Free Guy (2021)  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

The overuse of Fantasy in both the promotional material and the actual movie itself is rather annoying. It's a nice tune, but they really overdid it.

Otherwise, this was a pretty good time! What easily could've been disposable entertanment elevates itself into genuine quality thanks to the surprisingly robust story, endearing characters and all around great humour. I really did not see all the emotional scenes coming, especially in a Ryan Reynolds vehicle.

Oh, and there are some 5-star cameos here. You really don't want the last one in particular spoiled. It's a doozy.

Definitely worth a watch, either now in theaters or later this fall when it drops on VOD in 45 days.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 2:23 PM, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The overuse of Fantasy in both the promotional material and the actual movie itself is rather annoying. It's a nice tune, but they really overdid it.

It’s one of the main reasons that got me interested, ha. 

Overall I’d give it a 4/5 only two problems:

The Disney cameos/surprises/references at the end actually undercut the message of the film a bit lol, so that didn’t work at all and kind of took me out of it for a bit.

The villain is hopeless too, no threat. 

Well, I'm going to gush here for a bit because this is the best movie I've seen this year.  It did everything really well imo.  The message of the movie is something that is universal and very apropos for the times we are living in.  Reynolds was born to play this role and it's kind of one step beneath Deadpool for the character.  The cameos are terrific, and left me smiling and clapping.  

But best of all, it's a lot of fun.  Fun like an old school blast of a summer film.  I enjoyed it from start to finish.  The villain, imo, (sorry @Krissykins ) was very well done.  He was slimy and despicable and only cared for money and nothing for people.  That made him formidable.

I found the love story to be a huge pay off in the end and it even got me a little lump in my my throat when Millie finally figures out that she's in love with her best friend.  

I guess this movie just hit me in all the right places.  

I loved this one.

9.5/10

This really surpassed my expectations from when the first trailer premiered (figured it would turn out to be another one of those overpriced Ryan Reynolds bombs). Essentially an enjoyable combination of The Truman Show and Ready Player One, this has a lot of fun with the tropes of video games while turning into a highly entertaining adventure. This actually feels like an even better vehicle for Reynolds than either of the Deadpools: he's likable without needing to turn on his trademarked sarcastic demeanor much of the time, making Guy a delightful protagonist to spend two hours with. Helps that he's backed by a strong supporting cast including a charming Jodie Comer, Joe "Steve Harrington" Keery, and a deliciously over-the-top Taika Waititi (plus a ton of amazing cameos). I actually disagree with @BadOlCatSylvester about the prominent use of Mariah Carey's "Fantasy" within the film: the song fits right in with the theme of the movie as well as its light and breezy tone (plus it's a damn good song lol). It's the kind of movie that should please everyone regardless of whether they're into video games or not. B+

• Like 1

This was fun, light, harmless entertainment. It's just a good time at the cinema and the sort of thing everyone will enjoy. 

The endearing positivity of it was refreshing and the romance plot-line was a surprisingly strong core for the film. The whole cast have great chemistry with each other. Really heartwarming. I'm on board for Reynolds so I could watch him on being a lovable doofus anytime of the day and I'd be happy. Comer is already a star in my heart as well and I can't wait for the rest of her career. 

Like others have said it takes a template of The Truman Show, Lego Movie etc. and it's not a bad riff, nor does it feel wrought. It works for a story of self discovery. 

Not all of the humour lands, especially around Waititi. But there's enough chuckles and a few incredible moments especially towards the end. Genuinely 'fist pumping', 'big smile on your face' type moments. 

Action was solid all around, I wasn't expecting much but it surprised me and the big CGI moments are also fun to watch. 

Some of the 'gamer' lingo was cringe inducing but what you gonna do with these kind of films. 

7/10 

Edited by FilmFincher
  • Like 1