Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 28.4, Don't Breathe 10.6, Jungle Cruise 9, Respect 8.8, TSS 7.75

5 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

MCU solo movies have been doing 19-20x, so in normalcy, it would have done, $260M ish. Loss of $75m ish in gross & $45m ish to Disney.

Question is whether PA depressed previews also. Difficult to prove but I think a “PA after a month” sort of model might have gone more like 14.5x20ish

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lokis Legion said:

Question is whether PA depressed previews also. Difficult to prove but I think a “PA after a month” sort of model might have gone more like 14.5x20ish

That’s the problem when studios treat your movies like guinea pigs: your guinea pigs sometimes die.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Lokis Legion said:

BW headed for a final gross around 14x previews. Looks like TSS could be on the same track (finishing below SS’s OD).    

Being a superhero or R rated action movie with a 0 day window is some bad times for legs — really think WB should reconsider with Matrix.

What a depressing number lol 

40 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Next weekend will be brutal. Under 10m for Reminiscence and Night House (under 5m?). Maybe 10m for Paw Patrol. 9 or 10 for Free Guy pending WOM

Expecting Free Guy to win the weekend with like 12M. Would be only the 2nd movie of summer to top its 2nd weekend after F9

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Plain Old Tele said:

It’s pretty refreshing, generally, not to watch trailers for everything. 

I started this process like three years ago, and it’s just awesome. I love going in blind. 

• Like 1

So, OT, but since it's comedy opener weekend, I literally just watched another early fall release comedy that somehow I don't remember even coming out...and I was following movies then...and this actually had stars and made box office...and SO speaks to my area...

If you have Prime Video, Amazon is putting Burn After Reading high up in my current "you may like" profile, even though I've watched almost no Prime movies:)...I haven't watched a movie like this is a long time.  It was a breath of fresh air, even as it was the most implausible and yet somehow funny movie I've seen lately.  And I respected the movie for knowing how and when to end - that part truly was perfect.

I don't even know what to grade it...it's not good, but it's great...that makes no sense, but then most of the movie doesn't, but it does:)...I guess I'd say B/B- right now, but I would recommend it, especially b/c it's a short fun 90ish minutes for no cost and no effort:)...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cap said:

I started this process like three years ago, and it’s just awesome. I love going in blind. 

Going blind is awesome. I remember loving Palm Springs knowing nothing about when starting it. 

Anyways, Free Guy was worse in this regard, I bet atleast 15 mins of film is already there in TV spots and clips. Weird. Disney never do that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Going blind is awesome. I remember loving Palm Springs knowing nothing about when starting it. 

Anyways, Free Guy was worse in this regard, I bet atleast 15 mins of film is already there in TV spots and clips. Weird. Disney never do that.

Why you don’t watch TV spots! 😂

• Like 1

I think we could ultimately get to a place where the movies that were gonna be big breakouts end up doing close to what they would have done anyway (i.e. Free Guy/Jungle Cruise), but what used to be average performers/mild disappointments slide down the scale and become huge disappointments or flops. I think consumers choices will be more on the margins now, so that's why the winners will still win but the underperformers really look bad.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

I learned a long time ago not to watch any promo clips (to say nothing of TV spots and trailers). Getting a movie fed to me 1% at a time is my own personal hell at this point. 😂

• Like 1