Eric Atreides

Cinemacon 2021 Discussion Thread | Clifford gets screened!

18 minutes ago, AJG said:

i don’t understand how the binge model for their TV shows is still sustainable. HBO, Disney, Hulu, Paramount, and Apple have seemingly abandoned it. 

They don't need weekly releases. They have tons and tons of new seasons every month. Amazon still does the binge model in most occasions too.

17 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I was about to snark in the Netflix thread that they're bringing back ABC's Movie of the Week except...

They're releasing films on back to back days and in some cases releasing three films in a day.  So it's even more than the fabled Movie of the Week from yesteryear

Okay, it's mostly coz I couldn't workshop the joke quite right — sue me j1aUlyv.gif.

I don't mind that they're doing this.  The loss of the MOTW was a big blow to mid-level and pseduo-independent industry folks that could keep their Guild Card and get away with selling one MOTW a year.  Hopefully Netflix will use it to give new talent an opportunity to show off their work.  I just don't think we should kid ourselves at thinking it's anything more than a MOTW.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CJohn said:

They don't need weekly releases. They have tons and tons of new seasons every month. Amazon still does the binge model in most occasions too.

It’s not about the amount of shows they have. 

1 season of a Netflix show feel like they only get 1 or 2 weeks of popularity before we forget they ever happened.
A weekly release allows Netflix to turn 1 season of a show into 8 weeks of new content (and 8 weeks for shows build and expand their audiences).

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

You need only look at the ones getting a theatrical release before hitting the streamer to see which ones Netflix genuinely has faith in. 

Rebecca Hall’s Passing, with Tessa Thompson

The Starling, with Melissa McCarthy reuniting with director Theodore Melfi who made St Vincent. Did Hidden Figures too. 

Antoine Fuqua’s The Guilty, with Jake Gyllenhaal, Paul Dano and Ethan Hawke

The Harder They Fall - Revenge western with Idris Elba, Regina King and Zazie Beetz

Lin Manuel Miranda’s ‘tick, tick…Boom’ with Andrew Garfield

Bruised - Halle Berry directing and starring as a disgraced MMA fighter on the comeback trail

Jane Campion’s The Power of the Dog. Romantic western with Benedict Cumberbatch and Kirsten Dunst. 

The Unforgivable - Sandra Bullock drama with Viola Davis, Vincent D’Onofrio, Jon Bernthal

Paolo Sorrentino’s The Hand of God

and of course, the big one….

Adam McKay’s Don’t Look Up with the most ridiculous cast you’re ever likely to see. 
DiCaprio, Streep, Blanchett, Lawrence, Chalamet, Rylance, and a whole other load of names. 

Honestly, I would anticipate a bunch of those are going to be major awards/film of the year players, so yeah - there’s definitely some absolute top quality movies in there that will probably get less streams than ‘My Little Pony: A New Generation’ - which hits September 24th y’all!!! 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Honestly, I would anticipate a bunch of those are going to be major awards/film of the year players, so yeah - there’s definitely some absolute top quality movies in there that will probably get less streams than ‘My Little Pony: A New Generation’ - which hits September 24th y’all!!! 

James Marsden voicing one of the ponies will never not be funny to me

• Haha 1