WrathOfHan

Weekend Thread: Free Guy 18.79M (34% drop!) | PAW Patrol 13M, Jungle Cruise 6.2M | Protégé 2.9M, Night House 2.87M, Legendary Flop Reminiscence 2M (Worst opening for a movie in 3K theaters!)

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Free Guy is benefitting from both really good WOM and a completely open marketplace. Given how empty September will be for the most part, I can see it sticking around for a while.

Yeah not gonna lie I haven't heard anyone in the real world talk about Candyman. We'll see over the next week if it gains traction or if it's destined to be another Doctor Sleep.

great news for shang chi

• Like 2

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didn't expect much from Candyman even back in 2019. Peele's name aside, Candyman was never that popular of a horror series to begin with (I never even heard of it prior to this new movie's announcement) and while I think the film looks good, nothing about the trailers make me think it was going to be some massive breakout. When the trailer dropped, more people were talking about Nia DaCosta's name not being credited on the trade's headlines than the movie itself IIRC (which I fully supported and was all for I might add), so I don't really think people were buzzing that much for the movie itself. Could very well be wrong though, and I'm rooting for it regardless

• Like 2

Re: Free Guy benefiting from open field. I've been saying for a long time now, open market is a good thing for SC delta or not. It'll chug along cause there's nothing else and since reactions say it's a fun movie, it should hold well regardless of OW (but that is looking to be very good too). By nothing else I mean US cause Dune lands in Europe 2 weeks later so that will be a competition. 

Edited by Valonqar

9 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I didn't expect much from Candyman even back in 2019. Peele's name aside, Candyman was never that popular of a horror series to begin with (I never even heard of it prior to this new movie's announcement) and while I think the film looks good, nothing about the trailers make me think it was going to be some massive breakout. When the trailer dropped, more people were talking about Nia DaCosta's name not being credited on the trade's headlines than the movie itself IIRC (which I fully supported and was all for I might add), so I don't really think people were buzzing that much for the movie itself. Could very well be wrong though, and I'm rooting for it regardless

Luckily it likely didn't cost much to make so unless it somehow makes less than what the 1992 original did ($25M, an average even for that era number that landed it outside the top 50 of that year) the studio probably won't sweat it too much.

10 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

It's a bit of a in the heights people trying to will it into being a hit me thinks.

you should watch candyman tho. it's the best horror film of the 90s.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Awareness for Candyman coming back out is really low - they need to use good reviews to give it a hype boost because it just hasn't had time to restart the marketing. Sales are okay near here but I know a ton of people hyped when the trailer dropped who have no clue the movie is coming now.

26 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

It's selling on pace with Old at the theater I track, but every sale is for Dolby so far (just like Old this far out). It'll be more susceptible to franchise frontloading and possibly mixed WOM given how late the embargo drops, so 13-14M is my expectation right now.

18 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Yeah not gonna lie I haven't heard anyone in the real world talk about Candyman. We'll see over the next week if it gains traction or if it's destined to be another Doctor Sleep.

14 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

This is pretty worrying, it’s quite buzzy here. But Candyman is a very famous film here in the UK, especially with my generation. 

The trailer views were fantastic for a pre pandemic for a horror. One of the trailers uploaded last month has 26m views. I thought awareness was really high. It’s hard for me to tell because they hit me with all the targeted ads 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Reminiscence would have made less than $15M total even in a pandemic-free, theatrical-exclusive environment. A dumped dud if there ever was one.

Rebecca Ferguson is so unlucky outside of The Greatest Showman and the Mission Impossible sequels.

Doctor Sleep was excellent though. 

• Like 1

I don't see Candyman doing very well either since the only GA hook is Jordan Peele's name, and even then he's not the director. We might be seeing him become the black James Cameron in the near future.

The review embargo being just a couple of days before the movie is worrying too, although I hope it turns out well.

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The trailer views were fantastic for a pre pandemic for a horror. One of the trailers uploaded last month has 26m views. I thought awareness was really high. It’s hard for me to tell because they hit me with all the targeted ads 

The likes on that trailer are far too low for 26M views. My guess is that it's because it was used quite frequently as an ad by YouTube. Those count towards the view count.

2 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

The likes on that trailer are far too low for 26M views. My guess is that it's because it was used quite frequently as an ad by YouTube. Those count towards the view count.

And? That doesn’t mean people aren’t seeing the trailer. We were talking about awareness. The Facebook version has 7.2m. We know there’s auto play and that’s why some of the films end up with over 100m etc.