 

DIE HARD meets vampires was something I never knew I wanted until this movie.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

But aren't you on your phone to type this post? 😜

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, CJohn said:

Of course it does, and that is what people fail to understand. More movies need to make money than just giant tentpoles, and there is no evidence so far those movies will make decent results. Every attempt we had at those so far was at best a nice underperformer since it was cheap and it will be profitable (looking at Purge 5 and Old here).

E1rF__1VgAk8hhb.jpg

Maybe I'm biased because I didn't like it at all but I expect a 70% drop for TSS and I dont think audience reception is as strong as some people think it is.

Those who like it really like it but I think its turning off a not insignificant portion of the audience.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I find myself far more distracted at home watching a film than I am at the theatre.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, CJohn said:

12 minutes ago, RRA said:

DIE HARD meets vampires was something I never knew I wanted until this movie.

I fuckin love this movie and recommend it to everyone around me. So much fun and mom/son scenes pull at heartstrings. Germans are really good at making offbeat genre movies/shows (see Dark). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gokira2012 said:

I blame movie theaters for the death of their business, Nato  could have got together and started a streaming service, where they would share 50% of profits with the studios, but they fought netflix every step of the way back in 2012

Movie theatres won't die. Even if streaming platforms maxed out their subscribers, they wouldnt ignore the chunk of revenue the box office generates. Worse comes to worse, they get bought out.

It's crazy that's it's been just 2 years since a movie smashed the opening weekend record and became the highest grossing movie of all time yet people think the theatre business is just going to end. It's going to take more than a pandemic to do that

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, CJohn said:

You liked this? The Mrs and I watched this the other night, we got an hour in, got bored and turned it off. Ending up watching those Fear Street movies instead in the end

Edited by Chicago

4 minutes ago, Chicago said:

You liked this? The Mrs and I watched this the other night, we got an hour in, got bored and turned it off. Ending up watching those Fear Street movies instead in the end

I thought it was really entertaining. I still need to see Fear Street 2 and 3.

4 minutes ago, Chicago said:

In fairness it takes a while to get going. My biggest complaint. Once it does though it's very fun.

Just now, CJohn said:

I thought it was really entertaining. I still need to see Fear Street 2 and 3.

The problem I have with watching films at home is I watch them in 2 sittings and sometimes forget to finish them. The benefits of having a takeaway ordered to your door whilst viewing a film from your sofa is hard to ignore though 

2 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

In fairness it takes a while to get going. My biggest complaint. Once it does though it's very fun.

I'll need to finish it. It's dubbed here which is annoying, I'd much rather subtitles. I think we were just vampired out, we'd just watched Fright Night

9 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

I don’t know, I guess I got quickly engaged when they’re doing the chemo metaphor for vampirism? Of course I also think people have less patience in general for films than they used to. I had that same thought rewatching Alien the other day: chestbursting doesn’t happen until what a hour in? Now if that isn’t in the first 15 minutes, people might be playing on their phones.

8 minutes ago, Chicago said:

I'll need to finish it. It's dubbed here which is annoying, I'd much rather subtitles. I think we were just vampired out, we'd just watched Fright Night

Yeah I hated the dub so I just went into the settings and changed the audio back to natural language and put subtitles on. 

• Like 1

BW headed for a final gross around 14x previews. Looks like TSS could be on the same track (finishing below SS’s OD).    

Being a superhero or R rated action movie with a 0 day window is some bad times for legs — really think WB should reconsider with Matrix.

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

I don’t know, I guess I got quickly engaged when they’re doing the chemo metaphor for vampirism? Of course I also think people have less patience in general for films than they used to. I had that same thought rewatching Alien the other day: chestbursting doesn’t happen until what a hour in? Now if that isn’t in the first 15 minutes, people might be playing on their phones.

Maybe it was just my expectations. Honestly felt like a film that could have benefited from myself not knowing what it was about and not watching the trailer and going in blind.

I've started doing that more often with films and have to say, it's always a positive thing and added to the film. Some trailers straight up ruin stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

BW headed for a final gross around 14x previews. Looks like TSS could be on the same track (finishing below SS’s OD).    

Being a superhero or R rated action movie with a 0 day window is some bad times for legs — really think WB should reconsider with Matrix.

MCU solo movies have been doing 19-20x, so in normalcy, it would have done, $260M ish. Loss of $75m ish in gross & $45m ish to Disney.

PA in DOM will recover that. 

Problem with PA is loss in Eastern hemisphere & LATAM isn't covered by PA.

Edit: Normalcy above means non day and date streaming. Then there's home media loss and that's gonna complicate things.

Though there's also a win-win model with say 17 days PA window.

Edited by charlie Jatinder
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dominic Brehetto said:

I've started doing that more often with films and have to say, it's always a positive thing and added to the film. Some trailers straight up ruin stuff.

It’s pretty refreshing, generally, not to watch trailers for everything. For stuff I’m very interested in, I might watch the first trailer once, when it comes out — months later I don’t really remember much of the specifics. 

• Like 4