Eric Duncan

Cinemacon 2021 Discussion Thread | Clifford gets screened!

3 minutes ago, Cmasterclay said:

Cyrano is apparently going to Telluride, the film festival where you are least likely to hide a critical bomb given it attracts all the big American critics.

I heard about that, but Telluride has had films like Motherless Brooklyn premiere there. I expect it to get middling reviews at best. Wright's American track record so far has been piss poor too.

4 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What is going on with this movie? Skipping festivals, no promotional material 3 months before release. Title and cast (rumored to include Sean Penn) still unconfirmed. I know PTA is private but sheesh

IIRC Phantom Thread was also this secretive in terms of title, release, and promo material. I guess that's just the way he rolls and he has the clout to do it.

6 minutes ago, Free Eric said:

IIRC Phantom Thread was also this secretive in terms of title, release, and promo material. I guess that's just the way he rolls and he has the clout to do it.

The difference is that Phantom Thread had a shorter production timetable since it filmed in January for a December release. This new movie began production last summer so it should presumably be ready by now. All his films have had some level of early promo or festival screenings. But yeah, I guess you're right. He calls the shots, he's PTA. You'd think MGM would want the buzz out on a movie like this but he'd going to do what he wants to do 🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

The Bond clip was incredible.  House of Gucci didn't have any new footage, they only played the trailer.  

Thirteen Lives is going to be a hit if reviews are good with an outstanding cast and the footage was great.  Dog with Channing Tatum is also going to be a hit.  

I loved the trailer for the Peter Dinklage/Joe Wright musical.  Looks beautiful.  

MGM coming back is no STX.  I won't be surprised if they are one of the better studios moving forward.  

Legit question, I am serious here. This isn't a bit or anything. Is MGM continuing with the theatrical releases after getting bought by Amazon? I always assumed that after this year everything would go to Amazon. 

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Legit question, I am serious here. This isn't a bit or anything. Is MGM continuing with the theatrical releases after getting bought by Amazon? I always assumed that after this year everything would go to Amazon. 

They have zero interest in not releasing theatrical content according to the words from the mouths of their 3 top executives today.  I think pretty much everything they do will go to theaters.  

Every single studio is going to comply with a 45 day window in 2022.  It's a done deal for the most part.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, EmpireCity said:

WB is the first presentation where I think they might get some mild boo's unless they come out strong.  Disney was too chicken shit to show up.  

didn't NATO release a scathing press release about Disney concerning Black Widow? I can't say I blame them for ditching cinemacon

8 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

They have zero interest in not releasing theatrical content according to the words from the mouths of their 3 top executives today.  I think pretty much everything they do will go to theaters.  

Every single studio is going to comply with a 45 day window in 2022.  It's a done deal for the most part.  

This is great news, they have imo a mostly strong lineup. Everyone wins really, theaters gets the goods and Amazon plays them exclusively after 45 days in their streaming platform.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

WB is the first presentation where I think they might get some mild boo's unless they come out strong.  Disney was too chicken shit to show up.  

Has anyone said anything about the alleged Venom delay?

https://bleedingcool.com/movies/cinemacon-2021-join-us-for-our-warner-bros-presentation-liveblog/

K - "Speaking directly to our partners" they say over a pre-recorded message
K - Oh god this is so tone deaf. The crowd is not buying it at all.
K - The whole crowd just laughed when they skirted around the HBO Max thing.
K - They have not addressed it at... ALL!

Good job guys!

• Haha 2