The Wild Eric

Cinemacon 2021 Discussion Thread | Clifford gets screened!

30 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Almost like the two biggest producing studios feel like they can make it without the theaters.... oh wait, thats what their behavior has been, so it makes sense. 

Huh, pretty weird that one of those producing studios has already signed multiple commitments to a minimum 45 day exclusive window with the biggest theatrical exhibitors in the world.  

It's almost like they found out they lose a shitload of money by not releasing exclusive in theaters and can't wait to undo the idiotic mistake their AT&T overlords forced upon them....

• Like 5

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Thirteen Lives was the one that keeps sticking with me.  It feels like the high level version of Ron Howard films.  

After hitting arguably the nadir of his career with Hillbilly Elegy, he really has nowhere to go but up with his next projects.

Also I'm not surprised WB's panel was an apparently short one even without the whole HBO Max mess considering they're already back to withholding daily box office numbers again. Get the sense their spirits also aren't very high these days between discovering that the expensive trifecta of In the Heights/Space Jam 2/The Suicide Squad were clearly destined to deliver disappointing returns compared to their expectations/budgets no matter the release environment and having just seen one of their worst wide openings ever.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Huh, pretty weird that one of those producing studios has already signed multiple commitments to a minimum 45 day exclusive window with the biggest theatrical exhibitors in the world.  

It's almost like they found out they lose a shitload of money by not releasing exclusive in theaters and can't wait to undo the idiotic mistake their AT&T overlords forced upon them....

Truth. My sarcasm should have been more focused on the ATT side, particularly with the way they handled the presentation. 

Universal / Focus panel was great.  

I am not a Michael Bay fan, but the extended footage of Ambulance (it wasn't a trailer) was surprisingly damn good.  I enjoyed the trailer for The Black Phone, think that is going to do very well.  

New footage from Jurassic World: Dominion was great, going to be a huge massive hit.  The 355 looks terrible.  Marry Me looked terrible, but the crowd gave it a huge cheer.  As mentioned above, I won't bet against the music duo behind Dear Evan Hansen, has a chance to be a breakout hit.  

Belfast looks really good, but the box office on that is so specific and going to be limited.  Downton Abbey footage/trailer killed with the audience as expected. 

Last Night in Soho is going to be great, but I liked the first trailer compared to this one.  

By far the most bonkers thing they showed was extended footage for The Northman.  Holy shit I can't wait to see this.  I don't know what the box office potential will be, but it was fucking great.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I enjoyed the trailer for The Black Phone, think that is going to do very well.  

I’ve seen some great reactions to this!

You're so lucky getting to see the Scream stuff today!! Please report back 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

By far the most bonkers thing they showed was extended footage for The Northman.  Holy shit I can't wait to see this.  I don't know what the box office potential will be, but it was fucking great.  

GIMME GIMME GIMME

The first 13 minutes of Top Gun and the new trailer were great.  Going to be a huge cinema hit.  

The star of the show was Mission: Impossible behind the scenes and sizzle reel.  I didn't think they could top the previous stunts, but the simple fact is Tom Cruise is a fucking madman.  The stunt and the sizzle reel both looked incredible and bigger and better than anything that has come before it.  

LOL at the decision to screen Clifford: The Big Red Dog in full to the CinemaCon audience.  Audible groans and nearly everyone emptied the second they started playing it.  Whoever made that call for Paramount was a damn fool.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Krissykins said:

I’ve seen some great reactions to this!

You're so lucky getting to see the Scream stuff today!! Please report back 

Unfortunately they cared more about screening Clifford to a room full of adults instead of doing something useful like showing off their upcoming slate.  

• Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Unfortunately they cared more about screening Clifford to a room full of adults instead of doing something useful like showing off their upcoming slate.  

they should play the movie first, then give them Tom Cruise stuff.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Amorphous said:

Ridiculous on Paramount's end. LOL

It's an insult, to be honest.  You have thousands of theater owners that travel from around the country and around the world even (though not as much this year) and spend thousands of dollars to attend this.  Paramount has a captive audience and the perfect chance to give even the smallest amount of preview or marketing materials so theater owners can start to formulate their own marketing around your films.  

This is all adults that mostly range from 30 years old to 70 years old, and someone from your studio leadership gave the ok and thought it would be a good idea to play a small kids movie in full that you recently pulled from theaters and have no idea if or when you will put back in theaters?  

Total incompetence.  

• Like 7